Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is it safe to let wheels roll with transmission on Neutral

Question: A IS250 Automatic, is it safe to put it in Neutral by using the shift lock button and push and roll it if the car is turned off? I remember reading something about towing a rear wheel drive and that the rear wheels apparently shouldn't be free spinning when towing and hence apparently when you tow a rear wheel drive, the car has to be towed with the rear elevated and only the front wheels free-spinning. Can anyone explain why exactly that is? 

Because of this towing rule, it got me thinking does that mean you can't roll and push the car when its off and in Neutral too?

If you are just moving it a few yards say out of the garage and back that’s fine, years ago you could tow conventional automatics for short distances below a certain speed but with the advent of CVT not nowadays. 

I think the main reason why they need a suspended tow is because if the engine is not running the transmission fluid pump is also not running which could lead to overheating and transmission failure.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, john2k said:

Question: A IS250 Automatic, is it safe to put it in Neutral by using the shift lock button and push and roll it if the car is turned off? I remember reading something about towing a rear wheel drive and that the rear wheels apparently shouldn't be free spinning when towing and hence apparently when you tow a rear wheel drive, the car has to be towed with the rear elevated and only the front wheels free-spinning. Can anyone explain why exactly that is? 

Because of this towing rule, it got me thinking does that mean you can't roll and push the car when its off and in Neutral too?

It's fine to do. You shouldn't tow it like that because like Steve says, it can cause overheating 

Steve. What you said about the transmission pump not running. This is for CVT yes? 

John is talking about a standard auto. The differential has its own 'tank' of oil. Therefore by virtue its ok to tow an auto if its in neutral. 

10 minutes ago, john2k said:

So generally pushing it back and forth a few meters is safe?

Yes, it's one of the few reasons for having N in the 'box!

6 hours ago, Mr Vlad said:

Steve. What you said about the transmission pump not running. This is for CVT yes? 

John is talking about a standard auto. The differential has its own 'tank' of oil. Therefore by virtue its ok to tow an auto if its in neutral. 

No sorry I was referring to the conventional torque converter transmissions.

Automatics can be towed for short distances . The trouble is the pump that pumps the ATF around the gearbox only runs when the engine is running so can cause damage. Don't know about CTV as I have no experience of these. Being an old school mechanic lol

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links