Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My Recently Px'd GS430 now on Autotrader.

My much loved GS430 which I owned for the past eight years and part exchanged two weeks ago has popped up on Autotrader for one hell of a lot more than I got for it😭......... that's car dealers for you I guess!

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202304066022329?sort=price-asc&include-delivery-option=on&advertising-location=at_cars&model=GS 430&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=Used&postcode=bs351ug&radius=1500&make=Lexus&page=1

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, BarneyTT said:

My much loved GS430 which I owned for the past eight years and part exchanged two weeks ago has popped up on Autotrader for one hell of a lot more than I got for it😭......... that's car dealers for you I guess!

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202304066022329?sort=price-asc&include-delivery-option=on&advertising-location=at_cars&model=GS 430&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=Used&postcode=bs351ug&radius=1500&make=Lexus&page=1

What is the RFL for the GS430? The seller is quoting £395 which I suspect is the 6 month figure? My GS300 is £615 p.a. for the renewal just received.

1 hour ago, JeffL said:

What is the RFL for the GS430? The seller is quoting £395 which I suspect is the 6 month figure? My GS300 is £615 p.a. for the renewal just received.

12 months but registered January 2006 so just squeezes in to the pre-March cheaper bracket. That said all bands have gone up in the last week.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, PRT68 said:

Also noted it's marked as a private seller. Is it, or are they being a little naughty?

They make it sound like they're a private seller. First question should be "So, how long have you had it?" :biggrin:

• Like 2

18 hours ago, PRT68 said:

Also noted it's marked as a private seller. Is it, or are they being a little naughty?

That's what I thought, it was only px'd a fortnight ago so as you say "a little naughty",  I'm sure it was more than two owners as well!

17 hours ago, rich1068 said:

12 months but registered January 2006 so just squeezes in to the pre-March cheaper bracket. That said all bands have gone up in the last week.

Correct, it just missed the higher bracket.

17 hours ago, rich1068 said:

They make it sound like they're a private seller. First question should be "So, how long have you had it?" :biggrin:

It would be an interesting conversation given the last eight years of servicing was carried out by Lexus Bristol and the seller is in Derby.

• Like 1

On 4/6/2023 at 3:12 PM, PRT68 said:

Indeed.

Private or dealer?

The 'ad' does look somewhat 'misleading'?

11 hours ago, Nick W858 said:

Not nice when you see the mark up. The simple answer of course is to stick with the private sale route which comes with its ‘interesting’ challenges!

Whilst you expect a dealer to make a profit it smarts knowing what price they I recieved me, it's makes you feel short changed. In fairness the dealer could have sold it on to friends or family who are just trying it on.

The reason I went down the part exhange route was I hate dealing with private buyers, I've had some good ones in the past but too many idiots and at my age, and given I have car another to sell, I just couldn't face it.

Also, whilst the GS was spot on, within the next two years a cam-belt change was due and in reality, possibly a new water pump given it's age and whilst the tyres had 6mm of tread they were eight years old. I needed to buy a more upright car due to health issues so it was time change and made sense to put my money into a newer Lexus.

1 hour ago, PCM said:

Indeed.

Private or dealer?

The 'ad' does look somewhat 'misleading'?

I part exchanged it with a dealer, so yes the ad is misleading and a little untrue in places to be fair. I think what annoys me most is I had lovingly looked after it, kept a comprehensive folder of service history, bills etc. and they are passing all my love, care and money off as their own.

Still, that's life I guess🙄

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, BarneyTT said:

Whilst you expect a dealer to make a profit it smarts knowing what price they I recieved me, it's makes you feel short changed. In fairness the dealer could have sold it on to friends or family who are just trying it on.

The reason I went down the part exhange route was I hate dealing with private buyers, I've had some good ones in the past but too many idiots and at my age, and given I have car another to sell, I just couldn't face it.

Also, whilst the GS was spot on, within the next two years a cam-belt change was due and in reality, possibly a new water pump given it's age and whilst the tyres had 6mm of tread they were eight years old. I needed to buy a more upright car due to health issues so it was time change and made sense to put my money into a newer Lexus.

I part exchanged it with a dealer, so yes the ad is misleading and a little untrue in places to be fair. I think what annoys me most is I had lovingly looked after it, kept a comprehensive folder of service history, bills etc. and they are passing all my love, care and money off as their own.

Still, that's life I guess🙄

I wouldn't worry about it Barney, if you were happy with the price at the time, then that's all that matters.

If it's any consolation, I sold my last car to a dealer, also complete  with full service records, and he immediately advertised it for more than twice as much. To be honest, I didn't mind, as I got what I wanted without the hassle of a private sale. If anything I felt a bit sorry for him, as it was still for sale a year later.

• Like 1

My GS300 was part ex'd for my current car 18/12 ago (2005 GS300) only got few hundred from dealer to avoid dealing with anyone else. within a few weeks appeared on autotrader for approx 10 times the amount i got for it. this i think might have been in birmingham but sold in Stoke. At the time i asked them what they did with the part exs and they said they went straight into the auction market. so someone bought it to make a quick profit

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bluemarlin said:

I wouldn't worry about it Barney, if you were happy with the price at the time, then that's all that matters.

If it's any consolation, I sold my last car to a dealer, also complete  with full service records, and he immediately advertised it for more than twice as much. To be honest, I didn't mind, as I got what I wanted without the hassle of a private sale. If anything I felt a bit sorry for him, as it was still for sale a year later.

Thanks Bill, as you said I accepted the offer and the deal has been done so time to move on. Your story highlights the swings and roundabouts of the car game, and like you, I didn't have the hassle of selling privately.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Fig said:

My GS300 was part ex'd for my current car 18/12 ago (2005 GS300) only got few hundred from dealer to avoid dealing with anyone else. within a few weeks appeared on autotrader for approx 10 times the amount i got for it. this i think might have been in birmingham but sold in Stoke. At the time i asked them what they did with the part exs and they said they went straight into the auction market. so someone bought it to make a quick profit

Much the same as the dealer told me upon asking so I guess the same thing could have happened with mine, at the price they are asking it would be a big, quick profit! Will keep an interested eye on the advert regardless😉

• Like 1

Well my IS300h has just sold privately. Yes there was a bit of hassle but not too much and it went to a lovely chap and the return was c25% higher than what the Lexus dealer offered in part exchange and both parties were happy, I’m guessing if he’d purchased it from the Lexus dealer he would have paid another c25% over what he paid me. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations on the sale of your IS300h, aside from some hassle at least it went to a decent buyer which makes the selling experience rather more pleasant.

Anything part exhanged or bought through the trade is going to be lower/higher but thankfully you and your buyer cut the trade aspect out:thumbsup:

Thanks Barney, yes he was a lovely chap and restored my faith in the fact there are some decent people out there. He was the only prospective buyer that I was happy to give my home address to. The others I’d offered to meet nearby with the proviso that once we were both happy with each other we’d go onto my house. Probably sounds a bit of overkill but better to be safe than sorry and the buyer was proof that you meet the nicest people in a Lexus! 

Finally got the GS last Thursday evening, beautiful car and when the time comes to sell the car, really hoping I find another great private buyer.

• Like 1

On 4/23/2023 at 7:26 PM, Nick W858 said:

Finally got the GS last Thursday evening, beautiful car and when the time comes to sell the car, really hoping I find another great private buyer.

Wishing you many miles of smiles with your new GS Nick, hope it looks after you:thumbsup:

• Like 1

Thanks Barney, just had my first work trip with the GS, circa 400 miles with a couple of overnight stays in between, mix of fast ish motorway driving, some country roads and some heavy town traffic. Car drove beautifully, very comfortable and cosseting. Never realised how much I needed a heated steering wheel in my life! Averaging 38.6 mpg over the 400 miles, similar trip in the loaner Yaris Cross last week only averaged 45 mpg, obviously with more biased town/city driving the Yaris would do a lot more to the gallon but for the kind of driving I do for work, the GS is great. The car is 5 years newer than my wife’s RX but the difference in the way the engine and car feels in the GS is astonishing although I’m aware that an SUV compared to a saloon is always going to be different. The GS feels a real wolf in sheep’s clothing. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links