Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus/Apple synergy…?

12 hours ago, Mincey said:

Dreadful tat. Trouble is, their stuff is very successfully marketed to sheep.

Not really, their laptops and phones / apple CarPlay hold their own and sync seamlessly. But, I agree their marketing is the best in the business, similar model to BMW.
To market a mass produced consumer item as prestigious to the heights of exclusive, then to get millions of people to believe it in a hive mind is truly genius. 

13 hours ago, HMT said:

I cannot find that face ….. which model of watch is that?

I found the image online and then added it to the photos on my Iphone and then used it as a watch face….you could do this with any image really…

13 hours ago, Mincey said:

Dreadful tat. Trouble is, their stuff is very successfully marketed to sheep.

I’ll pencil you in then, James, as definitely not a fan. 🫤

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Al D-Much said:

Not really, their laptops and phones / Apple CarPlay hold their own and sync seamlessly. But, I agree their marketing is the best in the business, similar model to BMW.
To market a mass produced consumer item as prestigious to the heights of exclusive, then to get millions of people to believe it in a hive mind is truly genius. 

I'd question your first sentence - working for an MSP I get to find out what users really think about their apple products, and not what they say to their aspirational friends. My company's parent company has connections to Foxconn so we are made to use iPhones for business and there is no way in Hell that the vast majority of us would use them unless we had to or have ones for personal use.

Your comment about their marketing though is spot on. If apple were to put their logo on wee beige jobbies, they would fly off the shelves by the million.

18 minutes ago, Mincey said:

I'd question your first sentence - working for an MSP I get to find out what users really think about their Apple products, and not what they say to their aspirational friends. My company's parent company has connections to Foxconn so we are made to use iPhones for business and there is no way in Hell that the vast majority of us would use them unless we had to or have ones for personal use.

Your comment about their marketing though is spot on. If Apple were to put their logo on wee beige jobbies, they would fly off the shelves by the million.

'wee beige jobbies'. I want one, or should that be, I want them, or, I want a pair 😉

33 minutes ago, Mincey said:

I'd question your first sentence - working for an MSP I get to find out what users really think about their Apple products, and not what they say to their aspirational friends. My company's parent company has connections to Foxconn so we are made to use iPhones for business and there is no way in Hell that the vast majority of us would use them unless we had to or have ones for personal use.

Your comment about their marketing though is spot on. If Apple were to put their logo on wee beige jobbies, they would fly off the shelves by the million.

I missed a bit in my first sentence.
The apple products work very well together, as long as you are willing to live in the apple walled garden. Try anything outside their "box" and yes I agree it's very frustrating.
Where I work we have a mix of apple and Lenovo (WIN) products, for us they are a much of a muchness in comparison. 

• Like 1

Me and Microsoft don't get on. To say the least, I'm always frustrated by the clunky, unintuitive user interface (my BBC B/RISC OS computers were way better) and Office is a poorly integrated mash-up of programs originally bought in from other companies. MS is responsible for 80% of the stress in my life. My tombstone will say "RIP, free of Microsoft at last". LoL.

In preparation for retirement, I bought an apple Macbook and apple tablet. I hadn't used apple products before and I'm still learning but I agree with Alex' comments completely and as I don't want to live in Apple's walled garden, I'm still frustrated with my computing experience.

Incidentally, I still use a RISC PC emulator to access my old Acorn software and I've recently bought a Raspberry Pi for the same reason. The software, once amongst the best, is dated but still useable and intuitive because the user interface was so well thought out. 

The reason I don't like apple products is the fact that they "lock down" the entire operating system so that you can't make even small and trivial changes to how they function. Android products on the other hand are much more customisable (via the Settings or third party apps). I realise that this can potentially make them more vulnerable to malicious software and malware if you don't know what you're doing but you just need to be vigilant and use approved apps on the Google Play Store.

For example, we bought an expensive iPad for my 4 year old grandson who likes to watch YouTube Kids. This app has an inbuilt volume slider that you can't disable through the app's settings (don't get me started on that! 😡). So guess what? The little blighter is always moving the slider to full volume, so it's a constant battle with him to get the volume down to more tolerable levels.  There's also no way (as far as I could see) to set a maximum speaker volume through the iPad settings. So I thought I'd check the apple app store to see if a third party app exists to do this but couldn't find a single one. So when it came to buying a second tablet for him to use at home, we went down the Android route (a Samsung) where there are numerous apps in the Play Store that allow you to restrict the volume - so no more "turn it down Adam!" 😄

I think apple products are primarily for people who aren't necessarily techy and just want the device to work "straight out of the box" without any tinkering. I don't have an issue with that but for me I like the ability to make some tweaks to improve the user experience a bit more. I have to admit though that apple products are on the whole more aesthetically pleasing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Andy B said:

The reason I don't like Apple products is the fact that they "lock down" the entire operating system so that you can't make even small and trivial changes to how they function. Android products on the other hand are much more customisable (via the Settings or third party apps). I realise that this can potentially make them more vulnerable to malicious software and malware if you don't know what you're doing but you just need to be vigilant and use approved apps on the Google Play Store.

For example, we bought an expensive iPad for my 4 year old grandson who likes to watch YouTube Kids. This app has an inbuilt volume slider that you can't disable through the app's settings (don't get me started on that! 😡). So guess what? The little blighter is always moving the slider to full volume, so it's a constant battle with him to get the volume down to more tolerable levels.  There's also no way (as far as I could see) to set a maximum speaker volume through the iPad settings. So I thought I'd check the Apple app store to see if a third party app exists to do this but couldn't find a single one. So when it came to buying a second tablet for him to use at home, we went down the Android route (a Samsung) where there are numerous apps in the Play Store that allow you to restrict the volume - so no more "turn it down Adam!" 😄

I think Apple products are primarily for people who aren't necessarily techy and just want the device to work "straight out of the box" without any tinkering. I don't have an issue with that but for me I like the ability to make some tweaks to improve the user experience a bit more. I have to admit though that Apple products are on the whole more aesthetically pleasing.

Exactly why I don't like apple - too locked down.  If you want to do something that apple haven't anticipated, or even do something in a different way to the "apple way", you typically can't.

Having said that, Microsoft Teams is the bane of my life and I would happily consign its designers to the nether regions of hell!

• Like 3

For private use over the better part of two decades I have never had anything other than various generations of a MacBook, an Iphone and an iPod (the latter now commercially defunct but still fine for the car).  I once also had an iWatch but was never comfortable with it, not least because it made me feel nerdy. While realizing full well that I am locked into an apple ecosystem from which there is no easy escape, I don’t resent my captivity for the simple reason that I have always found each and all of the devices easy to use, totally reliable, and aesthetically pleasing.  Maybe there are competitors with equally good and functional products, but I have never felt any urge to go out and find them.

• Like 1

On 2/9/2023 at 1:02 PM, Simon F said:

Microsoft Teams is the bane of my life and I would happily consign its designers to the nether regions of hell!

Ah, yes!
MS took brother and sister Messenger and Skype, arranged a marriage between them and they had a child. The deformed abomination was christened TEAMS

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links