Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Replacing O rings on A/C system

Just been quoted £320 to replace o rings on the a/c unit by main dealer... thoughts? £21 parts and the rest is labour... should I just go to local garage?

11 minutes ago, Jose DS said:

Just been quoted £320 to replace o rings on the a/c unit by main dealer... thoughts? £21 parts and the rest is labour... should I just go to local garage?

If you choose to go to a local (non Lexus) garage note that when refilling the air con system that only Toyota ND-11 or equivalent compressor oil should be used as the IS 300h has an electric air conditioning compressor. The usual air con PAG oil will cause the compressor to eventually short out and it's VERY expensive to fix as many of the air con components also have to be replaced. 

• Like 4

I’ve taken the plunge… their technician now says it’s still got a leak (after replacing the O rings), it’s a switch that needs replacing now. 

Part cost is around £300 and another hours labour on top of that…

Mind you, they’ve said none of this is covered under warranty…

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Jose DS said:

I’ve taken the plunge… their technician now says it’s still got a leak (after replacing the O rings), it’s a switch that needs replacing now. 

What's your mileage? If it's less that 100k miles and been serviced by Lexus within the last 12 months and 10k miles then should be covered under the Relax extended warranty?

11 minutes ago, Jose DS said:

Is it lexus official that you finally went with? I thought doing a leak test with a uv dye would be their first port of call vs deciding to replace o rings. Why did they change the o rings? 

• Like 1

@wharfhouse 76k miles, full Lexus servicing. They said those parts aren’t covered under the relax warranty.

@Notamech Yeah, went with Lexus for the work. I didn’t ask what investigations they carried out, they said that the O rings needed replacing as the leak was coming from there then said they’d re-gassed the system but it wasn’t holding charge so it’d be the switch (whatever that is, they said it was  something to do with the pressure) that needs replacing too… they’re having to order the part and so keeping the car likely until early next week - no courtesy car available. They said they could let me take the car until the part arrives but can’t guarantee they’ll have the space to do the work if I did until the following week.

1 minute ago, Jose DS said:

@wharfhouse 76k miles, full Lexus servicing. They said those parts aren’t covered under the relax warranty.

I'd be looking at the T&Cs for the Relax warranty - if it was something like a holed condenser due to a stone then I could understand but from what you have said it sounds like something that should be covered by Relax - maybe confirm with Customer Relations at Lexus HQ? 

Looks like they might be right some things in the ac system dont seem covered. But id still recommend you pushing them to do it free or discount it as a goodwill gesture. 

Screenshot_20230707_001050_OneDrive.jpg

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, Notamech said:

Looks like they might be right some things in the ac system dont seem covered. But id still recommend you pushing them to do it free or discount it as a goodwill gesture. 

Screenshot_20230707_001050_OneDrive.jpg

So pay £500 for an oil service where the oil doesn't even get changed just topped up, and a warranty that doesn't even cover HVAC.....Seriously why are people using main dealers??

1 hour ago, ganzoom said:

where the oil doesn't even get changed just topped up

You know perfectly well that the oil is changed, not just topped up. Stop trying to be argumentative based on someone posting a misinterpretation.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ganzoom said:

So pay £500 for an oil service where the oil doesn't even get changed just topped up, and a warranty that doesn't even cover HVAC.....Seriously why are people using main dealers??

And for years I was under the misapprehension that the Last Man To Know Everything was Thomas Young, how misguided can an individual be I wonder? 😎

2 minutes ago, Mr_Groundhog said:

If it really was topping up only they would do nothing on mine. I check oil level every now and then and it hasnt dropped. This engine does not seem to drink oil much

Really should get around to checking my oil level more often - the car is just so reliable though - I simply take it back to Lexus every 10k miles and let them service it - I don't bother getting hands on any more with cars - only ever open the bonnet in between services to fill up the screen washer bottle when the light on the dash tells me to. Now at 134k miles and I've had it since it was 2 years old with 40k miles on it, and I've never checked the oil level in all that time... 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, wharfhouse said:

Really should get around to checking my oil level more often - the car is just so reliable though - I simply take it back to Lexus every 10k miles and let them service it - I don't bother getting hands on any more with cars - only ever open the bonnet in between services to fill up the screen washer bottle when the light on the dash tells me to. Now at 134k miles and I've had it since it was 2 years old with 40k miles on it, and I've never checked the oil level in all that time... 🤣🤣🤣

Don't mind me Wharfhouse, I'm the type of person that thoroughly cleans the engine bay for fun....

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ganzoom said:

I agree that they should be covering all "problems" rather than specifically listed parts. But i guess thats the industry standard. If you went and bought 3rd party warranty it would cost at least 2 - 3 times more than the difference between servicing it an at indie vs Lexus. Also if you want to have your hybrid Battery warranty for 15 years then you'd anyway need to spend another 50 on a hybrid check. All things considered its worth it. 

As far as the oil goes they 100% change it. Mine was light brown when it went in and was nearly colourless when it came back. Plus i have all the receipts from the previous owner and oil + filter + sump crush washer with their respective part nos features on every service receipt even the minor services. 

3 hours ago, Mr_Groundhog said:

Don't mind me Wharfhouse, I'm the type of person that thoroughly cleans the engine bay for fun....

I seen your previous post on this. I think you did an outstanding job. I tried doing something similar on mine but a lot of it is too far gone due to corrosion e.g the top of the inverter hoseclips etc. Cant be bothered to scrub it all down so i just clean it with soap and water sprayed all the rust with fertan and applied plastic / dashboard polish where I can so that it looks neat.

• Like 1

Hi all - as an update:

I called up Lexus HQ who checked their process - they'd carried out everything according to spec so no faults there.
I've collected our car this morning but noticed 3 things;

1. Car was not washed despite promise that they would (it's their policy to wash all cars that come through the dealership for any works);
2. They ripped a window shade that was placed in the rear passenger window, the other was bent out of shape; and
3. They (for whatever reason) made a right state of the items in the boot and left my windscreen wiper fluid (5L container) open and without trace of the lid?!) - had I driven away without checking, that would've tipped over and created a right mess, not to mention ruin all the other items in the boot and quite dangerously - right above the hybrid Battery pack?!

I raised all 3 points with the staff, their response to the above (in order) are;

1. They claim they did wash it - they did not, same bird poop on the roof of the car as when I left it with them and brake dust build up on the rims, same as when I left it with them.

2. They claim they have no reason to remove these - neither do I, they were both fine when I left the car with them and both attached to the windows properly.

3. They again say they have no reason to go into the boot - they claim I must have left it like that when I brought the car to them - there is no way I'd risk damaging the car like this, I also use the boot daily so would've instantly noticed that he lid wasn't on. Furthermore, I have OCD so would've checked the lid is on, tightly, several times before I'd close the boot whenever I use it.

Currently having Lexus HQ follow up and contact the dealership manager - apparently there is no manager available until next week. Makes me wonder if that's why the standards have dropped, there's no one to check up on them...

So far, they have offered to compensate me for the window shades and played down the windscreen wiper fluid - I've told them I need it investigated properly as it could've done quite a bit of damage to to the car and contents. Will keep anyone interested posted.

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, Jose DS said:

Hi all - as an update:

I called up Lexus HQ who checked their process - they'd carried out everything according to spec so no faults there.
I've collected our car this morning but noticed 3 things;

1. Car was not washed despite promise that they would (it's their policy to wash all cars that come through the dealership for any works);
2. They ripped a window shade that was placed in the rear passenger window, the other was bent out of shape; and
3. They (for whatever reason) made a right state of the items in the boot and left my windscreen wiper fluid (5L container) open and without trace of the lid?!) - had I driven away without checking, that would've tipped over and created a right mess, not to mention ruin all the other items in the boot and quite dangerously - right above the hybrid battery pack?!

I raised all 3 points with the staff, their response to the above (in order) are;

1. They claim they did wash it - they did not, same bird poop on the roof of the car as when I left it with them and brake dust build up on the rims, same as when I left it with them.

2. They claim they have no reason to remove these - neither do I, they were both fine when I left the car with them and both attached to the windows properly.

3. They again say they have no reason to go into the boot - they claim I must have left it like that when I brought the car to them - there is no way I'd risk damaging the car like this, I also use the boot daily so would've instantly noticed that he lid wasn't on. Furthermore, I have OCD so would've checked the lid is on, tightly, several times before I'd close the boot whenever I use it.

Currently having Lexus HQ follow up and contact the dealership manager - apparently there is no manager available until next week. Makes me wonder if that's why the standards have dropped, there's no one to check up on them...

So far, they have offered to compensate me for the window shades and played down the windscreen wiper fluid - I've told them I need it investigated properly as it could've done quite a bit of damage to to the car and contents. Will keep anyone interested posted.

Is the air con fixed now then? Sounds like rather shoddy service by the dealer - no need for that regardless of whether they did or didn't do a sound job on the repair. I see you're in London - there aren't many Lexus dealers - are you prepared to name the dealer yet? 

Thanks both, don't want to put my foot in it re forum rules with naming and shaming. Others have had pleasant experiences with this branch of the group and they did fix the A/C (I've only tested it on the drive back from the dealer so far) and provided a slight discount after my awe at the original quote.

Will provide an update early next week re their investigation into why they'd be going into the boot and opening up the windscreen fluid... then leaving it open and throwing away the lid... Even now it still sounds like a complete set up (the only reason would've been for me getting Lexus HQ involved to ensure

1. The parts weren't covered under warranty; and
  2. that they'd followed proper procedure re identifying the fault).

Needless to say, think I'll will be looking at rated /reputable garages nearby for any future works.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Finally getting around to providing an update.

1. They reimbursed me for the damaged window shades (I provided a receipt for the replacement); and

2. They said they could not prove either way who accessed the boot and why they would've opened (and left opened) the windscreen washer fluid. They said we'd reached an impasse and there's nothing else they can do as no one in the workshop would have a reason to open the boot.

I had correspondence with Lexus HQ throughout (who where very nice) and so left feedback in the satisfaction survey.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links