Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New tyres

4 minutes ago, DBIZO said:

That's all fine, but we were talking UK originally. Summers clearly fit your climate. Last winter in the UK, as you must have seen it in the news, hundreds of cars ended up in the ditch and stuck on roads because of accidents. Summer tyres  were clearly a major factor, the other one of course is incompetence, as always.

You are talking UK. I talk of conditions everywhere.

Tyres are not made in order to fit UK only.

18 minutes ago, DBIZO said:

Your other assertion that people will just need to learn how to drive on summers in cold conditions for those few days and you use a corner case (black ice) to justify it is just the empty inanity

All your point are kind of irrelevant, because it seems you speaking with yourself... or you just can't read.

At what point did I say people have to learn to drive on summer tyres in cold?! This is ridiculous idea and it wasn't me who said it... it was you... 

11 hours ago, Linas.P said:

there are no tyres that works in those conditions. Studded ones are bad in puddles and on dry surface studs just falls out, non-studded winter tyres still struggles with black ice, the all-seasons are useless, summer tyres are obviously illegal.. the chains don't work either. So you just have to learn to drive in those conditions. And then you come to UK where it is basically a single season all year long and people are complaining about winter conditions 👍 

...learn to drive on WINTER tyres in those conditions. My point was about overall skill of driving on slippery roads that majority of Brits do not have because there is no environment here to learn it. point being - if you don't have skill to drive on slippery roads, then it does not matter what tyres you have... and as I said previously, having all seasons may just work out worse for inexperienced driver, because they will mask the road condition until it is too late. Not tyres fault, just reality in UK.

Black ice is not "edge case", this is basically the only reason to have anything but summer tyres ever (well... and deep snow)... and in UK black ice is the main winter condition and most dangerous one in the country where people do not have proper winter tyres. Because patches of ice may appear right around 0C, especially on the bridges and UK is particularly bad, because it is particularly humid/wet. By the time temperatures gets to -10C or -20C black ice is not an issue anymore, because weather has to be very dry for such temperature to occur. So black ice is not edge case at all. 

31 minutes ago, Las Palmas said:

RWD cars are good for less than 5% of drivers, so no reason for tyre testers to look hard into such cars.

Golf is a very common car so good reason to try on such a car.

Ohhh... yes I get why he is doing it, the other reason as well is that RWD cars usually have staggered set-ups and that alters the balance of the car, so he tries to get the cars with square set-up. So I totally get why it is done that way.

What I am saying - some of tyre characteristics, understeer, oversteer, communication, cornering speed etc. are not the same in FWD Golf as they are in RWD Lexus, so it is inevitable to filter trough what he concludes and sometimes it is hard to take review at face value, because it is clear the tyres won't behave as in the test. 

7 hours ago, Bob99 said:

Thanks for all the replies, I have been running Goodyear asymmetric 3’s and later 5’s, and have been really happy with them both in performance and longevity. Didn’t get any cracking on the rears like there is on the front. When I went for my quote for refurbishing my wheels I mentioned I would be changing tyres at the same time and the guy said don’t buy Goodyear as they always crack before they are worn out. Then he looked at mine and said Michelin were better.  So getting quotes for a set of pilot 5

Its really just a load of opinions and hearsay . Michelins are a lot more expensive so its no surprise they get recommended by tyre fitters. They usually have higher margins on them. Some will outright recommend Continental and others will recommend some chinese brands. Its like going to a restaurant and asking for the "best" dish.

Ive been running Goodyears for the past 7 years with no cracking issues yet the first set of michelin CC2s I have used have cracks on them in 2 years

• Like 3

The guy I talked to about my wheels only fits them he doesn’t supply any any tyres and as he will see plenty of tyres passing through his workshop his opinion was appreciated. Saying that there isn’t much to choose among the premium brands.

On 6/16/2023 at 3:41 PM, rayaans said:

Its really just a load of opinions and hearsay . Michelins are a lot more expensive so its no surprise they get recommended by tyre fitters. They usually have higher margins on them. Some will outright recommend continental and others will recommend some chinese brands. Its like going to a restaurant and asking for the "best" dish.

Ive been running Goodyears for the past 7 years with no cracking issues yet the first set of michelin CC2s I have used have cracks on them in 2 years

Cross climates are a compromise usually where you get only half-good of each type really... Michelins for me have been far more durable than any other brands, including Continental eco contact which are also good.

On 6/16/2023 at 3:41 PM, rayaans said:

Its really just a load of opinions and hearsay . Michelins are a lot more expensive so its no surprise they get recommended by tyre fitters. They usually have higher margins on them. Some will outright recommend continental and others will recommend some chinese brands. Its like going to a restaurant and asking for the "best" dish.

A realistic and pragmatic summary that nobody with any sense can dispute. 👏

• Like 4

On 6/16/2023 at 3:45 PM, Bob99 said:

The guy I talked to about my wheels only fits them he doesn’t supply any any tyres and as he will see plenty of tyres passing through his workshop his opinion was appreciated. Saying that there isn’t much to choose among the premium brands.

All the more reason to take his opinion with a pinch of salt really. 

Besides - cracks in tyres are not inherently dangerous. It depends on what kind of cracks they are. Cracks in the sidewall would require immediate replacement but microcracks in the tread blocks/between are actually part of normal wear and tear and will be there in 9/10 tyres after 1-2 years. 

• Like 1

On 6/15/2023 at 3:46 PM, Linas.P said:

Secondly... they are really expensive. You can have a lot of excellent tyres for less money e.g. Michelin Pilot Sport 5, Continental Premium Contact 6, Goodyear Asymmetric 6 etc. 

I've switched to Premium Contact 6 a month ago (225 fronts, 255 rears) and I'm very disappointed with the noise - they seem to exhibit a humming of around 225hz until 70km/h or so. Fine when driving at higher speeds than that, but not for city driving. 

Had an inspection at the dealership, performed an alignment and nothing wrong was found with the car. Currently looking into other options even though the tires have only ~900kms driven. 

Asymmetric is on the list, though, as well as dunlop RT2 and, oddly enough, Debica presto UHP2. 

Isn't it a simpler question? If one is concerned about noise, just look for the ones with the least DB on the energy efficiency label... most of the quiet ones are about 69DB and only a couple of models go below like these ones at 68DB (bear in mind the decibel scale is not linear, which is to say the distance between 68 and 69 is not equivalent to the one between 70 and 71...  Screenshot2023-06-21at09_26_35.thumb.png.d459f735f20a5de6d5b40afdeed62600.png

9 hours ago, Mr_Groundhog said:

Isn't it a simpler question? If one is concerned about noise, just look for the ones with the least DB on the energy efficiency label... most of the quiet ones are about 69DB and only a couple of models go below like these ones at 68DB (bear in mind the decibel scale is not linear, which is to say the distance between 68 and 69 is not equivalent to the one between 70 and 71...  Screenshot2023-06-21at09_26_35.thumb.png.d459f735f20a5de6d5b40afdeed62600.png

He's more likely looking for R18's. 1-2 months ago I couldn't find set of Pirelli's in whole Europe. plently of front's but rear's - nowhere. meanwhile some tyre websites have offer of it, but when order - sorry, we can't get them.

On 6/21/2023 at 8:20 AM, bashedpotatoes said:

I've switched to Premium Contact 6 a month ago (225 fronts, 255 rears) and I'm very disappointed with the noise - they seem to exhibit a humming of around 225hz until 70km/h or so. Fine when driving at higher speeds than that, but not for city driving. 

Had an inspection at the dealership, performed an alignment and nothing wrong was found with the car. Currently looking into other options even though the tires have only ~900kms driven. 

Asymmetric is on the list, though, as well as dunlop RT2 and, oddly enough, Debica presto UHP2. 

I have the asymmetric 6 and am very happy with them. They are fairly quiet on my 18inch wheels and definitely much better than the crossclimates that were on there before. I only just got them in feb so cant really speak about how durable / long lasting they are but with regards to braking, handling etc they're good. 

• Like 1

On 6/21/2023 at 8:20 AM, bashedpotatoes said:

Yeah - you had odd issue there. But that is example of 1 out of 1, not saying you wrong, just that majority of owners do not have this issue.

Asymmetric 3 = RT2 = Debica Presto UHP 2 = Sava Intensa UHP 2 ... all 4 are more or less same tyre, made in same factories, by the same company - all subsidiaries of Goodyear. Obviously with Goodyears Asymmetric 6 (F1 Eagle no less!) you get the most current technology and design, the rest in the list are more obsolete and approximately equivalent to Asymmetric 3, which if my math is right will be 12 years old product now. I had both Dunlop RT and RT2 and loved both of them, but again by now they are obsolete tyres which are outclassed by anyone in premium or midrange, they are kind of sold at mid-range prices as well so not a bad deal. I think common complain for RT and RT2 is crabbing, but for me that is not an issue, I understand that is the design of the tyre and trade-off between some noise in basically stationary car and aquaplaning performance. 

14 hours ago, Linas.P said:

Yeah - you had odd issue there. But that is example of 1 out of 1, not saying you wrong, just that majority of owners do not have this issue.

I might have to retract my statement regarding the contis. Went back to the tyre shop and had a batch of presto UHP 2s fitted. Same noise, albeit a tad quieter. Starting to suspect the issue lies elsewhere. 

On 6/24/2023 at 6:17 PM, Digifant said:

I wrote somewhere here that I have the same noize issue with Turanza 6. After a month that noize dissapeared. 

What kind of mileage did you put on them before the noise subsided? I'm at around 1000km on the Contis and they're still loud as hell on some surfaces.

7 hours ago, bashedpotatoes said:

What kind of mileage did you put on them before the noise subsided? I'm at around 1000km on the Contis and they're still loud as hell on some surfaces.

About 500-1000km, don't remember exactly. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links