Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

2014 IS 300H F-Sport Softer Suspension

Hi all,

I have had my IS now for just over a month and one thing i have noticed is that the suspension is very harsh. It may be a result of the utterly terrible roads that are about and coming from a GS is making it much more noticeable. The car has full service history and there is nothing stating any issues with the shocks so i dont think there is a problem with that just a fair bit harsher than the Luxobarge GS450h.. Anyway, looking to the future has anyone managed to get a softer ride using ajustable shocks/coilovers or are the Luxury/Premier shocks/springs a straight swap considering they are aimed at comfort over sportyness? 

Any help is appreciated.

Might sound like an obvious 1st choice but look at getting comfort oriented tyres. I found the ride on the 18 inchers really harsh coming from an e class it was very noticeable. Eventually i got new tyres and they made a world of a difference. The previous Dunlops i had on the front were the reason for the harsh ride. Got new good years and now the ride is tolerable and mine are not even comfort oriented tyres. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Notamech said:

Might sound like an obvious 1st choice but look at getting comfort oriented tyres. I found the ride on the 18 inchers really harsh coming from an e class it was very noticeable. Eventually i got new tyres and they made a world of a difference. The previous Dunlops i had on the front were the reason for the harsh ride. Got new good years and now the ride is tolerable and mine are not even comfort oriented tyres. 

Funnily enough I have seen some Michelin PS5 for the front for a good price today. Never even really thought about comfort orientated tyres to be honest. Do you have any recommendations?

I have a MK2 IS250 F Sport and the with the original tyres the ride was so bad that going over a curb bashed my finger on the headlight stalk and it started bleeding non stop!

Swapping to ECO Contact6 Continentals has made the ride far more tolerable. its still a little rough but its a fine balance between sportiness and comfort and it also maximises MPG which is nice 

1 hour ago, ZXSpectrum said:

Funnily enough I have seen some Michelin PS5 for the front for a good price today. Never even really thought about comfort orientated tyres to be honest. Do you have any recommendations?

Most big brands tend to have a touring range. These typically tend to be comfort oriented. So for example the Bridgestone turanza, GoodYear Efficientgrip, Conti premium contact or the Michelin primacy range. Other big brands also have an equivalent touring range but i would stick with these top brands. Pilot sport 5 from what i understand is a high performance tyre thats meant to be more sporty and not as comfortable as a touring tyre. Some of the sporty ones do offer a decent balance like the GoodYear asymmetric 6 that I got. The ride is now still a bit harsh but way more tolerable than it was. I reckon a touring tyre would help make it even more compliant. 

12 hours ago, Las Palmas said:

Higher profile tyres = softer ride. Less metal, more air.

Have always recommended Continental and will change to that next time instead of the OEM I stupidly replaced once to same.

thanks for that.. Surely they have to be the same size though for the specific wheels so they will be the same profile.. Unless i am missing something. 

11 hours ago, Notamech said:

Most big brands tend to have a touring range. These typically tend to be comfort oriented. So for example the Bridgestone turanza, GoodYear Efficientgrip, Conti premium contact or the Michelin primacy range. Other big brands also have an equivalent touring range but i would stick with these top brands. Pilot sport 5 from what i understand is a high performance tyre thats meant to be more sporty and not as comfortable as a touring tyre. Some of the sporty ones do offer a decent balance like the GoodYear asymmetric 6 that I got. The ride is now still a bit harsh but way more tolerable than it was. I reckon a touring tyre would help make it even more compliant. 

Thanks i will look into it.. I think Costco do Michelin so can ask about them. According to the service (Just over a month ago) one tyre is almost new (I knew bout that) and the others are at about 4mm.. Its hightly possible that as the car wasnt used that much over covid period that they are past their best and causing the harshness. 

4 minutes ago, ZXSpectrum said:

thanks for that.. Surely they have to be the same size though for the specific wheels so they will be the same profile.. Unless i am missing something. 

Thanks i will look into it.. I think Costco do Michelin so can ask about them. According to the service (Just over a month ago) one tyre is almost new (I knew bout that) and the others are at about 4mm.. Its hightly possible that as the car wasnt used that much over covid period that they are past their best and causing the harshness. 

Yes that is very much a possibility. Older tyres do go harder over time. I would say try getting new tyres first before meddling with the suspension. Michelins are typically very good ive always had a good experience with them and they last long too. 

• Like 1

Just had a look into it and i have found a set of Brigestone Turanza T005 for £84 fronts and £143 rears and they have a £25 off if you buy 4 making it £446 plus £17 delivered. I am looking to get the wheels refurbished soon so i can just take them with me and they will fit the new tyres when they have been refurbished. 

Even from the blurb on the website: "Bridgestone have included their B-Silent technology in the Turanza T005 tyre, to help minimise road noise and enhance driver comfort."

Does that sound like a good deal?

31 minutes ago, ZXSpectrum said:

Just had a look into it and i have found a set of Brigestone Turanza T005 for £84 fronts and £143 rears and they have a £25 off if you buy 4 making it £446 plus £17 delivered. I am looking to get the wheels refurbished soon so i can just take them with me and they will fit the new tyres when they have been refurbished. 

Even from the blurb on the website: "Bridgestone have included their B-Silent technology in the Turanza T005 tyre, to help minimise road noise and enhance driver comfort."

Does that sound like a good deal?

Sounds ok. Not a great deal as that price doesnt include fitting + valves. Fitting on 18 inch tyres is quite expensive i think i was told its £20 or something per wheel including balancing + valves extra. Unless your refurbishment cost includes fitting anyway then it may make sense. Also Bridgestone turanza have a new turanza 6. The T005 is the previous model. Also when i was looking into buying tyres there were reports of premature dry rot on bridgestone turanza t005s. I don't know if thats been fixed now or if its covered under some sort of warranty but it put them lower on my list. 

245x40x18  will be 635,2mm high  and will rotate 501.48 revolutions each km

245x45x17  will be 652.3mm high  and will rotate 502,17 revolution each km

Difference will be 0.137%

Ride will be softer.

Maybe 4 new wheels will be cheaper than a new softer suspension.

I have found that an F Sport still rides better than a  BMW M Sport.

To make it softer you need a softer side wall.

I found budget tyres helped the ride significantly but grip was compromised.

Uniroyal Rainsport were good as a mid range tyre with a soft sidewall and still ver y good grip.

Personally I like the stiff suspension and it grows on you!

• 1 month later...

I managed to get a cracking deal on a full set of Bridgestone Turanza 6 fitted balanced eTc for £492 all in at Kwik Fit of all places ( they had a 10% discount if I had 2 or more tyres but the code took 10% off the tyres but then another 10% off the total with the balancing, disposal of old tyres and tps seals eTc)they said the front needed a alignment but I am not going to pay them 65 quid when I can get it done elsewhere for 35. 

on the short drive home they seem better and a little less harsh but has mad a big difference in how light the car feels to drive. I will update on the feel of the tyres once I have driven to work and back a few days. Unfortunately one thing tyres won’t really help with is the shocking state of the roads. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ZXSpectrum said:

when I can get it done elsewhere for 35. 

Normally a cheap wheel alignment is the 'tracking' or toe. Better to get proper wheel geometry carried out so tow, camber and caster are checked.

I am pretty sure the last one I had on my GS was full camber, caster and toe. I don’t believe there is any adjustment on the rear of the GS. Kwik Fit did say that was £65 for just the alignment and it’s just the front that was a bit out. 

There is a place across town that does  proper 4 wheel alignment but I am a bit apprehensive as I took my 200SX there a few years back and a lad snapped the head off one of the main Camber adjustment bolts by tightening not Loosening it. 

Is there any rear adjustment on the IS300h F-Sport?

Is there any rear adjustment on the IS300h F-Sport?

Only toe adjustment on the rear. If the camber is out it would normally indicate some bushing wear or suspension arm damage.

On 6/25/2023 at 12:50 PM, ZXSpectrum said:

Yeah that was my thoughts. They have only said that it’s the front that need sorting. 

How are the noise levels on the turanzas? I'm a bit unhappy with my curent conti premium contacts due to some resonance humming which is very annoying at around 50kph and I'm considering the turanza 6. 

Guessing you also have the 225 fronts and 255 rears

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links