Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Mark Levinson stereo replacement.

Tomtit

The CD player and cassette player on my 2001 SC430 have stopped working. I have partly dismantled them but I can't see anything obviously wrong. The CD player had an error 3 message but I managed to get the stuck disc out. Since putting it all back together the CD player will not work at all. The cassette player tries to load a cassette but stops part way. The radio works, but I am now unable to store a station in the memory and the pixel display has almost disappeared. I accidentally damaged 2 terminals on the ribbon cable but I have replaced it with a longer cable. I could not find one the same length.

I don't know much about car audio. All I want is a radio and cd player. Are there any aftermarket products which will fit ? I have spent hours looking at forum search results but I am not much wiser. The existing part no. is 86120-24420 but there are no second hand ones in the UK. In any event, second hand would be a gamble. I would be happy to lose originality for a working system.

Thank you.

John.

I am in the dark ages as far as modern technology is concerned. I don't even have a smartphone. I would be happy with a basic radio / cd player.

Just now, Malc1 said:

why don't you ask the old fashioned ICE local repair/fixing guy to take a look and fix the existing ?

Malc

Right Malcolm,

I believe that in your area, Richard, you can find somebody competent to install a radio with CD player in the car without it looking as too out of style.

• 2 weeks later...

I have taken the stereo out of the car many times and I could now do it blindfolded. I kept looking for an obvious mechanical fault without success. I then watched a Youtube video where someone dismantled and repaired a Toyota cd changer. Following his example I applied 5 volts dc to the motor and it worked. It moved the trays up and down. I connected the car's wiring to the partly-dismantled cd changer and it responded to the buttons and loaded and ejected a disc. Another ribbon cable sorted out the display. I reassembled the cd changer and put it back in the car. Power on and everything worked, including the tape player. I can also store radio stations again. What a productive morning.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Well done Richard, I'm impressed!

My unit is not right currently, all of a sudden CD's do not play. I play CD's frequently and therefore miss this function greatly.

I could remove the unit but delving into it to locate and repair a fault is, I feel, outside my comfort zone.

Would you consider helping other members who are having problems as many, like me would truly appreciate it, and also be happy to show our appreciation!

Anthony

• Like 1

Neil.

I have become an expert at taking the unit out of the car, but that is about all. I have very little knowledge of car audio. I think I just got lucky.

Anthony.

Does the unit load and eject discs normally ? I am always happy to pass on the benefit of my knowledge, even 'though it is very limited in relation to car audio.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Lexiguy said:

The CD player does not work, the radio and cassette are fine.

Anthony.

Are you able to load CDs ? Is there an error message on the display ? Mine would not load and it gave error 3.

Theres a long post here when a CD is jammed which may be useful.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc430-2nd-gen-2001-2010/572620-cd-changer-jammed-7.html

A more expensive option is to change the unit if that is the problem and not something like a wiring/fuse issue. Paul Frost has a used on on eBay currently.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links