Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Don't know what the neighbor's think

Well the alarm went off again the other night. I have now decided to switch the internal theft sensor off. It is now a matter of reminding myself to do it every night. The last time it went off a moth flew out not seen anything this time must be a little critter. There was no attempted theft or anything. So from now on I'm pressing the internal sensor to off. 

6 hours ago, ALAW said:

Well the alarm went off again the other night. I have now decided to switch the internal theft sensor off. It is now a matter of reminding myself to do it every night. The last time it went off a moth flew out not seen anything this time must be a little critter. There was no attempted theft or anything. So from now on I'm pressing the internal sensor to off. 

It is not unknown for aspiring thieves to activate alarm systems in the hope that they will eventually be turned off.

But if it’s something you’re determined to do - at least until any possible little critter dies a natural death - then maybe consider additional measures if you haven’t already.

Such as:

Leaving the wheels on full lock.

Fitting an overnight steering wheel lock.

And depending on where you leave the car overnight:

Installing security lighting.

Installing security cameras.

Fitting security gates - or those neat little posts that can be locked upright to block a driveway.

Buy a spray can of some suitable insect killer.

• Like 1

Turning the internal motion sensor off doesn't disable the main alarm, just the tilt and internal motion detection. If a door is opened without the fob the alarm should still sound and the immobiliser is also still active.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, LenT said:

It is not unknown for aspiring thieves to activate alarm systems in the hope that they will eventually be turned off.

But if it’s something you’re determined to do - at least until any possible little critter dies a natural death - then maybe consider additional measures if you haven’t already.

Such as:

Leaving the wheels on full lock.

Fitting an overnight steering wheel lock.

And depending on where you leave the car overnight:

Installing security lighting.

Installing security cameras.

Fitting security gates - or those neat little posts that can be locked upright to block a driveway.

Buy a spray can of some suitable insect killer.

Yeah i hear what your saying Len. I park so my doorbell camera gets triggered if any motion i have a floodlight on sensor but to be honest not a lot of car theft here. Turning the internal sensor off I'm quite happy for this if car was broken into alarm would go off. Pretty sure its a bug of some description car parked at work in country.    

• Like 1

14 hours ago, NemesisUK said:

Turning the internal motion sensor off doesn't disable the main alarm, just the tilt and internal motion detection. If a door is opened without the fob the alarm should still sound and the immobiliser is also still active.

Yes your correct Peter i am happy for this to be.  

11 hours ago, DavidCM said:

Alarms can be activated by the smallest thing-even down to a small spider or a ladybird.

I pulled into my sisters other week turned engine off and saw this little insect emerge from btm of windscreen flying about you can imagine i swiped it out of the car David.

• 2 weeks later...

I hadn't considered this before. At work, I often have to park near a line of large conifer trees - which there of course plenty of little insects gathering around during the warmer months. I try to keep away from parking right next to the trees for obvious reasons, but that's not always possible.

It's not unusual to see the odd fly make it into the car. In most cases it's got in there as I've opened the door in the morning to get out and not even noticed until I've returned to the car at the end of the day. On the odd occasion it's been the other way around where a fly has somehow got into the car when I've left work and only discovered it the following morning - so it had been in there overnight.

It's never set the alarm off in the three years I've had the car so far, but I'm going to keep my eye open for this now!

On 4/22/2023 at 4:26 PM, Gary H said:

I hadn't considered this before. At work, I often have to park near a line of large conifer trees - which there of course plenty of little insects gathering around during the warmer months. I try to keep away from parking right next to the trees for obvious reasons, but that's not always possible.

It's not unusual to see the odd fly make it into the car. In most cases it's got in there as I've opened the door in the morning to get out and not even noticed until I've returned to the car at the end of the day. On the odd occasion it's been the other way around where a fly has somehow got into the car when I've left work and only discovered it the following morning - so it had been in there overnight.

It's never set the alarm off in the three years I've had the car so far, but I'm going to keep my eye open for this now!

I opened the passenger door the other day and there on the top dash was a lacewing I think that's what its called. From now on Gary I'm turning the internal sensor off problem solved. It's just remembering to do it.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links