Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Approved Used - Warranty

Hi fam, 

My NX 300h underwent a health check today, I purchased it nearly 3 months ago. The results revealed a leaking water pump, front brake pads and discs worn down to 3mm. There is also a high bacterial reading, requiring anti-bacterial treatment.

I had plans to have the car serviced at Lexus when it is due for its MOT in a couple of months. I was hoping that this service would activate the Lexus service-activated warranty. Unfortunately, I did not anticipate issues with the water pump and brakes occurring before that.

The car is still covered under the Marshall-approved warranty. However, I am unsure if the water pump, discs, and pads can be replaced under this warranty, considering they were not identified during the pre-sales inspection check. Has anyone had any luck getting these replaced under warranty?

To add to the dilemma, Marshall Group no longer owns any Lexus dealerships; so, I am uncertain about the status of their approved warranty or how the arrangement works. I may have to get this replaced in one of their garages but not Lexus unless they can pay Lexus.

Would like to hear your thoughts, please.

Thanks, 

Kind regards
Bill

Was the car sold as a Lexus approved vehicle?

I would expect the water pump to be covered, the brakes probably fall under wear and tear so probably not covered (they would not be covered under the Relax scheme either unless actually faulty).

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Spock66 said:

Was the car sold as a Lexus approved vehicle?

Thank you @Spock66. It is under Marshall Approved, not Lexus.

I would expect the water pump to be covered, the brakes probably fall under wear and tear so probably not covered (they would not be covered under the Relax scheme either unless actually faulty).

Ok, thank you, the water pump that's good to know, at least one less thing on the list.

Cheers.

Water pump should be covered, but brakes not. That said, given that you only bought it 3 months ago, I'd complain to Marshall's about selling an approved car with worn brakes, and see if they'll replace them at no cost.

What did it say about brakes in the pre delivery inspection report?

• Like 2

Buying a used car from a dealer/trader gives you rights - for any fault that occurs within 6 months they seller needs to prove the fault wasn't there at sale or repair for free. So you can get your water pump fixed, but you cannot insist that Lexus do it.

The alternative would be if the vehicle has been serviced by a Lexus dealer within the last 12 month it will have a Relax warranty on it, which will cover the water pump.

For the brakes I'd actual check the wear level - plenty of times I've been told by a Lexus dealer they are lower than they actually are when I inspect them. If they are at 3mm, that could last a year or more before getting to 2mm on a hybrid so I'm not sure you have any comeback here, unless they told you they were in a better condition than they actual are.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Bluemarlin said:

Water pump should be covered, but brakes not. That said, given that you only bought it 3 months ago, I'd complain to Marshall's about selling an approved car with worn brakes, and see if they'll replace them at no cost.

What did it say about brakes in the pre delivery inspection report?

Thanks for replying @Bluemarlin.

The pre-delivery inspection report indicates that the brakes are fine and says 60% wear. I also had another issue regarding the tires not being replaced before delivery, which I complained about and they resolved this issue. Now, another problem has arisen - it is evident that they did not conduct thorough checks. The inspection report does not mention anything about the water pump though; it appears to be a standard checklist. I have contacted the dealer, waiting for a reply - hope they resolve this.

22 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

Buying a used car from a dealer/trader gives you rights - for any fault that occurs within 6 months they seller needs to prove the fault wasn't there at sale or repair for free. So you can get your water pump fixed, but you cannot insist that Lexus do it.

The alternative would be if the vehicle has been serviced by a Lexus dealer within the last 12 month it will have a Relax warranty on it, which will cover the water pump.

For the brakes I'd actual check the wear level - plenty of times I've been told by a Lexus dealer they are lower than they actually are when I inspect them. If they are at 3mm, that could last a year or more before getting to 2mm on a hybrid so I'm not sure you have any comeback here, unless they told you they were in a better condition than they actual are.

Thank you @ColinBarber for replying.

The Marshall dealer did the service and provided me with their approve warranty for a year - since this was not by Lexus, I missed out on the relax warranty. I went through the Marshall documentation, and it looks like the waterpump will be covered. My next service will be at Lexus which will activate the Relax warranty which should help me in the following years.

Brakes - sure, I will double-check the wear level. Lexus says it is between 3 - 4mm and needs urgent attention. The pre-delivery inspection report from Marshall says the wear is at 60%, I am assuming this should be around 4.5 mm, maybe? And for the worn discs, I can't really tell, got two visually shiny discs, but Lexus say they are worn, but I am not sure.

It sounds good, if the breaks could go for at least a year, I will get a few quotes. I have a local Toyota, will check their prices as well. Lexus quote came to about £450 I think, but I see prices with 50% less - not sure if this must be done at Lexus or elsewhere is fine.

Thank you.

Interesting to hear about the brake wear. Over the years both the wife and I have had numerous new Japanese and German cars and we noted that brake wear on the Japanese cars was dreadful compared to the German cars. I don't remember ever having new pads or discs on any German car (even with up to 5 years of use) but it seemed that every Japanese car had to have new pads before being 3 years old.

On 8/19/2023 at 12:06 PM, Kaizen said:

Thank you @ColinBarber for replying.

The Marshall dealer did the service and provided me with their approve warranty for a year - since this was not by Lexus, I missed out on the relax warranty. I went through the Marshall documentation, and it looks like the waterpump will be covered. My next service will be at Lexus which will activate the Relax warranty which should help me in the following years.

Brakes - sure, I will double-check the wear level. Lexus says it is between 3 - 4mm and needs urgent attention. The pre-delivery inspection report from Marshall says the wear is at 60%, I am assuming this should be around 4.5 mm, maybe? And for the worn discs, I can't really tell, got two visually shiny discs, but Lexus say they are worn, but I am not sure.

It sounds good, if the breaks could go for at least a year, I will get a few quotes. I have a local Toyota, will check their prices as well. Lexus quote came to about £450 I think, but I see prices with 50% less - not sure if this must be done at Lexus or elsewhere is fine.

Thank you.

How many miles has the car done? On my IS 300h I had front brake discs and pads changed at 80k miles. They would have probably covered another 20k miles but the front wheel bearings were being replaced (under extended warranty) so I chose to have new discs and pads fitted while that work was being done. The rears are still original at 135k miles. I can imagine the NX 300h may be a bit heavier on brakes. Not sure if that helps but may give you some sort of benchmark. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, wharfhouse said:

How many miles has the car done? On my IS 300h I had front brake discs and pads changed at 80k miles. They would have probably covered another 20k miles but the front wheel bearings were being replaced (under extended warranty) so I chose to have new discs and pads fitted while that work was being done. The rears are still original at 135k miles. I can imagine the NX 300h may be a bit heavier on brakes. Not sure if that helps but may give you some sort of benchmark. 

Hi @wharfhouse,

Thank you for that. My car has 60k miles on the clock. I have asked them about the warranty and now Marshall wants to do another inspection to check if these can be covered under warranty.

3 hours ago, Kaizen said:

Hi @wharfhouse,

Thank you for that. My car has 60k miles on the clock. I have asked them about the warranty and now Marshall wants to do another inspection to check if these can be covered under warranty.

Sounds a bit on the low mileage side for new front discs and pads but depending on where the car was used previously 60k miles isn't too bad. Whether the report was accurate regards how worn the brake were when you bought the car is another matter though. Hopefully Marshalls might change them foc for you. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Good news - the front discs and brakes were replaced free of cost. As for the water pump, the recent inspection report says it is not 'actively leaking' - which means it will leak soon 😄

I am booking a Lexus service so it will activate the Lexus warranty, does anyone know if they will address any existing issues under the first Lexus service which activates the warranty?

Thank you all 🙂

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Kaizen said:

Good news - the front discs and brakes were replaced free of cost. As for the water pump, the recent inspection report says it is not 'actively leaking' - which means it will leak soon 😄

I am booking a Lexus service so it will activate the Lexus warranty, does anyone know if they will address any existing issues under the first Lexus service which activates the warranty?

Thank you all 🙂

Good news that the brakes are being replaced FoC - as a car sold through an established dealer like Marshalls you are paying top dollar to expect a car that does not have such issues to have to pay for in such a short amount of time.

As for the Lexus Service, they will carry out the appropriate service for the car's age/miles and report anything that needs attention. If anything identified should be warranty related then I would have thought they would expect you to pay to have that sorted before they would issue the Relax Warranty to cover the coming 12 months / 10K miles - if the car is given a clean bill of health though, anything coming to light after that should be dealt with under the Relax Warranty T&Cs.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, wharfhouse said:

Good news that the brakes are being replaced FoC - as a car sold through an established dealer like Marshalls you are paying top dollar to expect a car that does not have such issues to have to pay for in such a short amount of time.

As for the Lexus Service, they will carry out the appropriate service for the car's age/miles and report anything that needs attention. If anything identified should be warranty related then I would have thought they would expect you to pay to have that sorted before they would issue the Relax Warranty to cover the coming 12 months / 10K miles - if the car is given a clean bill of health though, anything coming to light after that should be dealt with under the Relax Warranty T&Cs.

@wharfhouse: thank you so much - It took multiple chases, but in the end, I am glad it was done FoC.

Ok, in this case, I will double-check the water pump issue before booking the service. Otherwise, I will be in a situation where the Lexus warranty is active and Marshall performs the work, and I am uncertain about how that will impact the Lexus warranty.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links