Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

11 minutes ago, Mobeam said:

This is my small way of deterrent..... parking as close as I can get to the wall in the hope that there is no room to work. !! along with steering lock and camera 

20231223_153849.jpg

Good idea, I wonder if this is just a London centric issue, or national.

5 hours ago, Mobeam said:

This is my small way of deterrent..... parking as close as I can get to the wall in the hope that there is no room to work. !! along with steering lock and camera 

20231223_153849.jpg

Don't think it'd matter how close you park to the wall with the new NX.

It's got encrypted canbus anyway so they won't use the canbus method

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/31/2023 at 11:47 AM, Mattsneaker said:

Sorry to hear this - i have a steering wheel lock (Stoplock) on mine to hopefully deter opportunist thieves but real professionals will have a way around anything

Your Comment is Spot On..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just had my 19 plate Nx stolen off drive at 5 in the morning..Disclock  fitted ,both keys stored in a Faraday box,they gained entry via the front wheelarch......took 3 minutes...I am a big fan of the brand....but this will be my last,the security on their products is rubbish.

• Like 1
  • Sad 6

On 1/13/2024 at 1:21 PM, thom thomas said:

Just had my 19 plate Nx stolen off drive at 5 in the morning..Disclock  fitted ,both keys stored in a faraday box,they gained entry via the front wheelarch......took 3 minutes...I am a big fan of the brand....but this will be my last,the security on their products is rubbish.

Disk lock fitted. Keys shielded in a Faraday cage. Just as Lexus advise when a worried owner asks them what Lexus are doing about this.

Gone in 3 minutes - I assume you have a video of this from security/doorbell cams.

Over to you Lexus.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, eightk said:

Disk lock fitted. Keys shielded in a faraday cage. Just as Lexus advise when a worried owner asks them what Lexus are doing about this.

Gone in 3 minutes - I assume you have a video of this from security/doorbell cams.

Over to you Lexus.

Yes i have ring camera footage of three white chav types doing it...one stood by the house door....ironically i was up at the time and thought the noise was somebody moving a wheelie bin around...!!

• Sad 3

3 hours ago, thom thomas said:

Yes i have ring camera footage of three white chav types doing it...one stood by the house door....ironically i was up at the time and thought the noise was somebody moving a wheelie bin around...!!

B stards. Did they use an angle grinder on the disc lock? That’ll be what took the extra two minutes.

21 hours ago, eightk said:

B stards. Did they use an angle grinder on the disc lock? That’ll be what took the extra two minutes.

no i did not hear an angle grinder, a couple of bangs and it was gone...

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, thom thomas said:

no i did not hear an angle grinder, a couple of bangs and it was gone...

Thanks for confirming steering locks - the disk lock is supposedly award winning and one of the hardest to crack - are a waste of time. 
Anybody who hasn’t yelled at Lexus yet… what ya waiting for?

• Like 1

Over on the RAV4 forum an owner of a 2024 PHEV vehicle emailed Toyota CS asking for the protection plates to be installed before he took delivery. Their response was that his vehicle does not need them because his PHEV has a different electrical architecture to the HEV and is not susceptible to the current spate of such attacks.

As far as the NX 450h is concerned it should be the same situation, what we don't know, is from what manufacturing date this would apply. 

Edited by Hayzee
  • Like 2

Interesting...

Premium-theft epidemic

It should be said that the issue of premium vehicle theft is far from confined to just Land Rover and Range Rover, with Lexus, Mercedes, BMW and Audi models also suffering. Insurer AXA UK says in the period between 2021 and 2023 it has seen Lexus thefts increase by 22 per cent with RX and NX models the most targeted. Land Rover thefts have increased by 80 per cent in the same period with Range Rovers making up 75 per cent of those thefts.

14 minutes ago, Hayzee said:

Over on the RAV4 forum an owner of a 2024 vehicle emailed Toyota CS asking for the protection plates to be installed before he took delivery. Their response was that his vehicle does not need them because it has an encrypted CAN and is not susceptible to the current spate of such attacks.

As far as the NX is concerned it should be the same situation, what we don't know, is from what manufacturing date this would apply. 

I "think" that the current NX is OK. I believe this is why we are having to wait for a second key.

8 minutes ago, Scotlex said:

I "think" that the current NX is OK. I believe this is why we are having to wait for a second key.

I have just edited my response as Toyota specifically stated that it is only the PHEV that is currently not susceptible. Toyota won't make any definitive statement regarding which cars (manufacturing date) are in which category, but I do know that earlier (2020/2022) RAV4 PHEV's have had the plates fitted.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

From what I can ascertain, the New Gen NX has what's called the Toyota (ECU) Security Key (TSK) implemented. TSK apparently protects against the CAN BUS attacks which have been the subject of numerous thefts of Toyota and Lexus vehicles.

In other words the would-be thieves Can Bus device can't communicate with the vehicle's ECU without the relevant TSK so they can't (currently) gain access to the vehicle.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Hayzee said:

From what I can ascertain, the New Gen NX has what's called the Toyota (ECU) Security Key (TSK) implemented. TSK apparently protects against the CAN BUS attacks which have been the subject of numerous thefts of Toyota and Lexus vehicles.

In other words the would-be thieves Can Bus device can't communicate with the vehicle's ECU without the relevant TSK so they can't (currently) gain access to the vehicle.

Is this TSK software / hardware or both I wonder. Just wondering if it’s within the realms of possibility to retro fit. The fact they went with a plate suggests maybe not, unless that was purely the quickest and cheapest fix…

• Like 1

Hi All,

This canbus issue has gone beyond crazy all over the LOC. We're all aware of it now, but too late after spending, £30-£50K+ on a car.

The people that are not aware of it are prospective Lexus owners, still believing the flash tv adverts and past ownership survey results. Keeping it under wraps means no reputational or financial damage to the brand. - of course Toyota/ Lexus are ignoring us. They don't need to do anything yet.

Even die hard Lexus fans must be finding it hard supporting the brand after such a disgraceful attitude to owners.

The only reason Toyota/ Lexus will fix this is if sales drop and the brand reputation plummets. We all seem to be divided on different forums and threads.

Divide, isolate, exterminate and ignore. That's Lexus's canbus response so far.

Please go to general forum, canbus theft scandal and make a comment. Push for LOC owners to make canbus a permanent  front page issue until Toyota / Lexus acts in our favour. If they do then I'll be the first to shout about how good Toyota / Lexus customer service and ownership is.

Also write to the Chairman and MD, details are on the thread. It only takes half an hour and if enough complain we may get security plates for all model owners. They know about Canbus, but are so far up an ivory tower they probably think it'll blow over and business as usual.

Know or see in the street anyone with a Lexus. They may not look at LOC or be aware of canbus until their car gets stolen or insurance renewal rockets. Tell them about it. Tell them to write to Toyata GB / Lexus board.

Talking to or contacting Lexus Customer Relations is a complete waste of our time.

Make the noise. Its the only way we'll get this canbus debacle dealt with.

Thanks

• Like 3

What he said. Speak to owners, complain to your dealers and use social media to question Lexus about their proposed solution (if any).

RX gets canbus plates, everybody else gets nothing other than advice to spend hundreds on immobilisers (which do work) or use a steering lock (which don’t work).

Jaguar Land Rover have so far recalled 65,000 cars to update software and prevent this sort of theft. Lexus : it’s your turn, while we can still get insurance.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jim1977 said:

Is this TSK software / hardware or both I wonder. Just wondering if it’s within the realms of possibility to retro fit. The fact they went with a plate suggests maybe not, unless that was purely the quickest and cheapest fix…

The plate for the RX had already been rolled out in South Africa to prevent car jacking.  It seems like it was the easiest thing just to get some more made and installed over here.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jim1977 said:

It's software per se but due to the fact that Lexus hasn't rolled out a s/w update to affected vehicles suggests it's a system architectural issue that can't be retrofitted to other vehicles. Hence the wheel arch plates.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, malcolmw said:

Does the TSK mean that devices such as Carista will not work? Do you have to go to a dealer to update anything?

Looking on the Carista website it works for Gen 1 and 2 NX, there are just fewer adjustments available for the latter. Carista would have always been aware of the TSK change to Gen 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links