Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Poor DAB signal

I have a 2018 NX300h that I am extremely happy with apart from a poor radio reception when using DAB. I live in Devon that may not be ideal for signal strength but I find I am losing the signal regularly driving up and around Surrey. When I drive other Lexus cars I don’t get any drop outs in the same area. I have spoken with the local garage but they are unable to find out why.

I didn’t notice it when I had the from new but has steadily got worse. I recently had a camera installed in the car that may have impact but it wasn’t noticed at the time.

has anyone had similar issues?

I remember reading a few mentions somewhere that dashcams could interfere with dab signals.This was more prevalent when wiring and positioning of the rear camera were close to the dab antenna.For that reason I ran the cable under the door cill and mounted the rear camera below the aerial elements in the rear window.

Whether it was by accident or design,I have had no problems.

My Lexus Dealer refused to fit a rear dashcam due to the number of people who had complained that it interfered with the DAB. I asked them to do it and said that I would be happy to lose DAB reception as I don’t listen to the radio often. Of course, I was happy to put this in writing so there was no danger of me ever logging a DAB reception complaint.

If I sell the car I will pass that info on - a new owner may want to ditch the camera to get perfect DAB.

6 minutes ago, hintonwood said:

My Lexus Dealer refused to fit a rear Dashcam due to the number of people who had complained that it interfered with the DAB

That's overly dramatic for a dealer. All they have to do is to run the camera cable on the opposite side to the DAB feed so that there's a decent separation distance.

• Like 1

My dealer was originally against fitting rear cams and took exactly the same stance as @hintonwood reported.  In a recent discussion with the dealer I was told that Lexus has recently issued guidance on this and they were now confident to fit front and REAR with no impact to DAB performance. They then asked me if I wanted to upgrade my dash cam optional extra to both front and rear.  Perhaps best to check with another Lexus centre for their take on this.

5 hours ago, Herbie said:

That's overly dramatic for a dealer. All they have to do is to run the camera cable on the opposite side to the DAB feed so that there's a decent separation distance.

Maybe they did in the end. I haven’t tested my DAB.

3 hours ago, Hillie said:

My dealer was originally against fitting rear cams and took exactly the same stance as @hintonwood reported.  In a recent discussion with the dealer I was told that Lexus has recently issued guidance on this and they were now confident to fit front and REAR with no impact to DAB performance. They then asked me if I wanted to upgrade my dash cam optional extra to both front and rear.  Perhaps best to check with another Lexus centre for their take on this.

Mine were fitted in January 2022 so I would not be surprised if Lexus found a fix for it. Pity they can’t fix all the other niggling issues!🤪

• Like 1

Hello, I Have to agree, the DAB radio is pretty poor. My dealer moved the (front only) dashcam more over to the passenger side. It improved reception considerably but it still drops out as No Signal several times a day. There are a few areas where it always happens and then some where sometimes it drops and other times it doesn't. The dealer said that the camera wiring interferes with the dab aerial, but it was no better when they removed it all, so resiting the camera was the best option for me and living with it. Before they moved camera, you couldn't listen to dab at all.  I've had DAB for several years in previous cars and have not had the same poor, poor quality as this one. 

Hello

I hope my story may help.

I originally bought a Thinkware F800 Pro dashcam for my CT 200 and had it installed professionally through a company recommended by the RAC. I have had no problems with reception even though it is an early car(2013 F Sport).

I purchased the same dashcam for my 2016 NX F Sport and had it professionally fitted and had continuous signal drop. 

I contacted the installers who came back and installed the ferrite cores still to no avail.

The installer was very efficient and investigated the problem and decided it was the plug in lead interfering with the Dab aerial.

Eventually the company asked me to try another dashcam that didn't have a plug-in wire into the camera but rather one that had it's own prewired "screened" loom.  

They exchanged the unit for a Thinkware F790 and the problem was resolved.

I hope that's an understandable explanation and hope it helps you.

May be worth looking on the RAC website but sadly this wont help your current dilemma having already bought a dashcam!

I have to say that I do like the Thinkware dashcams, as they have the benefit of many features including verbal warning of speed cameras, their distance away, and the legal speed limit.

Regards

Ray

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links