Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Same car, different insurance price

Just noticed funny "trick" or bug in the insurance quote (at least on comparethamrket.com)... basically I was insuring GS300 and after entering VRN it gives two options for the car, which are identical:

image.thumb.png.a4a4c92523a5f9fbd3a16904c1ed4bfb.png

However... if you select the first one in the list, then insurance price is £562, but if you select the second in the list, then price drops to £471.

Not sure why, not sure if this applies to all years and maybe other models, but usually when I enter the registration it only gives one selection whereas this time there were two and they have noticeable difference in the price despite being identical.

I am sure that somebody will comment that it is important to make sure to select correct one , or that I must call insurance and clarify, or else insurance will get "invalidated" or some other paranoid stuff... NOPE - they are both correct and as a consumer there is no way for me to distinguish them, so I have absolute right to choose the cheaper option even if somewhere in the back end of the database they are somehow different.

So if you have GS300, then make sure to play around with the options and see if you getting only one model to select or maybe more. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Linas.P said:

after entering VRN it gives two options for the car, which are identical:

What happens when you try entering that VRN in MiD or MoT checker websites?

9 hours ago, Linas.P said:

Just noticed funny "trick" or bug in the insurance quote (at least on comparethamrket.com)... basically I was insuring GS300 and after entering VRN it gives two options for the car, which are identical:

image.thumb.png.a4a4c92523a5f9fbd3a16904c1ed4bfb.png

However... if you select the first one in the list, then insurance price is £562, but if you select the second in the list, then price drops to £471.

Not sure why, not sure if this applies to all years and maybe other models, but usually when I enter the registration it only gives one selection whereas this time there were two and they have noticeable difference in the price despite being identical.

I am sure that somebody will comment that it is important to make sure to select correct one , or that I must call insurance and clarify, or else insurance will get "invalidated" or some other paranoid stuff... NOPE - they are both correct and as a consumer there is no way for me to distinguish them, so I have absolute right to choose the cheaper option even if somewhere in the back end of the database they are somehow different.

So if you have GS300, then make sure to play around with the options and see if you getting only one model to select or maybe more. 

If you call them the nice sales-person you get to talk with, most likely will tell you the expensive one is the one that you must chose, because it is the right one.

• Haha 1

Probably a bug in their DB.
If they have the same model twice with different insurance groups, that'll happen.

Either way, its valid whichever option you select. So long as you provide correct details, they can't refuse anything.

15 hours ago, NemesisUK said:

What happens when you try entering that VRN in MiD or MoT checker websites?

MID just says whenever it is insured or not, so basically nothing. MOT just shows MOT for correct car, there is nothing suspicious about it. I tied with two GS300 now and both rendered same results. 

14 hours ago, Las Palmas said:

If you call them the nice sales-person you get to talk with, most likely will tell you the expensive one is the one that you must chose, because it is the right one.

I have no doubt about it... and as special deal just for today and for calling an extra £100 more expensive to improve my experience with the cover. 

• Like 1

I had a not dissimilar experience - phoned up to insure my Mum's car and had a quote on the phone. Told it would be all online to pay when I was ready. When I looked online it was  about 10% cheaper - so paid the online amount.

I reckon this is the case for all 55/05 plate GS300, maybe other years as well, so keep this in mind if you doing quote online next time. On the other hand this may be just comparethemarket.com quirk, because I had to get daily insurance from daysure and they correctly recognised the car and gave me one price. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links