Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Made my mind up

Russ59

Well I’ve had code P1651 come up today, I’ve asked round what it involves and decided to get it fixed shortly.

So after it’s been done I’ve decided to sell the car, I know I’m going to make a big loss on it after the premium price I paid for it and money and repairs I’ve done on it in the year and bit I’ve owned it.

I want something I can climb into the engine bay and fix myself, something before all warning lights lit up like a bloody Xmas tree and sent doubts into your head thinking what the f##ks gone wrong now

Whatch this space.

5 minutes ago, Bob King said:

Russell I’m sure there are YouTube clip on how to replace the valve under the manifold …being a Lexus I’m sure it will come apart easily 👍🏻

Russell I’m sure there are YouTube clip on how to replace the valve under the manifold …being a Lexus I’m sure it will come apart easily 👍🏻

Bob, my mechanic is going to fix it.

I have to say it hasn’t cut the mustard in the time I’ve had it, I much prefer a car you have to drive, I know I should have kept my old trusty Z4.

I’ve always wanted one, now I’ve had one.

• Thanks 1

You’re in too deep now with the exhaust and stuff to bail out now 👍🏻

I have considered all this😩😩😩

Do I need my missus to convince me to keep it 😂😂😂

• Like 1

Ive seen dozens and dozens of SC owners come through the Lexus  forums, and you have been more unlucky than most☹️

Maybe once this job is fix you can get some pleasure out of it during the summer.

Double edge sword….. unusual colour so could get good money in the summer months, or keep it until autumn and prices could drop.

• Like 3

The SC is like any car if you get a good one it is a thing of joy. If you end up buying a troublesome one it will be a huge disappointment. Overall I think Lexus owners look after their cars well and are more likely to have their car serviced by Lexus. When you look at the high mileage of some examples and the age it is no surprise that some are going to be troublesome and change hands regularly. So the choice is generally pay over the odds for a lower mileage good service history car or buy a cheap one knowing it may need lots of work. I was willing to pay double the going rate for a low mileage one owner car that Lexus had done everything that need doing before I bought it. Doing this means I have a car that is a long term keeper and retains a decent resale value. 

Hopefully when you have your car repaired nothing else will go wrong and you can start to enjoy the SC again for what it usually is.

• Like 4

Russell.

I did this job recently. It can certainly be done by a DIY mechanic with a reasonable toolkit. It is a challenge, especially if you are working without a helper. The inlet manifold is heavy and difficult to move in a tight space. I managed it and I have had no formal training as a mechanic. I posted some tips on this forum for anyone who fancies doing this job. There are videos on youtube.

It will be a shame if you get rid of your SC. I had a Z4. It was fine for 2 years then it gave me 11 problems in 8 months. I was glad to see the back of it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Tomtit said:

Russell.

I did this job recently. It can certainly be done by a DIY mechanic with a reasonable toolkit. It is a challenge, especially if you are working without a helper. The inlet manifold is heavy and difficult to move in a tight space. I managed it and I have had no formal training as a mechanic. I posted some tips on this forum for anyone who fancies doing this job. There are videos on youtube.

It will be a shame if you get rid of your SC. I had a Z4. It was fine for 2 years then it gave me 11 problems in 8 months. I was glad to see the back of it.

Opposite way round for me, I only had to replace the power steering motor on my Z4 in the 9 years I owned it, Nothing else.

Yet the SC has given me several issues in a year and a bit.

What tips have you posted on doing the job?

My post dated 27 January 2023 has some info and a couple of photos.

My SC is 22 years old so I expect to have a few issues. 

My Z4 had heavy steering, but only in summer temperatures. When the weather was cooler it behaved normally. That is one problem that was left for someone else to sort out.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Of course, careful use and appropriate good maintenance can make a difference but regardless of make, some cars are going to be lemons.  Things can go wrong even on or before a production line.  Consider the many components that comprise a car and how invariably a small number of these will fail prematurely even if well screwed to cars and even this can vary.  You can only say that overall, certain models/makes show better reliability than others.  Cars are being loaded with ever more equipment for the convenience of drivers and to meet obligatory safety and environmental standards, which adds to complexity and potential problems, particularly as there is a pressure to achieve this at minimal cost. 

So it will be interesting to learn what replacement is found for the Lexus and how reliable this proves to be.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links