Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

2023v1 Map Update

DavidCM

Not sure,Vlad.

I lost interest in it as my initial 3 year mapcare has just expired..3 weeks before the update appeared.I have emailed Lexus as they (quite generously)extended Roadside Assistance by 3 months because of the COVID lockdown 3 years ago when the car was sold new. I've asked them if they should include map updates for the 3 month extension,but don't hold out much hope.

The £119 they charge for updates buys an awful lot of extra data for my phone so I'll use Google or Waze and have constantly updated maps and live traffic.

48 minutes ago, Mr Vlad said:

For what models David?

I guess it covers the 2020 models onwards and possibly earlier... it is the download onto usb stick tha takes forever to download and just as long to upload into the car.

How's your back? Back at work?-pun intended.

Hi David. My back is back to normal but I've lost the energy I had

Been back in work 4 weeks now on lighter duties. 00.30 starts to unload 2 trailers and load 2 class 2 trucks and 3 7.5t trucks so basically hard physical work not light duties lol. 

I've learnt that Google owns Waze. Saw a review about the two and both work well but Google maps overall is better. Same car on the same long route using both maps by the way. 

Personally I use tomtom if I need route guideness after I've checked Google for road situations. 

Yes I read that too.Seems strange to run 2 very similar setups in parallel..but what do I know.Google seem to know what they're doing.I do prefer Google to Waze as the maps are less busy/cluttered.I just find the large "search" box at the top of the screen annoying ..I must see if I can get rid of it.

Back to the rest of the Joan Armatrading concert now..

I use both Google maps and Waze, and switch between the two (I like to have a backup). The main problem I found with Waze is that for some reason it's quick to drain the Battery.

Anyway, the other mild annoyance was having to add favourites/destinations to both, which I've now solved by using what3words.  I now use that to store all my destinations and it then asks you which map app you want to use when you set off.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DBIZO said:

Does anyone know what's the map's date? 2022 Q1, or is it later? There is no detail on the My Lexus portal.

I believe the map data is 6 months behind the release, do the actual map data should be 2022 Q3 in this case.

Cheers,

Paul

26 minutes ago, PDM said:

I believe the map data is 6 months behind the release, do the actual map data should be 2022 Q3 in this case.

Cheers,

Paul

Thanks, Paul, good tip. That's what I remembered, sounds about right.

Just to let people know I loaded these on the car at the weekend (via usb stick) and all works fine, including speed camera notifications.

Paul

• Thanks 1

For those whose 3 year mapcare/updates have expired,there will be a Promotion on the Lexus website from 1/5/23 to 30/6/23.This will be for a 3 year mapcare and services bundle at a reduced cost.I have no further details of what is included or the cost.

• 1 month later...

Somewhat weirdly this seems to be listed as "Toyota Touch 2 with Go" on the Lexus eStore.

It does seem to have given me map updates for three years (according to the purchase history page) along with google street view, inrix traffic, parking, fuel etc so for 119 GBP seems to be a reasonable bargain. I tend to use the RX builtin sat nav as google maps / waze won't drive the HUD (although it will do the mini screen behind the wheel) so maybe this is better value for me than others.

I'll find out more next time I do a roadtrip and give the car some phone wifi hotspot action.

On 3/31/2023 at 10:39 PM, DavidCM said:

The £119 they charge for updates buys an awful lot of extra data for my phone so I'll use Google or Waze and have constantly updated maps and live traffic.

Stone me, how much...?! That will teach me to read a thread properly before going through all the palaver of finding the update. Sorry Betsy, we're staying on Waze....

47 minutes ago, PeterI said:

Somewhat weirdly this seems to be listed as "Toyota Touch 2 with Go" on the Lexus eStore.

...which I've taken to mean it wouldn't work on my MM19 system as it says it is for "Toyota CY17".

If it does update the Lexus system,then it is obviously a much better buy,equating to 1/6 the cost of the usual £119 for a 6 monthly update.

Have you actually succeeded in uploading it to your system Peter?

1 hour ago, DavidCM said:

...which I've taken to mean it wouldn't work on my MM19 system as it says it is for "Toyota CY17".

If it does update the Lexus system,then it is obviously a much better buy,equating to 1/6 the cost of the usual £119 for a 6 monthly update.

Have you actually succeeded in uploading it to your system Peter?

I believe that MM17 and MM19 (or CY17 and CY19) use the same map data format. I think MM19 is very similar to MM17 but with android auto and apple car play added.

The car is already on the current map (2023 v1) as I had done the update over wifi earlier on this year, what I had been getting was a warning that my subscription was expiring (3 years after the initial purchase) when the car was connected over wifi, I haven't connected the car to wifi while I've been in the vehicle since purchasing the pack so I don't know if that warning will have gone.

It does show as "Mapcare RX - (6/23/2023 - 6/23/2026)" so my guess is it was the right thing to purchase. In the expired section INRIXTRAFFIC17MM shows the same text apart from the dates (2020-2023 vs 2023-2026) as the active section, so I'm moderately confident it was the right thing to purchase, worst case is I have to ask for a refund from Lexus.

Sounds like it should be ok Peter.

I'm undecided whether or not to go for it.Running Waze or Google maps doesn't seem to use that much data,so I'll probably leave the navigation on that.The £119 for 3 years seems a reasonable deal though.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links