Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Car wont start, battery ?

Had to jump in the misses car this morn for work, the is250 wont start.

I pressed the button and it turned over (somewhat weak), spluttered a bit and continued this process until i thought best just hit the button again.

Give it three attempts.

Im assuming Battery ?, 

If so, what's the average price for one?

Ps, always thought modern cars would not let you try start the car if they sensed low Battery, my Ford wouldn't anyways.

Cheers

Sean

I did not notice anything out of the ordinary with lights, but was early and i was still half a sleep.

Is there anything i should be aware of in advance with regards swapping the Battery?, im assuming its pretty straight forward for these motors

Regarding swapping the Battery. You'll have to reprogram the windows. Operate each window individually using its own button. Keep the button continuously for both down and up operation. Once all 4 have been done then all 4 can be operated by the master switch and one touch operation will be restored. The sunroof may need doing to but I've never used mine. The clock will need resetting and possibly the radio. Make sure you have the code for the radio. If not then have a 'donkey' 12v Battery and connect it in parallel on the connectors not on the Battery. Hope that makes sense. 

• Thanks 1

It may be flooded from your earlier attempts to start.

Have a quick read of this:

This morning my IS250 wouldn't start. The engine turned over but it wouldn't catch. This is the first time the car didn't start on the first attempt. I was fairly sure it wasn't a failing Battery because the engine turned over quite strongly and the lights were working well and didn't dim.

After trying this a few times over the space of about 15 mins, I gave up, emailed my apologies for the 9am meeting I knew I wouldn't make and called the AA. The big yellow van arrived within about 40 mins.

No sooner was Mr AA out of the van and he asked me if I had moved the car. I said "No", thinking he was asking if I had tried to roll it. He clarified, looking at my narrow-ish driveway and asked "Did you start it up to move it out of the way of someone else". I remembered then that I had moved it briefly the previous afternoon and not used it since. The engine was probably running for all of 15 seconds. He proudly proclaimed "That's it! It's flooded!"

Now, I didn't think cars flooded since the good old days of my mother, an old Fiat and a choke. (The three of them just didn't seem to work well together!)

Apparently, I'm now well-informed, that an engine can flood if it is left running for less than a few minutes. It was a morning of revelations for me.

Anyway, as Mr AA is explaining to me how to remedy the problem, I'm breathing a sigh of relief and hoping he's right, because I had visions of the car sitting on the back of a flatbed truck, on its way to Mr Lexus, with my credit card taped to the bonnet!

The trick to starting the flooded engine, I readily observed, is to depress the accelerator. This tells the car to stop pumping fuel to the cylinders. Smart, but too-smart for me. I'd never have guessed at that bit of counter-intuitive logic. But, it worked. After three cycles of cranking the engine with the accelerator depressed, presumably burning off the excess petrol in the engine, the car started with the accelerator released.

Has anybody else encountered this problem?

I've read elsewhere that this starting procedure this can damage the cat in some cars - is that possible? Should Mr AA (to whom I was very grateful at the time) have done this? If it's okay, why don't Lexus describe the procedure in the manual?

• Thanks 1

I moved it off the drive saturday as i was sweeping the drive, only ran it for a few seconds.

Maybe thats it.

Mines an auto though, i dont touch the accelerator when starting it.

Actually, maybe i did give it some gas, 

Not sure what do now, just leave it a while and try again maybe

I was told it is impossible to "flood" DI cars. If it had some petrol in the pistons preventing it from firing straight away, then simply continuing to crank would clear it out. So basically you just need to continue cranking until it starts. Pressing accelerator trick would work, because that presumably opens Throttle to let more air in and it shouldn't "flood" the engine any further because accelerator pedal does not actually controls how much fuel get's injected, just advises ECU that you want it to increase RPM.

Stupid suggestions comes into mind - does it actually have fuel? Could it be misfiled (very unlikely for petrol).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

With your foot fully on the Gas pedal continue to crank it may just fire up as soon as it does let go of the pedal. Had this with a Yaris many moons ago took a while but it did start.

Is it low on fuel?

Also after start do all warning lights turn off if red Battery symbol remains on its a dying or dead alternator if the serpentine belt is still on. 

• Like 2

Would still start even without the belt, especially considering the Battery is new. But definitely good thing to check before it needs another Battery.

Other suggestion just came to mind - do you hear fuel pump priming. Try pressing the start button without pressing the brake, so press one - steering wheel comes out (acc on), press two dash lights-up and you should hear the buzzing sound from rear seat area (ig on). Fuel pumps do fail on these cars so that could be plausible explanation (well... on all cars with age really, but in Lexus is just cost more money to fix). 

• Thanks 1

Tried another fob and new Battery in it, no start.

It has half a tank of petrol, I've not added diesel by mistake.

I will try again on the accelerator and see what the warning lights do.

Thanks all 

18 minutes ago, IS300FSPORT said:

With your foot fully on the Gas pedal continue to crank it may just fire up as soon as it does let go of the pedal. Had this with a Yaris many moons ago took a while but it did start.

Is it low on fuel?

Also after start do all warning lights turn off if red battery symbol remains on its a dying or dead alternator if the serpentine belt is still on. 

Great tactic, its started lol

Scared of turning it off now

• Like 1

Well, that was a very odd motoring experience.

Took it for a drive, turned off, then started fine.

At least i know where i stand with the Battery now, having a new one.

There might be something in that running them for a few seconds lark, as it was fine before that, il add

PS THANKS ALL, appreciate you taking the time.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links