Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

First Impressions

I picked up my 2019 MY RC300h on Monday this week and I’ve used it for the daily commute and a longer run over the Humber Bridge and across the Lincolnshire badlands. 
I was initially worried that it wouldn’t be as practical day-to-day as the Volvo V90 I swapped for it and that the idiosyncratic infotainment system would be hard and annoying to use. 
Turns out that one really shouldn’t pay too much attention to reviews… This is up there as one of the best cars I’ve ever owned. It’s a synthesis of many of the cars I’ve had before, all blended perfectly together into what I would consider the perfect GT car. 

From a practicality point of view, the back seats are actually usable (maybe just for short trips, admittedly), the folding seats allowed me to get a large garden storage unit home from Wickes and a quick test proves that I can easily get my guitar, amps and keyboard in for when I’m gigging. 
OK, there may well be better infotainment systems out there but the one in the RC is as good if not better than the one(s) in the various Jags I’ve owned and, apart from the voice control, way better than the awful Google Car thing in the Volvo. I also like being able to configure three screens - map on the main screen, audio on the smaller screen and map instructions on the screen in front of me. Brilliant. 
Ride quality is superb, easily as good as my 2015 XJ, and the handling is excellent; a great combination on the pot-holed cart tracks we call roads these days.

I daresay that there are faster cars to take round a track but, on real roads in real conditions, I think the RC can make progress as well as anything I’ve driven.

I daresay that little grumbles will appear over time but, so far, the RC is just a pleasure to drive. I think my search for that elusive blend of looks, handling, comfort and practicality is finally at an end!

• Like 6

Folding back seats are amazing, I don't understand why they are not fitted to all cars. It is really funny when RC which suppose to be impractical 2 door GT car turns out to be more practical than IS or GS. I could have never dreamt putting the bicycle in IS, yet it fits in RC.

Infotainment did improve in facelift cars, it is still mediocre at best and I think comparing it older jags isn't really an indication of it being any good. Things like having directions on your dash was not available before 2018 and they had tiny 8" screen. Anyhow - it is certainly usable system, especially if you have at least premier system with mouse pad (which was optional on pre-facelift). Certainly major improvement over the "nipple" controls on IS/GS. In short - I think reviews are correct, however you got latest and the best iteration of the system which tool Lexus only like 7 years to make usable.

• Like 1

Interesting. I’ve not been in a car with the earlier version of the system so this is the only thing I can comment on but, compared to a 65-plate XJ, a 1-plate E-pace and a 20-plate F-type, I find this every bit as good.

To be fair, that’s more a condemnation of the Jag system than a ringing endorsement of the Lexus! 😁

• Like 1

Fwiw you can have the directions in the main dash only pop up as you approach a turn/change, leaving that screen available for other important functions such a g- force 👍🏻👍🏻😉😉

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, tedd said:

Fwiw you can have the directions in the main dash only pop up as you approach a turn/change, leaving that screen available for other important functions such a g- force 👍🏻👍🏻😉😉

Ooh…..

53 minutes ago, Jgtcracer said:

Interestingly, the RCF rear seats don’t fold down….no idea why not!

My guess is that the RCF needs extra bracing across the rear axle because of the extra power….?

5 hours ago, Jgtcracer said:

Interestingly, the RCF rear seats don’t fold down….no idea why not!

Yeah that was always the case - just a ski hatch... really really limits what you can do with the car. And I would almost say that is deal breaker for me when I can only have one car. 

That said section in the rear is just bolted in, so I guess in theory could be retrofitted with folding seats:

20170608_184103_d18e8c57b53e2721d617ad913ea211fea32c06bc.jpg

And I guess if rigidity in the rear is a concern (which I doubt, considering that standard RC meant to be convertible and is more rigid than LF-A), then I guess some U-Shaped piece can be fitted to add the rigidity back.

• Like 1

But why would that prevent seats from folding? If I am not mistaken once RC headrests are all the way down they extend about the same as RC-F fixed ones and when folded RC headrests don't really touch the front seats anyway. 

3 hours ago, Linas.P said:

Yeah that was always the case - just a ski hatch... really really limits what you can do with the car. And I would almost say that is deal breaker for me when I can only have one car. 

That said section in the rear is just bolted in, so I guess in theory could be retrofitted with folding seats:

20170608_184103_d18e8c57b53e2721d617ad913ea211fea32c06bc.jpg

And I guess if rigidity in the rear is a concern (which I doubt, considering that standard RC meant to be convertible and is more rigid than LF-A), then I guess some U-Shaped piece can be fitted to add the rigidity back.

Looking at that picture the steelwork across the top must play a part.  Perhaps it is something to do with rigidity or the ML stereo system.  There’s certainly a reason, someone has made a conscious decision to remove folding seats if everything else has them.

2 minutes ago, Jgtcracer said:

Looking at that picture the steelwork across the top must play a part.  Perhaps it is something to do with rigidity or the ML stereo system.  There’s certainly a reason, someone has made a conscious decision to remove folding seats if everything else has them.

But RC has same ML system as RC-F, I had ML in my RC and it had folding seats, so it is not about audio system. it is quite obviously a brace to put more rigidity between towers... my opinion is that they test drove the car on Nürburgring as they do and decided that extra brace makes it better on the track. This is definitely true if you tracking it, but I honestly doubt it is necessary for daily driving it.

Besides as I said - more elegant solution of putting U-Shaped brace could be fitted to both have folding seats and add the rigidity back... looking at it seems like Lexus gone the cheapest possible way, just bit of stamped sheet metal and job done... but I think it could be done better and it could allow folding seats... and even then I doubt it is strictly needed if you don't track it. Clearly they sacrificed some practicality to make car better to handle on the track ... and that is why in US one would choose RC350 if they care about practicality... here we kind of have big gap between RC200t and RC-F...

9 hours ago, Linas.P said:

Nothing particularly rigid about the standard RC. The RC F has extra braces in multiple areas, including the rear seat back area.

image.thumb.png.16c8525259ef692f10a211cd6443ff5d.png 

11 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

Nothing particularly rigid about the standard RC. The RC F has extra braces in multiple areas, including the rear seat back area.

image.thumb.png.16c8525259ef692f10a211cd6443ff5d.png 

I didn't say there is something "particularly" rigid about standard RC... what I said is that Lexus claim that RC is more rigid than LF-A... and LF-A at it's time was very rigid car (the whole switch between aluminium and CF happened specifically to increase rigidity whilst keeping eight manageable). What makes RC rigid? mainly the central section from IS-C, because RC was made to be convertible i.e. it would remain completely fine even if roof is cut-off. 

Not sure - what you trying to say... yes there is clearly a brace behind the seats? That was kind of obvious from the pictures before. 

As I said my speculation is that track testing suggested increasing rigidity in some areas go give improved handling on the track, but at the same time I don't think they structurally necessary. 

• 7 months later...
1 hour ago, Mick Robinson said:

Hi I’m looking to buy a 2019 RCF but I’m get different rod tax rates some say £130 then £170 but caboose say over £500 has anyone got the true price please

See

https://www.parkers.co.uk/lexus/rc/f-2014/car-tax/

1 hour ago, Boomer54 said:

dvla basis for the above and note the footnote re 5 yrs

Vehicles with a list price of more than £40,000

You have to pay an extra £390 a year if you have a car or motorhome with a ‘list price’ (the published price before any discounts) of more than £40,000. You do not have to pay this if you have a zero emission vehicle.

You only have to pay this rate for 5 years (from the second time the vehicle is taxed).

Check the list price with your dealer so you know how much vehicle tax you’ll have to pay.

Fuel type Single 12 month payment Single 12 month payment by Direct Debit Total of 12 monthly payments by Direct Debit Single 6 month payment Single 6 month payment by Direct Debit
Petrol or diesel £570 £570 £598.50 £313.50 £299.25

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links