Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hard plastic on door - scratches

I'd say that pretty much all of my cars over the years have used a hard plastic for the lower part of the insides of the door but the number of scratches on my three month old NX is making me wonder if this plastic is the cheapest of the lot.

I decided over the weekend  that the growing number of marks on the inside of the driver's door required a cleaning but was surprised to find that many of them were scratches and not the sort of marks that I've always  been able to rub out on my previous cars. Various attempts with various Auto Glym products have failed to remove the scratches.

Anyone else noticed the same and, if so, any recommendations as how to fix?

3 hours ago, BonzoSPB said:

I'd say that pretty much all of my cars over the years have used a hard plastic for the lower part of the insides of the door but the number of scratches on my three month old NX is making me wonder if this plastic is the cheapest of the lot.

I decided over the weekend  that the growing number of marks on the inside of the driver's door required a cleaning but was surprised to find that many of them were scratches and not the sort of marks that I've always  been able to rub out on my previous cars. Various attempts with various Auto Glym products have failed to remove the scratches.

Anyone else noticed the same and, if so, any recommendations as how to fix?

Its sensitive

The only way to sort it is a trim repair 

i have this on the dashboard above the glovebox - its my son getting in and out with his schoolbag rubbing on it - was never a problem in my Audi A5 but very noticeable in the NX. He now puts it one the back seat

I have scratched my dash whilst cleaning it with a microfibre cloth, totally bizarre how poor quality the dash material is in a £40k car. Need to contact service dept to see if there is a repair for it.

I have noticed this as well, wiped the dashboard over to remove dust etc with a damp microfibre cloth and three scratches appeared ,used some aerospace 303 protectant and they had disappeared.quality not as good as my old nx 300h.

I've found Meguiar's Black Plastic Restorer to be very good at hiding those annoying marks. Works will on the black wheel-arch trim and bumpers too.

Wipe it on and leave it to dry (a few seconds). Don't over rub/polish or it can look patchy.

It can't fill-in deep scratches but sometimes I fill those with a Sharpie them rub over with the restorer before the final wipe.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Meguiars-G15812EU-Ultimate-Plastic-Restorer/dp/B0044090GC/ref=asc_df_B0044090GC/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310513207083&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=5112178398864442049&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9046185&hvtargid=pla-451446778028&psc=1&th=1&psc=1

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 2 months later...
On 6/26/2023 at 3:36 PM, 78csj said:

I have scratched my dash whilst cleaning it with a microfibre cloth, totally bizarre how poor quality the dash material is in a £40k car. Need to contact service dept to see if there is a repair for it.

Did you manage to find a solution for this? I ask because my wife has marked the dash with a bag when getting into the car.

3 hours ago, 78csj said:

I used the 303 aerospace protectant, it took two applications because I wasn’t too sure about it causing more scratches, but it certainly worked for me.

I’m pleased to hear this as I’m due a delivery of 303 today after reading about it! Hopefully gets rid of mine of the dash 👍 

I had the same issue with my UX. After three and a half years, despite careful ownership, it had picked up a few light scratches on the plastic above the interior door handles. I was surprised that they wouldn’t come out either. I was able to 'lessen' their appearance with some Aerospace 303 but it's not really something I like to use unless absolutely necessary. I also noticed a light scratch on the glovebox lid which appeared about six months into ownership and I never did find out where that originated from. It's certainly something I’m going to be more wary of in the NX.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links