Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Switch to normal is300h ?

After having my f sport for last 2 weeks I’m really disappointed in the ride quality in turms if noise and comfort i can feel everything, there in Bridgestone race tyers atm 18 inch, Lexus said the ride will be harder but souldnt be much diffrent to the standard trim, they have admited they feel they have mislead me in the sale by saying the suspension was the same and offers me a exchange, gutted to lose the f sport dial but with it if I can hear my self think when I drive. Just wanted peoples input on the difference between the f sport and normal suspension and souldnt just try changing tyers or wheels, but what I gather it may reduce some of the noise it can’t solve the hard suspension 

I have had two Volvo's previous to my getting IS300h comfort & my wife tells me the IS is quiter & smoother than both.

I must say it rides potholes a lot quiter without the clanks.

Mine has standard suspension & 17" tyres.

• Like 1

The ride isnt massively better on the different trim levels to be honest.

It's one of the smoother cars in its class so if you're troubled by it you'll need to step up to something like a GS or E class size

• Like 1

It will reward you on the bends stick with the F Sport suspension take it for a spirited drive on a twisty road & you will soon appreciate it.  Ensure tyre pressures are set correctly if i'm not mistaken 36psi all around. They are not run flats so should be smooth ride.

Keep in mind this time of year local Councils generally wait until the winter passes then send the roadwork repairs out so the roads are more pot holed than usual is why you could well be experiencing it more so than normal. Not that I recommend swerving but I do have habit of avoiding pot holes where possible ever since I broke a Coil spring in another car many moons ago + keeps your wheel alignment in check. 

• Like 1

A quieter tyre may be easier to get than a different suspension. Continental UltraContact has low noise and lower fuel consume than most sports tyres and still have good braking class A in wet. They are summer tyres, so no good in really cold, frosty or snow, but with the global warming everybody keeps speaking about, that should not be a problem. Most of the year summer tyres and if going to Norway in Winter you need different.

• Like 1

When I was considering to buy mine, I tested about 10 cars, both f sports and premier. it definitely was a difference in between these two sets. But for me it was more the steering sharpness, than the suspension softness. I remember I thought then that it's possibly because of different rims (different offset or width). That was my assumption. But I thought that F sport would become annoying for every day driving after long term of ownership(especially if it's not your second car), and my choice was - Premier, which I never regret. Anyway the car is a bit noisy on motorways. why I think it's because of tyres. Gonna change tyres anyway within couple of months, and report here about the results. 

• Like 1

I just had new rears on Fsport and replaced with same as fitted originally, Bridgestone turanza er33. Car is quiet on mways, a bit of rear tyre noise, good bump and pothole absorbtion. Get 4 wheel alignment done to avoid wear on rear inner treads.

20230217_103659.jpg

20230217_103645.jpg

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, mikejt said:

I just had new rears on Fsport and replaced with same as fitted originally, Bridgestone turanza er33. Car is quiet on mways, a bit of rear tyre noise, good bump and pothole absorbtion. Get 4 wheel alignment done to avoid wear on rear inner treads.

20230217_103659.jpg

20230217_103645.jpg

Alignment can't do a lot in that trye wear regard because camber isn't adjustable.

18 hours ago, Digifant said:

When I was considering to buy mine, I tested about 10 cars, both f sports and premier. it definitely was a difference in between these two sets. But for me it was more the steering sharpness, than the suspension softness. I remember I thought then that it's possibly because of different rims (different offset or width). That was my assumption. But I thought that F sport would become annoying for every day driving after long term of ownership(especially if it's not your second car), and my choice was - Premier, which I never regret. Anyway the car is a bit noisy on motorways. why I think it's because of tyres. Gonna change tyres anyway within couple of months, and report here about the results. 

I went with the quietest: michelin primacy 4 VOL which are rated 69db of noise I think and A for fuel. https://www.asdatyres.co.uk/michelin/primacy-4/225-45-17-91-w--primacy-4

16 minutes ago, Mr_Groundhog said:

Alignment can't do a lot in that trye wear regard because camber isn't adjustable.

I went with the quietest: michelin primacy 4 VOL which are rated 69db of noise I think and A for fuel. https://www.asdatyres.co.uk/michelin/primacy-4/225-45-17-91-w--primacy-4

Im looking for new front tyres as well isnt the front size meant to be 225 40 vs 45? Or can we use either? Im not very happy with 40 as i find the ride quite hard especially at the recommend 36psi. I found the ride gets a bit better if i go long without topping up the air.  This is the first car ive owned that needs 36 psi vs ~30-32 on most other cars I have had. 

1 hour ago, Notamech said:

Im looking for new front tyres as well isnt the front size meant to be 225 40 vs 45? Or can we use either? Im not very happy with 40 as i find the ride quite hard especially at the recommend 36psi. I found the ride gets a bit better if i go long without topping up the air.  This is the first car ive owned that needs 36 psi vs ~30-32 on most other cars I have had. 

I wouldn't do this if I were you. switch to smaller rims if hard ride is critical for you. I always try too keep 36psi, because there's strong feel of flat tyre ride otherwise, which I find very annoying. Also check your tyres age. Mine are 2019 production date. by now I'm using them for 4 years, and it feels like they become much harder for the last 1.5 years.

On 2/9/2023 at 6:14 PM, Dantebloom said:

After having my f sport for last 2 weeks I’m really disappointed in the ride quality in turms if noise and comfort i can feel everything, there in Bridgestone race tyers atm 18 inch, Lexus said the ride will be harder but souldnt be much diffrent to the standard trim, they have admited they feel they have mislead me in the sale by saying the suspension was the same and offers me a exchange, gutted to lose the f sport dial but with it if I can hear my self think when I drive. Just wanted peoples input on the difference between the f sport and normal suspension and souldnt just try changing tyers or wheels, but what I gather it may reduce some of the noise it can’t solve the hard suspension 

Sounds like test drive would have been good idea? In my experience at it's softest setting F-Sport is about the same as "normal" car, but then it has hard and harder modes. 

That said I believe most of the issue can be fixed with different tyres. The Bridgestone Turanzas which normally comes with this model are generally quite bad tyres, they have okeyish thread life, but sub-par in all other departments especially ride comfort and noise. So replacing the tyres after doing some research to identify quiet and comfortable ones would be one way to go (something like Goodyear Efficient Performance2 or Michelin Primacy 4).

You can as well change to 17" wheels and as a bonus people will rip your existing ones from your hands at very high price, because they are kind of in demand... so you may end-up making money when downsizing. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Notamech said:

in principle should be 225/45R17 91W and about the air pressure, I thought the same but then again it's a relatively heavy car, maybe because of that. In any case I always prefer to have the pressures just a tad above.

22 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

You can as well change to 17" wheels and as a bonus people will rip your existing ones from your hands at very high price, because they are kind of in demand... so you may end-up making money when downsizing. 

That sounds quite good actually....back in the day I tried to sell my Civic's rims and nobody wanted them because they were the OEM 16", but I'm sure there is a lot of market for a set of Lexus OEM 18"

2 hours ago, Digifant said:

Unfortunatelly there's not available in my size of that tyres. I think I want to give a chance for Pirelli Powergy which are quite close those Michelin's performance.

You mean these? https://www.asdatyres.co.uk/pirelli/p6000-powergy/225-45-17-94-y-xl-p6000-powergy?id=8019227388114

They look pretty interesting! I didn't know but they seem to have a Cinturato range ones that are also quiet https://www.asdatyres.co.uk/pirelli/cinturato-p7-c2/225-45-17-91-y--cinturato-p7-c2?id=8019227322071

Might try them next time

27 minutes ago, Mr_Groundhog said:

You mean these? https://www.asdatyres.co.uk/pirelli/p6000-powergy/225-45-17-94-y-xl-p6000-powergy?id=8019227388114

They look pretty interesting! I didn't know but they seem to have a Cinturato range ones that are also quiet https://www.asdatyres.co.uk/pirelli/cinturato-p7-c2/225-45-17-91-y--cinturato-p7-c2?id=8019227322071

Might try them next time

No. These:

Powergy - Car tyre | Pirelli

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, mikejt said:

20230217_103659.jpg

20230217_103645.jpg

Also have them fitted on rear. Positive - good wear performance, very good rim protection. Negative - a bit noisy, extremely low grip(I have wheel spins on wet roads even in eco mode), Bridgestone's rubber cracking issue.

• Like 1

Almost forgotten to mention... whatever you get - make sure it is NOT run-flat, because all run-flats have just horrible ride quality. Better get spare wheel and have it in the boot, then have run-flats. 

3 hours ago, Mr_Groundhog said:

in principle should be 225/45R17 91W and about the air pressure, I thought the same but then again it's a relatively heavy car, maybe because of that. In any case I always prefer to have the pressures just a tad above.

That sounds quite good actually....back in the day I tried to sell my Civic's rims and nobody wanted them because they were the OEM 16", but I'm sure there is a lot of market for a set of Lexus OEM 18"

Aah ok 225/45s are for 17" wheels. That makes sense. Mine even though is an exec came with fsport wheels. I reckon one of the previous owners opted for it. They look awesome - the car looks much better with the f sport wheels. Il just get decent tyres to hopefully get a softer ride. Am considering Bridgestone turanza 6 they're new and supposed to be good for comfort. Currently have a michelin and a dunlop all season tyres on the front. I don't need all season tyres nor do i like having different brands on the same axle so looking to switch. 

33 minutes ago, Notamech said:

Aah ok 225/45s are for 17" wheels. That makes sense. Mine even though is an exec came with fsport wheels. I reckon one of the previous owners opted for it. They look awesome - the car looks much better with the f sport wheels. Il just get decent tyres to hopefully get a softer ride. Am considering Bridgestone turanza 6 they're new and supposed to be good for comfort. Currently have a michelin and a dunlop all season tyres on the front. I don't need all season tyres nor do i like having different brands on the same axle so looking to switch. 

That was not an option once can have, so must have been upgrade after purchase. ALL Bridgestone tyres are kind of mediocre or overpriced, and none as far as I know are considered good in terms of comfort, I guess closest to competitive tyre they have are new Bridgestone Sport - but they are UHP, so not the type you looking after. 

And don't get me wrong - Bridgestone is premium brand, they make tyres which are safe to use on the road (unlike most of the budget brands), but at any given price point competitors offers a better tyre for less money. 

46 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

That was not an option once can have, so must have been upgrade after purchase. ALL Bridgestone tyres are kind of mediocre or overpriced, and none as far as I know are considered good in terms of comfort, I guess closest to competitive tyre they have are new Bridgestone Sport - but they are UHP, so not the type you looking after. 

And don't get me wrong - Bridgestone is premium brand, they make tyres which are safe to use on the road (unlike most of the budget brands), but at any given price point competitors offers a better tyre for less money. 

Thanks for the input. Makes sense. I guess like you say they probably bought the wheels later rather than as an option from the dealership. I did see a few bad reviews on Bridgestone mostly rubber cracking. The other alternative i was considering was the Good Year Asymmetric 6. I have the Asymmetric 5 on the rear and theyre pretty good but not very comfortable.Are michelin primacy 4s more comfortable? 

I think what is important to understand is that there are different tyre types - Touring > UHP > UUHP. Generally speaking the grip and steering feedback will become better the higher you go, but comfort is opposite. So touring tyres will be most comfortable (Primacy 4), UUHP tyres (PS4S) will handle the best. Asymmetric 5/6 are UHP tyres, still great compromise between comfort and performance, but they will not be as comfortable as Primacy 4. As mentioned Goodyear has Efficient Performance 2 in Touring category, it handles better than Primacy 4, it is more comfortable than Asymmetric 6 and I guess they are cheaper than Primacy 4 as well. Primacy 4 is good tyre, just kind of expensive for my liking and handling is very dull, grip is not exceptional either, that is why I would go with Goodyear instead, but Michelin likely will have best thread life - all tyres are compromise one way or the other.

I personally would get Goodyear Asymmetric 6, but that is because I prefer more sporty handling. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Notamech said:

I don't see that they make Turanza 6 in rear size. Actually that is a trouble to find for IS 18's all 4 the same. 

2 hours ago, Linas.P said:

I think what is important to understand is that there are different tyre types - Touring > UHP > UUHP. Generally speaking the grip and steering feedback will become better the higher you go, but comfort is opposite. So touring tyres will be most comfortable (Primacy 4), UUHP tyres (PS4S) will handle the best. Asymmetric 5/6 are UHP tyres, still great compromise between comfort and performance, but they will not be as comfortable as Primacy 4. As mentioned Goodyear has Efficient Performance 2 in Touring category, it handles better than Primacy 4, it is more comfortable than Asymmetric 6 and I guess they are cheaper than Primacy 4 as well. Primacy 4 is good tyre, just kind of expensive for my liking and handling is very dull, grip is not exceptional either, that is why I would go with Goodyear instead, but Michelin likely will have best thread life - all tyres are compromise one way or the other.

I personally would get Goodyear Asymmetric 6, but that is because I prefer more sporty handling. 

Thanks so much for the info. Makes a lot of sense. I figured the same i.e asymmetric 6 offers a good balance of everything. 

👉 One thing on wheels and pressures: of course, what a pressure monitor (manometer) reads is the difference between the outside pressure and the air pressure inside the tyres. BUT the pressure in the air changes, depending on temperature, humidity, etc. 2.5 bar measures in two different countries does not mean both wheels have the same pressure. If the atmosphere changes, the measurement changes (little, but it does).

How is this relevant? The reference values on the driver's door shut (as recommended by manufacturer) are assuming a "standard" reference outside temperature (and tarmac temp) of 20 degrees celsius. Once we start rolling, the temperature of the air inside the wheel goes up (friction)... until reaching a stable temperature that's the one calculated by the manufacturer; but they're giving you (on the door shut plate) the starting pressure you should have at a given ref temperature (20 deg) to then reach the optimum one once you have been rolling for a while.

What happens if we're at 40 degrees, or at minus 10? Roughly speaking, for each +10 degrees of outside temperature, we will have +0.1 bar inside the wheel.

This is why they recommend the "cold" measure: i.e. measure before you start rolling (and again, this is a "standardisation" assuming the air and the road are at 20 degrees). Because if you've rolled a few km and the wheel's air is +20 degrees warmer, or the tarmac's temperature is 40 degrees, the manometer will show a +.02 bar extra.

So, to summarise: reccommended measurements assume 20 degrees... for each +10 degrees on the tarmac, you should lower the pressure 0.1 bar, and vice versa, to compensate the change. 🙂  In the winter, you would probably have to pump up to 2.6 or 2.7 bar in order to have your wheels at that reccommended value of 2.5    

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links