Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Another new tyre thread!

On 2/19/2023 at 7:09 AM, First_Lexus said:

Agree on the Avon tyres. I had them fitted on my last NX and they were excellent. Other family members had them fitted on a couple of other SUVs too and were similarly impressed.

My last set (2019/20) were stamped as manufactured in Serbia, but still with the Union Flag prominent on the sidewall! Their justification is that the research and development is still done at Melksham in Wiltshire, and I believe they still manufacture motorcycle tyres in the UK.

I’d certainly buy the brand again regardless, albeit UK manufacture was something of a bonus.

Avon AS7s it is for me then, not least because they're on 15% discount ATM with Halfords (£127.49ea), a saving of £21.50 a corner compared with my other favourite, Goodyears. But on your head be it 🙃 ! 

• Like 1

It always makes me smile when I see ASDA selling tyres, ASDA or to give it the full name of ASsociated DAiries I assume in the beginning sold dairy products I.e. milk, cream and cheese.

They’ve certainly come along way since then as have all the supermarkets.

”Supervisor required at till 3……customer requesting recommended tyre pressures for Firestone 245/45/18 tyres” 😀

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

It always makes me smile when I see ASDA selling tyres, ASDA or to give it the full name of ASsociated DAiries I assume in the beginning sold dairy products I.e. milk, cream and cheese.

They’ve certainly come along way since then as have all the supermarkets.

”Supervisor required at till 3……customer requesting recommended tyre pressures for Firestone 245/45/18 tyres” 😀

Totally off topic, but makes me smile that my late Mother used to make a list of groceries and give it to the local grocer who would then deliver it to the house at a convenient time for her…who said the convenience of home delivery was a recent thing?!

Move onto the 1970s and my late Father would go grocery shopping on a Saturday morning, including the (tiny by current standards) supermarket. That was a Waitrose, and it didn’t sell frozen food (that was further down the high street at Bejam) and also had a very limited selection of fresh meat and fresh vegetables. Those were purchased separately at one of three butchers and one of two greengrocers. 

They’d have been astonished by the variety on sale at supermarkets these days, let alone the fact that they had diversified into banking, tyres etc.

Life was simpler back then, and the pace seemed much slower. Proper high street stores, where people serving actually knew their regular customers. Different times…

Do not know how much the different groups of fuel economy mean as most tyres have a C, some a B mentioned when it comes to fuel efficiency. Do not remember having ever seen A as that.

Cannot find anywhere useful informing how much difference between these groups and if there are no in A group why it is there. Some claim that all season tyres are less economic and some places difference between A and G is less than 10%. If that is so then the rating is worth very little.

Braking efficiency in wet is well explained, noise a bit less and fuel economy not at all.

4 minutes ago, First_Lexus said:

Totally off topic, but makes me smile that my late Mother used to make a list of groceries and give it to the local grocer who would then deliver it to the house at a convenient time for her…who said the convenience of home delivery was a recent thing?!

Move onto the 1970s and my late Father would go grocery shopping on a Saturday morning, including the (tiny by current standards) supermarket. That was a Waitrose, and it didn’t sell frozen food (that was further down the high street at Bejam) and also had a very limited selection of fresh meat and fresh vegetables. Those were purchased separately at one of three butchers and one of two greengrocers. 

They’d have been astonished by the variety on sale at supermarkets these days, let alone the fact that they had diversified into banking, tyres etc.

Life was simpler back then, and the pace seemed much slower. Proper high street stores, where people serving actually knew their regular customers. Different times…

Here we can go to markets a bit up in the mountains and buy very fresh vegetables (dug op same night) and fruit. Not much cheaper than in market in town but so fresh, that when the vegetables have been in our refrigerator a week, they would still be at least as fresh as those we can buy in supermarkets.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for all the advice………even the slightly off topic comments!

I finally managed to get a set of the Michelin CrossClimate 2 Tyres last week through Blackcircles who currently have 10% off.  I got them fitted last week just before we got snow up north and I can’t believe how good they were in dealing with the conditions. As I live in the Highlands of Scotland where we quite often have temperatures below 7 degrees I’m so glad I opted for them as I think they’ll make a significant difference in some of my journeys.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links