Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Appleplay & Reverse camera installation

Hi, Ive just joined and haven’t been able to easily find an answer to this so far although I expect it must have been covered before so please bear with me for repeating an old topic. 
I pick up my 2002 model next week and will be wanting to upgrade the old stereo unit so that I can stream Spotify/ apple Music from my Iphone 11 along with handsfree calls, and also require a reverse camera included in the new unit. Satnav is not that important but I expect it will be included with much of the new stuff these days. 

I’m based in East Grinstead (Sussex/ Surrey/ Kent border) and am not a techie so will also need a local installer. 

Obviously I can trawl around the usual ICE shops but would like some advice on what would be a reasonably priced unit to install so if anybody can recommend a suitable unit and/ or installer please? 🙏

Hi Anthony,

Ditto, I collect my 2003 SC430 tomorrow and wish to do exactly the same as you, I would be very interested to see the replies to your group message - as perhaps we could use the same installer - price depending!

• Like 1

On 3/1/2023 at 7:41 PM, Nexus7 said:

Hi, Ive just joined and haven’t been able to easily find an answer to this so far although I expect it must have been covered before so please bear with me for repeating an old topic. 
I pick up my 2002 model next week and will be wanting to upgrade the old stereo unit so that I can stream Spotify/ Apple Music from my iPhone 11 along with handsfree calls, and also require a reverse camera included in the new unit. Satnav is not that important but I expect it will be included with much of the new stuff these days. 

I’m based in East Grinstead (Sussex/ Surrey/ Kent border) and am not a techie so will also need a local installer. 

Obviously I can trawl around the usual ICE shops but would like some advice on what would be a reasonably priced unit to install so if anybody can recommend a suitable unit and/ or installer please? 🙏

Head unit upgrades or perhaps I should say changes, (including reverse cameras) have been covered many times so it is worth a look through the related threads and indeed the usual search engines to see the various options and routes possible. It does depend on what you want to achieve overall. Many of the usual hifi shops will still shy away from the complex amp and speaker set up in the SC430 but there are a few in the UK who now know enough to install some more modern tech using an interface or add-on unit.

As soon as streaming and bluetooth are mentioned, I immediately consider that a sound quality downgrade but to some it's a convenience upgrade. You might try Huets in Shoreham or Cartronics in West Byfleet for a decent 'shop' but others have self-installed various aftermarket 'plug and play' devices. A few brave souls have taken it a bit further. There are some decent instruction threads on here and the US sister site and videos on youtube and they are easy to find.   

Quick update on my decision. 

Since I would have to spend about a grand to replace the double din units, which is too much for my current budget, I did some lateral searches and concluded that the most cost effective solution for now at least is to use an FM Bluetooth transmitter to provide music and handsfree calls ( £10 on Amazon) and an AutoVox solar powered reverse camera unit (£139 also on Amazon). Whilst the screen for this will have to sit on either the dash or windscreen using the suction mount, it is something that I am prepared to live with. 
I appreciate it might not suit everyone but hope this helps anybody else with an alternative solution. 

I have now installed the Bluetooth unit and tested it with my Spotify and iTunes music and both incoming and outgoing calls which are in my opinion as good as I’d get from anything else. 

I’m awaiting delivery of the AutoVox unit but will update with photos once installed. Oh and I ought to add that since this requires two power sockets that I’ve had to order a suitably sized dual splitter to allow this ( because of the power socket in the SC being so recessed and space restricted. Again, photo to follow. 

On 3/3/2023 at 1:53 AM, Neil E said:

Head unit upgrades or perhaps I should say changes, (including reverse cameras) have been covered many times so it is worth a look through the related threads and indeed the usual search engines to see the various options and routes possible. It does depend on what you want to achieve overall. Many of the usual hifi shops will still shy away from the complex amp and speaker set up in the SC430 but there are a few in the UK who now know enough to install some more modern tech using an interface or add-on unit.

As soon as streaming and bluetooth are mentioned, I immediately consider that a sound quality downgrade but to some it's a convenience upgrade. You might try Huets in Shoreham or Cartronics in West Byfleet for a decent 'shop' but others have self-installed various aftermarket 'plug and play' devices. A few brave souls have taken it a bit further. There are some decent instruction threads on here and the US sister site and videos on youtube and they are easy to find.   

Thanks 👍, all good information although I’ve had to discount a head unit change on cost grounds but see my decision and solution below. 

I installed the SC430mods.com Bluetooth adaptor and for streaming music and phone calls from my Iphone 12 I find the sound quality excellent and I am used to listening to music on a high quality music setup. The only downside to the version I have is when listening to radio or tape the unit drops the volume but a new version is being introduced that corrects this issue. I also have the SC430mods.com rear camera fitted. Both of them are not massively difficult to fit with connections that just fit into existing connectors and interior trim removal for which there are videos showing the process. These mods are cost effective as apposed to the work involved in putting a double din system in. It’s all down to how much you want to spend and features required.

• Like 1

Thanks so much Glyn, exactly the sort of thing I wanted and would have preferred. Unfortunately I have already jumped the gun and bought an FM Bluetooth transmitter for music and calls, plus a solar powered reverse camera. 

They’re not as good as the two SC430Mods.com units ( although very simple to install) and having already purchased and fitted them I can’t get a refund obviously - but I am content with their functionality ( for now at least but I will sell them and buy the others sooner or later 🙄🤔). Interestingly, the solar camera is only slightly cheaper than the sc439mods.com one as well, and of course it’s dash/windscreen mounted and doesn’t provide the moving guides on the screen when reversing, so not as good in that respect. Also the FM transmitter pokes out of the ashtray especially as I had to add a splitter for both units, so not as discrete either. 

However, I am waitlisted for their Bluetooth option as it’s currently out of stock and pending an upgrade due to an issue with it, so I’ll be changing that soon. My FM transmitter was only £10 so I can give that to my sister or someone else who could use it in another older car. 

21 hours ago, Glyn Jennings said:

I installed the SC430mods.com Bluetooth adaptor and for streaming music and phone calls from my iphone 12 I find the sound quality excellent and I am used to listening to music on a high quality music setup. The only downside to the version I have is when listening to radio or tape the unit drops the volume but a new version is being introduced that corrects this issue. I also have the SC430mods.com rear camera fitted. Both of them are not massively difficult to fit with connections that just fit into existing connectors and interior trim removal for which there are videos showing the process. These mods are cost effective as apposed to the work involved in putting a double din system in. It’s all down to how much you want to spend and features required.

On your last point Glyn, installing a double din replacement unit isn't so difficult these days as a 'plug and play' European spec. model interface is available but it is a very costly option compared to Calvin's solutions or even one of the other plug-in boxes such as Grom. It's all about finding the right satisfactory solution for the individual's needs.

If the sound quality using Bluetooth via the SC430mods.com adaptor is very good then that's impressive for the cost and a credit to Calvin as when I do an 'A' - 'B' comparison of sources via the Alpine HU, CD/DVD is still best, USB is good and Bluetooth is simply dreadful. 🤣

• Like 1

As promised here are pics of the interior showing the reverse camera located on the far left of the passengers side (UK) in order to ensure it does not fall foul of laws such as being accused of obscuring the drivers field of vision - with wiring tucked away in the edges around screen/glovebox/side of centre console (which i obviously can't show 😆), and the final part was routed through the bottom of the ashtray which I had to drill a hole for - so good job I'm a non-smoker like most these days 😇. I took the opportunity to disconnect the notorious tyre pressure warning plug-ins which kept coming on intermittently - so bonus job completed at the same time👍.

Also shown are the two power socket plug-in units for the FM Bluetooth transmitter and the camera of course which is operated using the button on the socket for variable times up to 90 secs and simply repress if you need more time.

Pretty it ain't I'll admit, but it is totally functional and for a non-techie like me, dead easy to install. I would disagree with comments that the Bluetooth transmitters are not as good as CD quality, etc., even at high volume, so maybe others have had poor quality FM transmitters? Or maybe things have improved over time? Anyway, more than satisfied with it being able to FF or RW tracks by a brief twist of the knob, plus it automatically mutes music for calls, and theres also a Battery condition read out each time to switch it on (although as a side issue, I have just bought a new Battery from Lexus after the Bosch one I bought from Euro Car Parts was slightly too tall and prevented the bonnet closing and they had nothing else with the correct size).

I have also shown the Scosche magnetic Iphone holder which is excellent and totally secure as the magnet is fantastically strong so holds it no problem and can be screen or dash mounted as I have done. I use it for multple purposes including dashcam with Navmii app, and can see music and calls when they appear without contravening any of the new laws.

0E25B1E3-4566-40DD-9706-1EEEF42BF62B.jpeg

BFA8247F-5297-4BA9-A8F4-C6DB0C5F6387.jpeg

14B957E5-D3DC-4EB0-8D29-95C0EF0D45DD.jpeg

3A5E87C9-4EA0-4A2D-BD69-BEB47F388AF6.heic

1 hour ago, Neil E said:

On your last point Glyn, installing a double din replacement unit isn't so difficult these days as a 'plug and play' European spec. model interface is available but it is a very costly option compared to Calvin's solutions or even one of the other plug-in boxes such as Grom. It's all about finding the right satisfactory solution for the individual's needs.

If the sound quality using Bluetooth via the SC430mods.com adaptor is very good then that's impressive for the cost and a credit to Calvin as when I do an 'A' - 'B' comparison of sources via the Alpine HU, CD/DVD is still best, USB is good and Bluetooth is simply dreadful. 🤣

I must confess I am not one to compare different sound sources but I do like a quality sound in always having had at interest in HiFi since a young age and done a fair bit of mixing for live bands. Perhaps it is my age and ears now that I don’t find Bluetooth an issue apart from the occasional crackle or interference which only lasts for a couple of seconds. At home I also use it to stream to a Cambridge Audio streaming unit to Kef Speakers. I have found using FM and cassette adapters have given me poor quality sound in the past. I also find the Mark Levinson audio in the SC to be very good whereas in the RX it is very poor with little or no soundstage. Not wishing to make this in to a HiFi thread or endorse a product but the best experience of listening to music I have is via in-ear Bose quiet comfort in-ear headphones again via Bluetooth. They have the effect of putting the music right inside your head and your hear bits you don’t hear normally through traditional speakers. The Bose ones are also so comfortable to wear as the don’t actually go into your ear canal like the Shure one’s I had that made my ears sore.  
You also get a better sound from a Iphone if you don’t max the volume and instead increase the volume on the device it is going to.  Having said we all different and have different expectations which is probably a Godsend.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Nexus7 said:

As promised here are pics of the interior showing the reverse camera located on the far left of the passengers side (UK) in order to ensure it does not fall foul of laws such as being accused of obscuring the drivers field of vision - with wiring tucked away in the edges around screen/glovebox/side of centre console (which i obviously can't show 😆), and the final part was routed through the bottom of the ashtray which I had to drill a hole for - so good job I'm a non-smoker like most these days 😇. I took the opportunity to disconnect the notorious tyre pressure warning plug-ins which kept coming on intermittently - so bonus job completed at the same time👍.

Also shown are the two power socket plug-in units for the FM bluetooth transmitter and the camera of course which is operated using the button on the socket for variable times up to 90 secs and simply repress if you need more time.

Pretty it ain't I'll admit, but it is totally functional and for a non-techie like me, dead easy to install. I would disagree with comments that the bluetooth transmitters are not as good as CD quality, etc., even at high volume, so maybe others have had poor quality FM transmitters? Or maybe things have improved over time? Anyway, more than satisfied with it being able to FF or RW tracks by a brief twist of the knob, plus it automatically mutes music for calls, and theres also a battery condition read out each time to switch it on (although as a side issue, I have just bought a new battery from Lexus after the Bosch one I bought from Euro Car Parts was slightly too tall and prevented the bonnet closing and they had nothing else with the correct size).

I have also shown the Scosche magnetic iPhone holder which is excellent and totally secure as the magnet is fantastically strong so holds it no problem and can be screen or dash mounted as I have done. I use it for multple purposes including dashcam with Navmii app, and can see music and calls when they appear without contravening any of the new laws.

0E25B1E3-4566-40DD-9706-1EEEF42BF62B.jpeg

BFA8247F-5297-4BA9-A8F4-C6DB0C5F6387.jpeg

14B957E5-D3DC-4EB0-8D29-95C0EF0D45DD.jpeg

3A5E87C9-4EA0-4A2D-BD69-BEB47F388AF6.heic 1.69 MB · 0 downloads

I’m on my 3rd type of phone holder for the SC and still have found one that I really like. The first one I already had that worked well in my BMW as it slotted in the CD slot. However the CD slot on the SC has a flap that seals it off and only opens when putting a CD in or out. The second one pushes on the air vent but obscures the sat nav when in the horizontal position. The latest one hooks and tightens to the vent slats but is a poor fit, doesn’t tighten well and because it is bigger and I have an Iphone 12 pro max it is wobbling all the time. I wasn’t as keen on sticking one in the dash especially as it is quite a big phone as Nexus7 has done but I realise now that it may be the best option. What do others use?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Glyn Jennings said:

I’m on my 3rd type of phone holder for the SC and still have found one that I really like. The first one I already had that worked well in my BMW as it slotted in the CD slot. However the CD slot on the SC has a flap that seals it off and only opens when putting a CD in or out. The second one pushes on the air vent but obscures the sat nav when in the horizontal position. The latest one hooks and tightens to the vent slats but is a poor fit, doesn’t tighten well and because it is bigger and I have an iphone 12 pro max it is wobbling all the time. I wasn’t as keen on sticking one in the dash especially as it is quite a big phone as Nexus7 has done but I realise now that it may be the best option. What do others use?

Hi Glyn, yes let's avoid the hifi SQ debate, I liked everything you said though. 👍My ears are nearly 60 years old so well past their sell by date.

I am interested in interfacing the Iphone with the GS to provide a bit more flexible connectivity, I could drop in the Tesla style screen but the Lexus police wouldn't allow that so I'm thinking Grom is the neatest to avoid the holders and bracketry.

In the SC I plug the Iphone and or the ipad into the Alpine via a USB cable. The flexibility of the modern head unit lets you do just about everything. On my travels, I see many drivers using a screen or dash mount to get their phone screen right next to the driver's 'A' pillar. I haven't tried it but I think the Quad Lock looks a decent option to do that.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Glyn Jennings said:

CD slot on the SC has a flap that seals it off and only opens when putting a CD in or out.

So does the RX but the CD mount still works. That flap is just 'free standing' for want of a better word and it will open if you just push the mount in as if you were pushing a CD in.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links