Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

NX 300h - Service History

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a car from a leading dealership, which was sold to me with full service history. However, when I requested to see the records, the dealership could not provide them to me. The Lexus online service history only dates back to 2019 and nothing afterwards.

On top of this issue, there were also problems with the tires on the car which they have agreed to replace.

I am worried that I may have paid more for a car with full service history that now seems questionable. Does anyone have any thoughts on what I can do in regards to the missing service history? Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I should have asked to view the records before the sale 😞

Thank you.

Warm Regards
Bill

Do you have any of this in writing? I.e. them telling you its got a full service history? 

Lexus approved cars, as well as alot other manufacturers don't require their approved used cars to have any service history at all as long as it's gone through the workshop for checks and a service done by them before sale

• Like 2

Thanks @rayaans for replying. Yes I do have it in writing.

To clarify, it was not a Lexus dealership, but a Lexus from main dealer who deals with another manufacturer. The dealer say they have serviced it before sale. The condition they delivered the car (not very clean) makes me sceptic, unfortunately. The car drives good and I really liked it.

Based on your comment, I am assuming it is okay to not have service records and it won't affect if I plan to sell the car in the future?

Thanks again.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, biltech said:

Thanks @rayaans for replying. Yes I do have it in writing.

To clarify, it was not a Lexus dealership, but a Lexus from main dealer who deals with another manufacturer. The dealer say they have serviced it before sale. The condition they delivered the car (not very clean) makes me sceptic, unfortunately. The car drives good and I really liked it.

Based on your comment, I am assuming it is okay to not have service records and it won't affect if I plan to sell the car in the future?

Thanks again.

It depends. Some people don't care

But I would expect most careful buyers to expect a full service history 

Realistically they have sold a car to you not as described. If you like the car and drives well then you need to try and get some compensation from them. Or hand it back for a full refund

• Like 1

@rayaans - That is what I was thinking; if they cannot get me the records, I will try the compensation or return the keys in the worst case for sure. If it was a part service history vehicle I could have bought it for a much less money from a local dealer and not from the main one. Lesson learned to treat them all with caution and don't believe a thing they advertise. I was thinking about getting the extended warranty package they offered (not Lexus), now I am wondering how much of that can be trusted in the event of a claim.

Thank you.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, biltech said:

@rayaans - That is what I was thinking; if they cannot get me the records, I will try the compensation or return the keys in the worst case for sure. If it was a part service history vehicle I could have bought it for a much less money from a local dealer and not from the main one. Lesson learned to treat them all with caution and don't believe a thing they advertise. I was thinking about getting the extended warranty package they offered (not Lexus), now I am wondering how much of that can be trusted in the event of a claim.

Thank you.

Get it serviced by Lexus and then benefit from Lexus Relax until up to 2029 (if you have it serviced annually by Lexus).

• Like 3

It might be worth posting the car's registration number here (assuming you're not someone who is fearful of putting that out online for all to see) - maybe a member on here previously owned the car and can throw some light on the missing service history.

Just a thought.

• Like 1

It sounds like your missing the most important cross check information for the first ,3 years leading up to its first MOT.(2016-2019)

It's important you do your upmost to validate mileage at first MOT along with service history mileage for each year.

The NXs are capable of mega mileage and you'd struggle to see if a one had done more miles than recorded (would be easy to loose 30k )

I have seen NXs with 140,k over 3.5 year (14 service stamps) and they still look as though they've done a quarter of that.

Don't suppose they provided any handbooks/etc where you would find supplying dealership? 

If so 9 times out of 10 easy to ring that dealer for any recorded info on their system. They would oblige.

If you have nothing, based on your registration, try ringing around lexus dealers around where the car was initially registered, again you could hit lucky with this method.

Not sure when lexus started to record/transfer info to the online lexus link app. (Assume this is where your seeing the gap)

Theres the possibility (and have come across) where a car has been purchased by customer who used there own garage for servicing, purely and simply on the basis that the lexus garage was a 50 mile hike away.

I once avoided a lexus where 50,000 miles of its record was missing,car was being sold as approved from a lexus dealership, so yes you need your wits about you when buying.

The previous owner details that used to be available on V5s are a thing of the past, nothing now passed on where previously you could see previous keeper info.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/15/2023 at 12:42 AM, cadman2k said:

Don't suppose they provided any handbooks/etc where you would find supplying dealership? 

If so 9 times out of 10 easy to ring that dealer for any recorded info on their system. They would oblige.

If you have nothing, based on your registration, try ringing around lexus dealers around where the car was initially registered, again you could hit lucky with this method.

Not sure when lexus started to record/transfer info to the online lexus link app. (Assume this is where your seeing the gap)

Theres the possibility (and have come across) where a car has been purchased by customer who used there own garage for servicing, purely and simply on the basis that the lexus garage was a 50 mile hike away.

I once avoided a lexus where 50,000 miles of its record was missing,car was being sold as approved from a lexus dealership, so yes you need your wits about you when buying.

The previous owner details that used to be available on V5s are a thing of the past, nothing now passed on where previously you could see previous keeper info.

No handbooks, unfortunately. Yes, I am viewing the services online / Lexus link app.

I agree, there is a possibility the previous owners might have serviced it elsewhere. I am really annoyed the dealership stated it is a full-service vehicle when the vehicle only had part service on the records. They charged me for a vehicle with full-service history and let me down 😞

Does anyone know roughly the price difference between a vehicle with full vs part history in terms of valuation or a future sale? Thx.

On 6/13/2023 at 10:39 PM, Steve Oliver said:

Get it serviced by Lexus and then benefit from Lexus Relax until up to 2029 (if you have it serviced annually by Lexus).

Yes, I am thinking about this route so it covers me until 2026. Thx.

On 6/14/2023 at 12:13 PM, Scotlex said:

You could try to contact the previous owner who would hopefully know about the service history.

Is this okay to write to the previous owners if I can find the details? I was reluctant to go down this route due to the data and privacy issues. 🙄

On 6/14/2023 at 10:49 AM, Andy B said:

It might be worth posting the car's registration number here (assuming you're not someone who is fearful of putting that out online for all to see) - maybe a member on here previously owned the car and can throw some light on the missing service history.

Just a thought.

There is a complaint in progress hence didn't publish it.

If the last recorded service was in 2019, then it's possible that the previous owner didn't bother with a service in 2020 due to covid lockdowns, especially if he/she wasn't using the car much, and may well have skipped 2021 as well if there wasn't much mileage. Some people stick to 10,000 miles and ignore the 12 month bit if they don't drive much.

What was the recorded mileage at the 2019 service, and the mileage when you bought it? Also, what does the MOT history look like. Are they all passes, or have there been problems.

If you're going to get it serviced by Lexus from now on it's worth popping into your local dealer as they'll sometimes do a free health check. If there are no problems with the car, it's in good shape cosmetically, hasn't done ridiculous mileage since it's last service in 2019, and you're otherwise happy with it, then I'd be inclined to take a reasonable compensation payment and move on.

In any event, if a fault occurs within 30 days you have a right to reject, and within the first 6 months it's assumed by default that any problem was pre-existing, unless the dealer can prove otherwise, so you have some protection if there are any hidden faults.

As for how it will affect resale value, assuming you get it regularly serviced at Lexus, then the longer you keep it the less of an issue it will be.

11 hours ago, biltech said:

Is this okay to write to the previous owners if I can find the details? I was reluctant to go down this route due to the data and privacy issues. 🙄

If you have the address, a quick letter (with stamped addressed envelope enclosed) would be worth a try.

Unfortunately a lot of people are quite uninterested about servicing so you may get a vague reply.

On a previous "fully serviced" car that I bought I tried to get proof that the timing belt had been changed. I never did get the information 🙄 and eventually gave up.

On 6/13/2023 at 6:45 PM, biltech said:

Thank you.

If I Were YOU I Would forget about THERE extended Warranty And Have it serviced annually at your Lexus Dealership ( At Least You know what to expect Regarding lexus Relax Warranty ) This extended Warranty Your Garage are offering Might not Turn out to be what you expect Play safe and Go For lexus Relax Warranty for peace of mind...Hope that helps.!!

• Like 4

16 hours ago, biltech said:

No handbooks, unfortunately. Yes, I am viewing the services online / Lexus link app.

I agree, there is a possibility the previous owners might have serviced it elsewhere. I am really annoyed the dealership stated it is a full-service vehicle when the vehicle only had part service on the records. They charged me for a vehicle with full-service history and let me down 😞

Does anyone know roughly the price difference between a vehicle with full vs part history in terms of valuation or a future sale? Thx.

Its very difficult to get a true idea of how much service history would affect the value. 

One thing you could do bar the MOT history, is to get a Carly obd dongle and do a used car check through the obd port. It'll give you the true mileage of the vehicle and sometimes does contain service information as well I.e. when it was serviced etc 

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links