Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Starter Battery Replacement is300h (2017)

Hi folks,

I hope someone can give me some help on this one.  I went out this afternoon and tried to start the car and I got a message 'Hybrid not working, move gear to P' I did this a number of times but the car wouldn't start. I think the starter Battery is dead.  I disconnected it in the boot.

Can anyone tell me, is there a specific 12 v Battery I need to replace it or will any do?  I know there is a temperature sensor in the Panasonic Battery, what do I do with that?  Would it be better to buy a charging kit until I can get to a Lexus dealership?

Any help would be warmly appreciated.  Typical something like this happening on a Saturday evening when everywhere is closed. 

If you can charge the 12V Battery that would be good. Then the computer should start and activate the hybrid Battery that should start the engine.

A bit early for the 12V Battery to not function as it is not used to anything else than starting the computer. The CT we have is registered October 2016 (they tell me it is a 2017 model) and so far, we have had no problems starting the car. Thought the OEM batteries would last more or less 10 years if car is used regularly.

4 hours ago, wolverball01 said:

I know there is a temperature sensor in the Panasonic battery, what do I do with that?

Just tape it on to the new Battery in approximately the same position.

However, before going and spending money on a new Battery I would first of all charge your existing one overnight at least.

Secondly, this message may not have anything at all to do with the 12V Battery anyway.

You need to have the OBD codes read to see if anything is flagged and you also need to have the 12V Battery load tested. I wouldn't spend any money without knowing the results of both these things first. Once you have the results, come back for more advice.

This has happened to me a couple of times.

As Herbie points out, the actual messages displayed when the 12 V Battery is low are irrelevant. What happens is that the computers don’t get enough voltage to function properly, so they can flash lights and show text that is completely bonkers.

Since this Battery only powers some electronics and no starter motor, the load on the Battery is very low. However, if you drive mostly short distances or leave the car parked for some time, the 12 V Battery can discharge. It is charged whenever the hybrid traction system is powered on, but the charging current is limited to 4 A. So a completely discharged Battery will need a very long drive to charge up completely. A couple of hours will not make much of a difference.

So my recommendation is to get a good charger like a CTEK or equivalent, that has an intelligent charging cycle that includes a heath check, charges the Battery, and then goes into maintenace charging once the Battery is full. I hook mine up a few times per year when I know that I have not done any long drives for a while. I installed a quick connector on the Battery so I don’t have to mess with the screw terminals on the Battery. Very convenient.

21 hours ago, wolverball01 said:

Hi folks,

I hope someone can give me some help on this one.  I went out this afternoon and tried to start the car and I got a message 'Hybrid not working, move gear to P' I did this a number of times but the car wouldn't start. I think the starter battery is dead.  I disconnected it in the boot.

Can anyone tell me, is there a specific 12 v battery I need to replace it or will any do?  I know there is a temperature sensor in the Panasonic battery, what do I do with that?  Would it be better to buy a charging kit until I can get to a Lexus dealership?

Any help would be warmly appreciated.  Typical something like this happening on a Saturday evening when everywhere is closed. 

This is quite long but there is a lot of good info re the 12v battery: 

3 hours ago, Mr_Groundhog said:

be careful for I was told at the dealership that THEY need to do it, otherwise your electronics in the centre console will start to do strange stuff: they need to do a dealership reset upon changing the battery

Sounds like nonsense to keep the dealership pockets lined.

I changed mine 3 years ago and all fine.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mr_Groundhog said:

be careful for I was told at the dealership that THEY need to do it, otherwise your electronics in the centre console will start to do strange stuff: they need to do a dealership reset upon changing the battery

3 hours ago, matt8 said:

Careful, this board and the web at large have plenty of reports of malfunctions after a home replacement of Battery. I've not researched root cause, probably you need to either isolate breakers or reinitiate some onboard systems.

Mine was done by dealer on the back end of the issues reported with self change. I took the view that they do it and if they break something they will fix it.

I had also had heard that a permanent parallel supply was also beneficial which ensured no reset of settings/ car having to relearn things.

My dealer did the change for me at the cost of the Battery only which I was very happy with so around 180.00, Likely on the basis that for not charging 0.5/1 HR of labour that you will go back again if needed. It's sometimes those little things that matter and sets them aside from the likes of BMW/Mercedes who love to charge for every minute of time.

No issues after the Battery was done, the tech did point out though that a lot of the smaller auxiliary batteries on some models, including CT/IS didn't do well through COVID/lack of use etc and had degraded beyond charging repair giving an instability to the Battery

20 hours ago, DBIZO said:

Careful, this board and the web at large have plenty of reports of malfunctions after a home replacement of battery. I've not researched root cause, probably you need to either isolate breakers or reinitiate some onboard systems.

Are you talking about the centre console and a blank screen after a Battery change? I’ve seen and noted this on other member posts.

But the first incident I saw here on the forums was where the dealer had changed the Battery! So my point is, dealers are not immune from this and have no alternative procedure to what you or I might do.

The person I was responding to said the dealer had told them they need to do a reset of the Battery after changing it. If this is true, please can someone advise how this is done, and to what benefit?

1 hour ago, matt8 said:

Are you talking about the centre console and a blank screen after a battery change? I’ve seen and noted this on other member posts.

But the first incident I saw here on the forums was where the dealer had changed the battery! So my point is, dealers are not immune from this and have no alternative procedure to what you or I might do.

The person I was responding to said the dealer had told them they need to do a reset of the battery after changing it. If this is true, please can someone advise how this is done, and to what benefit?

Yes, I think that's the common thing.

But the onus is on them to get it right. If I do it myself, and run into trouble, I need to resolve it myself. If you're a car guy and don't mind spending time on researching and fiddling, that's fine, but I'm not, I simply don't have the time and mental reserves for this, and happy to part with money just to make it someone else's responsibility.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links