Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Aftermarket parking sensors

Are there any aftermarket parking sensors that are as good as the Lexus ones? I've looked on eBay and there are all sorts from £60 for a complete set to £30 for a single one from Germany.

Recommendations welcomed, thanks!

when my Mk1 Ls400 rear bumper took a hit, many years back, .  it dropped one corner askew and blimey, the packing inside was amazing to behold .....  layers and bolsters of this and that . .  and that looked so complex and mightily heavy at the time ......  on the 1992 Ls400

Malc

On 6/10/2023 at 4:11 AM, Antharro said:

Are there any aftermarket parking sensors that are as good as the Lexus ones? I've looked on eBay and there are all sorts from £60 for a complete set to £30 for a single one from Germany. Recommendations welcomed, thanks!

Hi David,
I fitted two eBay sourced ones from China to the front of my 2004 and they have worked fine ever since (2 years).
Chances are they won't last as long at the OE ones but are a fraction of the price (Lexus ones are £70 PER SENSOR!!!).
Of course, a few months after fitting them two more of the OE sensors have crapped out. 🙄
So, I have bought an entire set of the Chinese ones and once I get enough gumption saved up, I will replace the whole lot and keep the known good ones as spares.
The part numbers are:

Rear centre TWO - 89341-50020-**, 89341-50040-**, or 89341-50050-**
Rear outer TWO - 89341-50011-**

Front centre TWO - 89341-50020-**, 89341-50040-**, or 89341-50050-**
Front outer FOUR - 89341-50011-**

** is the 2 digit colour code if you want them colour matched.

I fitted black ones on my dark blue LS430 and they blend in nicely.
If you do want colour matched, then you will have to get them from an OEM Lexus parts supplier and pay their ridiculous prices.
In my case the ** is J0 (Jay-Zero) for colour code 8P8 (Blue Onyx Pearl).

Having had a glance under my '93 rear bumper the hidden parking sensor strip looks unfittable. Better if it was on the outside of the Bumper under the chrome strip and I may consider it with extra 3m tape the full length of the mag. strip. Although it would either have to twist and dive under the bumper one corner to allow the electrics to reach the box internally or need drill a hole . So.. maybe not!  btw under £14 from Chin A on eBay if you don't mind a wait on delivery.

• Like 2

On 6/13/2023 at 12:20 AM, Howplum said:

I will be removing my bumpers sonn for repainting, so hopefully all will be revealed then.

Please take a photo of the back of the Bumper. Your later model may be different to my own which curled around the Exhaust pipes making access without removal, impossible. .

On 6/10/2023 at 6:04 AM, Howplum said:

Not seen this before, but it does seem an excellent idea - if it works.  It eliminates both the need to drill fixing holes for the sensors and one of the weak points of conventional sensors.

Namely, damp can get inside the sensor and it stops working - a particular problem in winter, I’ve found, with an aftermarket system I had fitted to our Suzuki 4x4.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have just removed my rear bumper (approximately 30(!) fixing of various types) and for those of who are curious this is what it looks like:

IMG_20230707_160156827_HDR.thumb.jpg.dcd789513a9a7abc2c0b0c8861938ff3.jpg

The foam packing is supposed to held onto the crash beam with a couple of pegs, but not any more! However, it is not attached to the plastic bumper, so possibly the ribbon type reversing sensor could be attached to the rear of the bumper without interfering with anything. Alternatively the more usual round sensors could be fitted so that they line up with the existing gaps in the foam packing.

However, two points to bear in mind:

1. Five of the six bolts holding the sides on have sheared, which is where it starts getting more challenging, especially if you are paying someone else to do the job.

2. A connector will be needed in the wiring so that the bumper can be removed in future without having to cut any wires.

I have now decided I will rely solely on the reversing camera, which was much easier to fit (to the boot lid).

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links