Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What OBD reader/scanner do you fellow is250 drivers use?

Got my techstream CD's and OBD plug/lead today. Managed downloading techstream but having trouble with the lead as it won't download even after shutting down Internet connection and my anti virus software/firewall. Am waiting for the seller to get back to me about that.

I'm thinking of getting a cheap old laptop with windows 7, would also be able to play some old games on it 🙂

11 hours ago, Mr Vlad said:

Got my techstream CD's and OBD plug/lead today. Managed downloading techstream but having trouble with the lead as it won't download even after shutting down Internet connection and my anti virus software/firewall. Am waiting for the seller to get back to me about that.

I'm thinking of getting a cheap old laptop with windows 7, would also be able to play some old games on it 🙂

You can easily set up a virtual machine with XP so you don't get another laptop just for this. I followed this tutorial a few years ago and works wonders

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Mr Vlad said:

Yeah... any old laptop will do. Something like that ... £93 - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/275519351011 and you don't need to be careful if you have oily hands etc. 

It's ok Linas. Got everything sorted. It's my anti virus which kiboshed things lol. Just waiting for a license key then I'm up and running. The guy I bought from is ace. He's helped with everything I've thrown at him.

• Like 1

Ok boys. Got Techstream up and running and connected to my car and followed the prompts to recognise my car. However I've got stuck on the last point. See pic below and please tell me which version to click on. Sorry for the poor quality of the pic.

20230215_155753.thumb.jpg.f83e375cd94f8b71612ede641ecc3b92.jpg

These are the dates, ie, first one is any model up to September 2008. Second one is September 2008 to November 2008 and so on.

I think something went wrong with the last ones though :laughing:

• Thanks 1

@Mr Vlad and @Linas.P May i ask what sort of features does techstream offer beyond code reading and general option enabling/key coding? 

I see a few videos online but they all focus on windows, lights, key programming and code reading. Is there anything else that software does or is that about it?  

For example? Can it read VVTI timing? Fuel ratios etc... i would assume this is beyond techstreams means but it's worth asking.

9 minutes ago, MrTrendizzle said:

@Mr Vlad and @Linas.P May i ask what sort of features does techstream offer beyond code reading and general option enabling/key coding? 

I see a few videos online but they all focus on windows, lights, key programming and code reading. Is there anything else that software does or is that about it?  

For example? Can it read VVTI timing? Fuel ratios etc... i would assume this is beyond techstreams means but it's worth asking.

Beyond simple OBD2 reader Techstream can read the codes from each module directly (those are not seen on OBD2), it can calibrate the modules, reset modules and configure what is available for that car.

You can read fuel ratio on simple OBD2 anyway, and so you can do it on Techstream. You obviously can't change it on either. I am not sure if OBD2 has so called "instructed" vs. actual fuel ratio, but Techstream shows both. The VVTI timing maps and fuel ratio maps would be in ECU programming, so those cannot be seen by either of the scanners. ECU decoder/programmer is needed for this - not aware of any off the shelf available for say IS250, but I have seen people soldering pins on ECU terminals and finding the ways to change the ECU programming.

• Like 1

Long and short term fuel trims can be read with any boggo scanner and it's well worth looking into these as it's a great insight into how well (or not) a car is running, long term values of +- 4 percent ish are generally ok, anything above 5 or 6 percent is a bit iffy - engine light is usually tripped at 10 percent or so 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MrTrendizzle said:

May i ask what sort of features does techstream offer beyond code reading and general option enabling/key coding? 

It's the same software diagnostics program that Lexus techs use in the dealer workshops, so it can do anything that they would need to do. As hobby or DIY mechanics we'll probably not need most of what it does but it's nice to have, just in case.

If you look at Post No. 14 in this thread, I still reckon the best thing about it is that it gives sub-codes when/where needed as well as main codes.

• Like 1

On 2/15/2023 at 5:01 PM, Mr Vlad said:

Thanks Herbie. When using it should the check engine light be on when techstream is on?

Doesn't matter my friend. If it was on but then reset itself, any codes will still be stored as 'Historic'.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Herbie said:

It's the same software diagnostics program that Lexus techs use in the dealer workshops, so it can do anything that they would need to do. As hobby or DIY mechanics we'll probably not need most of what it does but it's nice to have, just in case.

If you look at Post No. 14 in this thread, I still reckon the best thing about it is that it gives sub-codes when/where needed as well as main codes.

It is kind of nit-picking, but it is "same level" of diagnostics as dealer, not the same software. I am pretty sure dealers would use something more modern like Denso or Maxxis computers with wifi/bluetooth which are like £3000+, because Techstream interface is kind of dated and slow, but that is decent deal considering it doesn't cost said £3000. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links