Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Possible RC300h F Sport owner

Hi All , Good Evening . 

possible more like probable Lexus RC owner here as have been left very impressed with the car since test driving one . 

I was actually going to purchase a BMW 420d msport convertible when a gorgeous car caught my eye at the dealers lot . 
I’d never seen one previously & wasn’t on my car list to buy as was either going to buy the said BMW or the Merc c220d Cab amg line or a Audi A5 convertible S-Line . 

Having test drove the Audi my2017 which I discounted due to its looks and interior being dated to my eyes . First impression peering inside was Yuk ... sorry A5 fans lol

I then moved onto the Mercedes which I found pretty good looking & the interior was a lovely place to be & also drove reasonably well ... but the screen stuck to the dash like if it was an after thought really let the side down & I found it tacky also the rear proportion of the car looked odd in my eyes . 
At the dealer lot I noticed a Mercedes E220 amg line with the virtual cockpit which in my eyes was fabulous but no pan roof halted my interest in it , as I love at least a sunroof in my cars if not a hood . 

So after seeing a BMW advertised on auto trader I took a day off work to go take a look 120 miles away and if all boxes ticked I would drive it home , the car was gorgeous, hard top , red leather , fully loaded with all spec boxes ticked by the original owner . The deal was actually done on the phone and a price was agreed if the car was as advertised on my viewing , which it was .

Until I noticed a sparkling blue gorgeous looking car parked at the dealers lot which turned out to be a Lexus RC 300h F sport did I mention it was pretty lol . 
The body styling , the interior woow it is gorgeous but I’ve never had a hybrid & those pesky Toyota Prius’s crawling around holding up traffic had become a pet hate of mine .Bloody prius drivers became my slogan driving around in town & city . 
I know sorry . 

I had to have the Lexus , the performance doesn’t bother me as my other car is a Nissan GT-R & I was actually looking for a sensible convertible for my daily drive so not bothered as I wanted comfort over performance but with Good looks and a nice place to be in . 

Im going to pick it up tomorrow , it has full Lexus service history & has passed its hybrid health check though it was several months ago . The car drives fine and I think the hybrid batteries working as it should be but as I’m new to hybrids I hope this is the case and no hidden horror stories will unfold . Mileage is on the higher side so it’s out of warranty being a 2016 model but being built by Toyota must have something going for it . I would never consider a higher mileage German car but having researched what I could off the net , it seems Lexus carries its miles well . 
Any advice hints or tips are welcome and thank you for reading .

I forgot to mention what a great forum this is and this time tomorrow I’ll be the owner of a Lexus 

I can’t wait . 

cheers . 

• Like 1

I’m now on my 5th Lexus in 11 years. I’ve owned a CT, IS, RC, GS and now an RX. All have been faultless and 100% reliable. Of course you can’t be certain but I’d expect several years worth of hassle free driving.

Enjoy!

• Thanks 1

It seems like you have already decided... 🙂

One of my concerns would be the performance, but you said you have already tried it and you feel it is adequate to you, so apparently not a concern. Second issue would be standard audio (which can be recognised by rotary dial instead of mouse pad) - that audio system is outright trash and doesn't belong in any car, nevermind Lexus, upgrading it would be very difficult so I would avoid any car unless it has at least what is called "premium" audio. Apart of that I don't know any other issues related to Lexus RCs - in all other aspects they are great cars. 

There are few interior bits which are quite cheap and plasticky, but again they will be better compared to BMW and probably even better or at least on par with similar year MB C-Coupe. Overall, I think the driving comfort and build is closer to E-Coupe, expect no option of convertible nor panoramic roof. 

As for reliability, none of the issues have cropped-up in the forum apart of standard wear and tear, hybrid Battery does not have any issues either, especially if it has hybrid check passed that shouldn't be an issue. I personally had driver seat motor failing and that would have been costly if not for warranty, but that 1 out of 1 example, so I can't say it is common.

What mileage it is? Because I can't remember any Blue RC300h with over 100k miles recently being listed. There was one with 137k miles from dodgy dealer in Birmingham with fake ML stickers, but that one didn't have sunroof. So just to note here - Lexus now gives 10years/100k miles warranty if serviced by them.

In this aspect I would say - if anything going to brake out of warranty it will be costly on Lexus, so if it is over 100k miles I would make sure I negotiate extra discount from a dealer on this basis alone.

• Thanks 1

Hi , thanks for the reply 

yes the car has 108,000 miles showing in the clock and is being purchased from just outside of London I think may come under Kent as I’m a midlander & not too familiar with the area . 
the car comes with the mouse pad thankfully as I enjoy my music & was none the wiser regarding the stereo you mention being horrible .

having searched this site for more info  I don’t think the car has the ML badge on the console facia , so I presume it has the pioneer ? 

Ive been told the car was taken in PX and hadn’t been advertised & they would be advertising for more than the price I agreed to . But salesmen do say anything to broker a sale . Lol 

ill be leaving work this afternoon to collect the car & I'm 100% certain I’ll be along later to ask questions as it’s my first hybrid . 

cheers 

8 minutes ago, bobwoolmer said:

Hi , thanks for the reply 

yes the car has 108,000 miles showing in the clock and is being purchased from just outside of London I think may come under Kent as I’m a midlander & not too familiar with the area . 
the car comes with the mouse pad thankfully as I enjoy my music & was none the wiser regarding the stereo you mention being horrible .

having searched this site for more info  I don’t think the car has the ML badge on the console facia , so I presume it has the pioneer ? 

Ive been told the car was taken in PX and hadn’t been advertised & they would be advertising for more than the price I agreed to . But salesmen do say anything to broker a sale . Lol 

ill be leaving work this afternoon to collect the car & I'm 100% certain I’ll be along later to ask questions as it’s my first hybrid . 

I think I know the car - it was offered by private owner for a while and first was listed at ~92,000 miles last year, later 96,000 and then disappeared ~3 months ago just after getting relisted with 104,000. Price was as well all over the place - first listed at £15,500, then going-up to £16,999, before coming back down to £15,999. I would expect it to be at least £2,000 more from trader. I just have e-mail reminders for every RC listed from autotrader since the days I was looking to get one myself. 

Yes, as long as it is not "Standard" system it will be good - I don't remember exactly who made which one of the systems (it may be Prioneer indeed), but if it has mouse pad, but no ML badges it will be what is called Lexus "Premium" audio. It is very decent system with 10 speakers and 90% there compared to ML. So that is definitely on the positive side. I had ML in my car and it was great, but to be fair at normal listening sound there is little in between the systems, ML only shines at higher volumes and when driven from good quality source.

You are most welcome to ask, but to be fair the car is really straight forward, there is not much weird about it (being hybrid). I guess CVT works slightly different from normal auto, but I quite liked it even with fake ratios on paddle shift, many people hate them and I understand why, but if you get used to it I would say it is almost highlight of the car. 

I would say you need to learn to drive it differently, in more relaxed way and then it is quite rewarding, quiet and comfortable, it just does not like being pushed to the limit. If you drive it like big GT barge it is - then it is great, but if you start driving it like sports car it looks then it starts whinging, CVT starts droning, engine starts rattling, front starts understeering etc. After a while it is really relaxing to drive, whereas normally I trying to get to the next light first, change the lanes to move quicker... in hybrid I just stay in my lane and stop carrying about the world around me, in that sense I guess it is good car for commuting, as the horrible driving and roads in UK would drive me mad everyday in normal car, but in hybrid I would come to my destination relaxed even if it is 15 minutes later. 

• Like 3

Well that's quite a contrast..RC/GTR.

A real beauty and the beast.You will find the RC a very relaxing car to drive-it's quiet,smooth ,economical and comfortable.Performance wise it is adequate.You may find it could change your driving style.

Compared to the BMW conv. It is a much superior car(I had a 330d conv hire car whilst my RC was in for crash repair last year.It had a great,fast engine,but rattly and cheap interior).The GTR as you will know is phenomenally fast and brutal.Its acceleration in launch control is literally breathtaking,but parts of the drivetrain are pretty agricultural.Not for everyday driving but a real bargain for out and out performance.

Good luck with the RC.

• Like 1

As well forgotten to warn you - this is the only car in which random people on the road would stop me to compliment about it's looks. I am not sure if it has faded away by now, but that certainly was the case ~2016 when it launched. And it looks completely at home parked in front of the hotel next to AMG GT and Porsche GT3, nobody even has a clue the difference in 0-60 acceleration between the cars is longer than it takes the other 2 to get to that speed. 

• Like 1

Hi 

i collected the car yesterday and what a joy it is , totally different to anything I’ve driven previously but I like it & am glad I didn’t purchase any of the German marques .

so quiet so serene so smooth so calm & a lovely place to be , did I say gorgeous interior lol . 

I haven’t checked out the sport or sport+ settings as of yet apart from a little test to check it works but fantastic economy so far I think , steady 65-70 mph drive back for 120 miles returned 56 mpg or so it says on the gauge . 
Truth be told I was getting tired with driving and started to dread long journeys but this Lexus may have made me fall back in love with driving , early days but I’m enjoying it so far . 
Having driven diesels as a daily for many years I only regret not discovering this car earlier . 

Thanks for all the help & advice I just can’t wait to finish work so I can have a play with the settings . 

cheers . 

• Like 2

Just now, bobwoolmer said:

Hi 

i collected the car yesterday and what a joy it is , totally different to anything I’ve driven previously but I like it & am glad I didn’t purchase any of the German marques .

so quiet so serene so smooth so calm & a lovely place to be , did I say gorgeous interior lol . 

I haven’t checked out the sport or sport+ settings as of yet apart from a little test to check it works but fantastic economy so far I think , steady 65-70 mph drive back for 120 miles returned 56 mpg or so it says on the gauge . 
Truth be told I was getting tired with driving and started to dread long journeys but this Lexus may have made me fall back in love with driving , early days but I’m enjoying it so far . 
Having driven diesels as a daily for many years I only regret not discovering this car earlier . 

Thanks for all the help & advice I just can’t wait to finish work so I can have a play with the settings . 

cheers . 

Where are the pictures so we can all appreciate the beauty? 🙂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bobwoolmer said:

I haven’t checked out the sport or sport+ settings as of yet

Well I guess this is where it is important to manage the expectations, because there is nothing to really be discovered, for me personally that was an issue as I wanted the sports car, but it isn't an issue if you want GT. But don't expect that there is magic button which transforms the car from one to another. It is quiet and comfortable car, lovely to cruise in and that is it. You can turn other modes of driving to take some of the benefits out, make it less smooth and less comfortable, as at least in pre-FL you can't individually set modes for suspension and engine, so Sport+ automatically sets suspension to hardest mode and on our broken roads that is not fun. As well as I already mentioned - the Lexus hybrid loves the being driven slowly and smoothly, then you get pleasant and relaxing experience... but if you try to launch it hard and drive it hard, then it just feels broken, the transition between hybrid and ICE becomes hard, engine rattles (it is 4-pot in the end), the CVT starts feeling like mush and rubbery and it is just not pleasant. 

What I am saying - on RC300h the other driving modes are kind of gimmick, they cannot add anything to the experience and they just takes away from the benefits of the car. It would make sense if instead of Sport and Sport+, Lexus had something like Comfort and Comfort+. The only issue - the suspension can't be dialled any softer and for RC I think the softest Normal/Eco and on 19" wheels with super thin tyres is already as hard suspension as is acceptable on horrible british roads. Sport and Sport+ just makes it even harder and therefore I really can't see the advantage of adaptive suspension (well adaptive suspension is good, just not the harder settings). So as it stand for the engine the modes are basically Unresponsive/Quiet/Too keen/Rattle+, for gearbox it is Lazy/Smooth/Lumpy/Harsh+ and for suspension it is Hard/Hard/Harder/Hardest+.

In summary:

• Forget "Eco" mode, it is waste of time, makes gearbox lazy and unresponsive and actually uses more fuel, because anytime you need to get moving there is too much delay and then you basically press accelerator too much not knowing if it will ever accelerate or not, then car lurches forward and you need to start braking again.
  • The "Normal" mode is probably where I would keep the car all the time, that is most economical and most smooth, and suspension is still in it's softest hard setting.
  • The "Sport" mode is where I would like to have the engine set for little bit more response, but because they can't be adjusted individually before FL (2019) you get downsides of gearbox not knowing what to do with it, just randomly keeping high revs for no reason and you get harder setting for suspension which is not great, Sport is usable if you have very smooth, quiet and twisty A/B-road, something that you would get maybe in Spain or France, but rare in UK (now they even have speed traps on NC500 - what a waste!). As I mentioned car does not like to be pushed, so you can carry the speed smoothly in the slight bends, then smoothly accelerate out and that is probably where you can use Sport mode. But you better make sure the tarmac is smooth as glass.
  • The "Sport+" is just fundamentally opposite to the character of the car and totally pointless. You instantly feel all imperfections of which we have plenty on our roads, but it doesn't really make car handle sharper or anything, perhaps it keeps it more level in the corner, but that is about it, RC is not really the car you will be doing a lot of Gs for that to matter. The engine just revs out to 4000rpm and stays there for no reason, even when you let-off, so it sound rather horrible and that is where you discover CVT drone. As well if you driving slowly it just becomes harsh, it seems like hybrid system disappears altogether and the engine transitions between CVT ratios about as smooth as teenager dumping the clutch at 3000rpm on every gear. I guess the only other benefit of Sport+ is that it will keep the ratios you selected on paddles ~somewhat, so it almost feels like DTC gearbox for a few seconds as ratios changes nearly instantaneous, but then randomly after some time it just back to auto. Anyhow - for the car like RC300h I just can't see where it would be useful in normal day driving. Perhaps if you have best twisty road closed for your personally and you can go across both sides of it to straighten the bends, and you can always stay pretty much "pedal to the metal" all the time then sure.

That is part of the learning to live with RC300h - it is not sports car and should be driven like limousine, at that is fairly good... imagine you have Queen in the back (well... or I guess King now) and you just chauffeuring her around. Great car at that, but for throwing into corners not so much. 

• Thanks 1

Thank you Linas P . 

I didn’t buy the car to thrash around like a sports car, I wanted a comfortable cruiser with good seats and a nice place to be & think the Lexus has ticked all boxes .

I’m a very fussy owner and am trying to pick faults with the Lexus but so far well happy . I have a GT-R which I’ve owned in various models/forms over many years also a bit of a Nissan skyline nut so use that for my performance fix . 

Quick question does the hybrid Battery deplete while sitting around at the dealers lot ? He said he just took it in part ex but we all know salesman talk . 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bobwoolmer said:

Quick question does the hybrid battery deplete while sitting around at the dealers lot ? He said he just took it in part ex but we all know salesman talk

It will slowly discharge over 6 months but it doesn't harm the Battery provided it doesn't go too low.

• Thanks 1

Yes - RC is really decent for it's price point and in comparison, definitely feels more special place to be in than say 4-series. And the seats are indeed probably one of most comfortable ones I had, drivers position as well very ergonomic.  I am just saying if you think Sport+ makes a difference then it doesn't, it just makes car objectively worse. Now clearly that is not an issue for you as you have other cars to fill that need. 

Hybrid Battery is tiny anyway, so I doubt you would feel the difference whenever it is low on power or not, your drive home should have well and fully recharged it. Whenever it loses charge - yes it will lose charge as any Battery over the time, in couple of weeks probably not, but in few months it would. Bigger issue is the starter Battery - it is relatively small for the car because it is hybrid and they are known to deplete quickly, being AGM type they are as well expensive to replace. So if your starter Battery wasn't dead on the dealer lot I would estimate it stood for less than 1 month. To maintain the starter Battery you just need to put the car in "ready-mode" once a week and it will recharge it from the hybrid Battery, if hybrid Battery get's low then car starts the engine to maintain it. Although that shouldn't be an issue with regular driving, but 4-6 weeks is about the limit.

• Thanks 1

Depending on your view about risk and how you plan to service the car, just to let you know that although the car is out of the Lexus 10 year/100k mile free warranty there is the option of what is called Lexus 10 Year Plus Extended Warranty (also for cars under 10 years old but over 100k miles - this isn't advertised but dealers should know about it though some aren't so clued up but a message to Lexus customer services can put them straight). This can be purchased annually until the car is 15 years old or 150k miles whichever come first. It's comprehensive and much better than 3rd party warranties (in essence same as Lexus offer for cars under 10 years old / 100k miles) and comes with Lexus Roadside Assistance (full UK for you and a spouse driving any car and European cover for the Lexus). Cost is about £500 per annum (of which £155 is the included but not optional roadside assistance). The car must be serviced by a Lexus dealer according to the schedule though for the extended warranty to be valid. If you have the car serviced by Lexus it also includes the hybrid healthcheck for free which warrants the hybrid Battery for a further one year / 10k miles whichever comes first (so until the next service is due) and this can continue each service until the car is 15 years old (with unlimited mileage). The hybrid health check can also be purchased without having a service for about £60. 

Enjoy the car - for a daily driver dealing with the usual commute, busy roads and also long distance travel, the hybrid package really shows its benefits making such journeys much more relaxing than they might otherwise be.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bobwoolmer said:

I didn’t buy the car to thrash around like a sports car, I wanted a comfortable cruiser with good seats and a nice place to be & think the Lexus has ticked all boxes

Well Bob,it looks like you have made the right choice.It hasn't taken you long to come to the same conclusion as me and probably most other RC owners.Yhe added benefit is you won't see many around.As for your near miss with the BMW, they're like ar5eholes-- everybody's got one.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Linas.P said:

Yes - RC is really decent for it's price point and in comparison, definitely feels more special place to be in than say 4-series. And the seats are indeed probably one of most comfortable ones I had, drivers position as well very ergonomic.  I am just saying if you think Sport+ makes a difference then it doesn't, it just makes car objectively worse. Now clearly that is not an issue for you as you have other cars to fill that need. 

Hybrid battery is tiny anyway, so I doubt you would feel the difference whenever it is low on power or not, your drive home should have well and fully recharged it. Whenever it loses charge - yes it will lose charge as any battery over the time, in couple of weeks probably not, but in few months it would. Bigger issue is the starter battery - it is relatively small for the car because it is hybrid and they are known to deplete quickly, being AGM type they are as well expensive to replace. So if your starter battery wasn't dead on the dealer lot I would estimate it stood for less than 1 month. To maintain the starter battery you just need to put the car in "ready-mode" once a week and it will recharge it from the hybrid battery, if hybrid battery get's low then car starts the engine to maintain it. Although that shouldn't be an issue with regular driving, but 4-6 weeks is about the limit.

Thank you . 
Ready mode, as in just pressing start button until the Ready light comes on charges the 12v Battery in neutral gear ? 
also the hybrid Battery hasn’t reached full bars yet on the display meter .

22 hours ago, wharfhouse said:

Depending on your view about risk and how you plan to service the car, just to let you know that although the car is out of the Lexus 10 year/100k mile free warranty there is the option of what is called Lexus 10 Year Plus Extended Warranty (also for cars under 10 years old but over 100k miles - this isn't advertised but dealers should know about it though some aren't so clued up but a message to Lexus customer services can put them straight). This can be purchased annually until the car is 15 years old or 150k miles whichever come first. It's comprehensive and much better than 3rd party warranties (in essence same as Lexus offer for cars under 10 years old / 100k miles) and comes with Lexus Roadside Assistance (full UK for you and a spouse driving any car and European cover for the Lexus). Cost is about £500 per annum (of which £155 is the included but not optional roadside assistance). The car must be serviced by a Lexus dealer according to the schedule though for the extended warranty to be valid. If you have the car serviced by Lexus it also includes the hybrid healthcheck for free which warrants the hybrid battery for a further one year / 10k miles whichever comes first (so until the next service is due) and this can continue each service until the car is 15 years old (with unlimited mileage). The hybrid health check can also be purchased without having a service for about £60. 

Enjoy the car - for a daily driver dealing with the usual commute, busy roads and also long distance travel, the hybrid package really shows its benefits making such journeys much more relaxing than they might otherwise be.

Thank you . Great information 

19 hours ago, DavidCM said:

Well Bob,it looks like you have made the right choice.It hasn't taken you long to come to the same conclusion as me and probably most other RC owners.Yhe added benefit is you won't see many around.As for your near miss with the BMW, they're like ar5eholes-- everybody's got one.

Thanks .

Yes I’m really chuffed with the car so far & have to stop myself popping out to look at it . 
It’s just so smooth compared to the others . 

36 minutes ago, bobwoolmer said:

Thank you . 
Ready mode, as in just pressing start button until the Ready light comes on charges the 12v battery in neutral gear ? 
also the hybrid battery hasn’t reached full bars yet on the display meter .

Yes - it doesn't need to. It is not like electric car where x%=x miles range. On RC you have maybe 1 mile of all electric range, so the Battery is just more for storage of energy when you are braking etc. Meaning that if it would use engine to recharge it to 100%, then it would have no capacity left to store energy from regenerative braking and similar and that would be a waste. 

And yes ready mode is almost like ACC mode on petrol car, but instead of being not started engine only runs when needed - so if car is parked, then engine will only start if hybrid Battery is too low (not exactly sure what is deemed "too low", but basically it is automated system and will look after itself), or if it is required for like AC or similar.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, bobwoolmer said:

Thank you . 
Ready mode, as in just pressing start button until the Ready light comes on charges the 12v battery in neutral gear ? 
also the hybrid battery hasn’t reached full bars yet on the display meter .

Ready mode means foot on the brake and press the Start button. The internal combustion engine (ICE) will then start as needed to charge the hybrid Battery which in turn will charge the 12V Battery. If you don't put your foot on the brake when you press the Start button it just turns the accessories on and air con etc which are then only running off the 12V Battery and will quickly drain it down meaning you won't then be able to start the car again without a jump start! In addition, for the ICE to charge the hybrid Battery the car must be in P or D/S and not Neutral. In N the hybrid Battery is NOT charged by the ICE and so the hybrid Battery will eventually be completely drained and the car will have to be flatbedded to Lexus to be restarted. Same when you are at traffic lights or in traffic jams etc - don't put the car in N just keep it in D/S with foot on the brake or move to P to ensure that the ICE will come on and off as needed to charge the hybrid Battery while queuing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you guys for the information I’ve just learnt the car doesn’t have an alternator nor starter motor . 

throughly enjoying the car but I can’t seem to find range of miles left display .

I also checked my tyres a couple of days ago & they were at 40psi all round so thought I’d let them down to manufacturers standard 35 front 36 rear and my tyre warning light came on , increasing the tyres back to 40 has turned off the light . The tyres are holding air but a bit puzzling , maybe the air gauge at the petrol station reading is off , I’ll try another this evening . 

cheers . 

4 hours ago, bobwoolmer said:

Thank you guys for the information I’ve just learnt the car doesn’t have an alternator nor starter motor . 

throughly enjoying the car but I can’t seem to find range of miles left display .

I also checked my tyres a couple of days ago & they were at 40psi all round so thought I’d let them down to manufacturers standard 35 front 36 rear and my tyre warning light came on , increasing the tyres back to 40 has turned off the light . The tyres are holding air but a bit puzzling , maybe the air gauge at the petrol station reading is off , I’ll try another this evening . 

cheers . 

I’m pretty sure you can set the ‘normal’  pressure in the tyres.  I’m writing this wondering if I’m imagining that but sure you can, in the RCF at least!

I’ve never driving an RC300h before but can imagine it suits the comfortable nature of the car, bit like the RCF but without the split personality and better fuel economy. I assume the suspension is a bit more forgiving too.

Let’s be honest, no-one actually needs 450-500bhp!!

• Thanks 1

Bob. If you don't have the handbook you can download it from the Lexus website.My car is the facelift RC and amongst many other displays you can get ,or set up to get,a remaining range readout,you just need to scroll through the options.I managed to fiddle around with it to get it to display remaining range and current mpg.I guess your display should do the same.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, bobwoolmer said:

cheers . 

No... it would be just set by dealer very-high, not sure you can set the pressures yourself without Techstream, but that can be set to your desired pressure. So now basically whenever it goes either below or above the set target by 2 or 3 PSI it triggers a warning.

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links