Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Yet another ISF wanted..!

8 hours ago, si-isf said:

What is everyone's general thoughts on imports? Are you considering them in your searches?

The difference with imports is the same as any other car produced in Japan really, both cars will have been produced in the same factory to the same standards but may have differences between the UKDM and JDM models, as such there's always pros and cons:

Pros (in general):

1: Less corrosion, the climate in Japan is much better for cars than the UK and so a JDM car will normally corrode at half the speed of a UKDM car of the same model/year.

2: Lower mileage, JDM cars will generally have done less miles than a UKDM car of the same age, as despite Japan being bigger than the UK it's mostly mountains so the actual areas you would want to go are usually close together (plus they have amazing public transport).

3: Insurance costs may be lower (varies by broker).

4: RHD indicator stalks.

Cons (in general):

1: Satnav and some buttons will be in Japanese.

2: Radar cruise was a (rare) option on JDM ISF's

3: Speedo was originally in KM, this is something that needs to be changed to make the car UK legal and the methods/quality of such work can be hit and miss.

4: Vehicle will be limited to 112MPH (usually ~120MPH on the clock) unless this has been removed.

5: Service history will be either missing or in Japanese.

6: Insurance costs may be higher (varies by broker).

7: RHD indicator stalks.

Value is a bit up in the air as it tends to vary by car and the verdict isn't in on the ISF yet.  In the case of the 4th/5th Gen Honda Prelude people used to pay a premium for the superior JDM versions over the inferior UKDM cars, but in the case of the MKIV Toyota Supra people wanted the UKDM cars as they were higher spec/upgraded compared to the JDM cars.

I listed the RHD indicator stalks as a pro and a con as it's personal preference if people prefer them over the LHD stalks the UKDM ISFs come with.  And for those who are too young or not into cars enough to know what I'm talking about, the indicator stalk is supposed to be on the opposite side of the wheel to the gearstick, however modern UK cars use LHD stalks which puts them on the same side.  The reason for this is basically that US/EU manufacturers never bothered putting RHD stalks on their UK models, and the UK car industry for all intents and purposes died in the early nineties, which meant by the year 2000 it was only Japanese manufacturers bothering to put RHD stalks on UK cars, they had pretty much all quit by the mid 2000s and just used LHD stalks for their UK models the same as everyone else.

38 minutes ago, ubersonic said:

The difference with imports is the same as any other car produced in Japan really, both cars will have been produced in the same factory to the same standards but may have differences between the UKDM and JDM models, as such there's always pros and cons:

Pros (in general):

1: Less corrosion, the climate in Japan is much better for cars than the UK and so a JDM car will normally corrode at half the speed of a UKDM car of the same model/year.

2: Lower mileage, JDM cars will generally have done less miles than a UKDM car of the same age, as despite Japan being bigger than the UK it's mostly mountains so the actual areas you would want to go are usually close together (plus they have amazing public transport).

3: Insurance costs may be lower (varies by broker).

4: RHD indicator stalks.

Cons (in general):

1: Satnav and some buttons will be in Japanese.

2: Radar cruise was a (rare) option on JDM ISF's

3: Speedo was originally in KM, this is something that needs to be changed to make the car UK legal and the methods/quality of such work can be hit and miss.

4: Vehicle will be limited to 112MPH (usually ~120MPH on the clock) unless this has been removed.

5: Service history will be either missing or in Japanese.

6: Insurance costs may be higher (varies by broker).

7: RHD indicator stalks.

Value is a bit up in the air as it tends to vary by car and the verdict isn't in on the ISF yet.  In the case of the 4th/5th Gen Honda Prelude people used to pay a premium for the superior JDM versions over the inferior UKDM cars, but in the case of the MKIV Toyota Supra people wanted the UKDM cars as they were higher spec/upgraded compared to the JDM cars.

I listed the RHD indicator stalks as a pro and a con as it's personal preference if people prefer them over the LHD stalks the UKDM ISFs come with.  And for those who are too young or not into cars enough to know what I'm talking about, the indicator stalk is supposed to be on the opposite side of the wheel to the gearstick, however modern UK cars use LHD stalks which puts them on the same side.  The reason for this is basically that US/EU manufacturers never bothered putting RHD stalks on their UK models, and the UK car industry for all intents and purposes died in the early nineties, which meant by the year 2000 it was only Japanese manufacturers bothering to put RHD stalks on UK cars, they had pretty much all quit by the mid 2000s and just used LHD stalks for their UK models the same as everyone else.

Some really good points here. I owned a DC5 Integra a few years back and the indicator stalks made so much sense being on the right. Regarding insurance, I've always found it to be more expensive for imports but YMMV. 

Slightly off topic but a friend of mine had import 4th and 5th gen Preludes (I think it was a BB4 and a Type S from memory) and the 4th gen especially was a cracking car. 

1 hour ago, Fforfun said:

I haven't had a chance yet. Are you planning to look at it? 

Have been thinking about it, 2010 and 84k miles, price point is pretty good in the current market, I must admit I am leaning heavily towards an import aswell!

I don't blame you wanting to explore the import front, given the current selection of UK cars on the market. Please do let us know if you get a chance to look at the Newhaven car. 

19 hours ago, ubersonic said:

I listed the RHD indicator stalks as a pro and a con as it's personal preference if people prefer them over the LHD stalks the UKDM ISFs come with.  And for those who are too young or not into cars enough to know what I'm talking about, the indicator stalk is supposed to be on the opposite side of the wheel to the gearstick, however modern UK cars use LHD stalks which puts them on the same side.

Sounds like a fair roundup James, though the history being in Japanese is not the problem it once was, given smartphones etc.

The stalks are a funny one, as they will likely be the first thing you would want to remove from a JDM IS. The key factor to this being the rear foglights, unless you want to install a separate foglight switch, it can be done easily with a set of European stalks (thanks to a member on here for clarifying). Change the rear inner lights to UK version, all the wiring SHOULD now be in place. Swap in the UK/Euro stalks, swap the sides which the harness plugs into the stalks and you should be done, completely OEM rear foglight setup, YMMV.

I think the 2009 cars but am certain the 2010 cars (black centre console rather than grey) all have buttons in english, this HU will also let you choose to display everything in english and even changes the ETC warning to english, which the earlier version didn't. The factory satnav is not the best anyway, so I wouldn't bother too much about it. 

Mine has radar cruise, I didn't think it was that rare an option but I could be wrong.  

My personal opinion, on most JDM vs UK car arguments is that its generally more of an emotional response than one based on fact, and looking down at imports seems to be a particularly "UK" thing among SOME car enthusiasts. Once the car gets old enough, people start to care less about where they were purchased originally and more about the condition in front of them. I am NOT comparing a 34 GTR to an ISF, however the JDM R34 GTR was once valued well below a UK car and seen to be not as desirable. I am biased but most of it is nonsense in my opinion, a rough car is rough no matter where its from and a clean car much the same. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, yes 12 cars on AT but mostly imports and project cars just after a clean genuine example. Hopefully soon one will come along or might have to look at something else and that would be dissapointing...

• Like 2

My search is finally over! Managed to pick myself up an 08 mesa for a good price, wasn’t listed anywhere but I posted on the isf Facebook forum and he messaged me! Couldn’t be happier😅

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I think that red one is the one I sold in 2015; the 1st registration date is the same and the mileage checks out against the GOV.UK MOT checker. See BK10 NYX

Oddly the MOT checker says it is an IS 250.

It looks like one or more of the 4 owners since me were quite  casual about looking after their tyres

20 hours ago, Donolly19 said:

My search is finally over! Managed to pick myself up an 08 mesa for a good price, wasn’t listed anywhere but I posted on the isf Facebook forum and he messaged me! Couldn’t be happier😅

Congratulations on the purchase! Hope to see some pictures of it on here soon.

Which Facebook forum was it, out of interest? 

13 hours ago, MNMJ said:

I think that red one is the one I sold in 2015; the 1st registration date is the same and the mileage checks out against the GOV.UK MOT checker. See BK10 NYX

Oddly the MOT checker says it is an IS 250.

It looks like one or more of the 4 owners since me were quite  casual about looking after their tyres

I've been considering taking a look at this one. I wonder if the blowing exhaust was the original or the slightly ridiculous looking aftermarket version we see in the pictures. 

5 hours ago, Fforfun said:

Congratulations on the purchase! Hope to see some pictures of it on here soon.

Which Facebook forum was it, out of interest? 

Lexus is f owners on Facebook mate, mainly US people (like everything to do with f cars😫) but believe a decent amount of uk owners!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Fforfun said:

I've been considering taking a look at this one. I wonder if the blowing exhaust was the original or the slightly ridiculous looking aftermarket version we see in the pictures. 

Im curious as to what exhaust it has exactly🤦‍♂️ 

7 hours ago, 4969_LXS said:

Judging by the exhaust tips, it's a Hayward & Scott exhaust system

Thanks for the insight. Does the H&S system always jut that far out from the rear bumper, or is that poor fitment? 

3 hours ago, Fforfun said:

Thanks for the insight. Does the H&S system always jut that far out from the rear bumper, or is that poor fitment? 

Mine was quite far out as well. Have since changed itIMG_2618.thumb.jpeg.fc5fb763391e9ba5755d3ff4830caa0e.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cactus said:

Mine was quite far out as well. Have since changed itIMG_2618.thumb.jpeg.fc5fb763391e9ba5755d3ff4830caa0e.jpeg

Thanks for this and that's a great looking car. How did you find the H&S? Any drone? What did you swap it for? 

On 7/2/2023 at 12:26 PM, Fforfun said:

Thanks for this and that's a great looking car. How did you find the H&S? Any drone? What did you swap it for? 

@Fforfun thank you. H&S is good for its price. Drones around 2k rpm. Didnt swap the exhaust, just the tips. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links