Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

IS250 Tyres - square set-up?

On 8/23/2023 at 10:18 PM, Linas.P said:

But that was specifically what we were discussing... 

As for the rest I think you are correct on all individual things in isolation. 

225mm means - only the thread surface i.e. the part that touches the road. And indeed the side wall design could be very different, some have wheel protectors, some don't, some are round, some are more like triangle, some are very thin and flimsy, some are reinforced etc. But the thread will always be 225mm and 225mm is more than 203mm, so that is all that matters here. And on top of that there is no way you will touch and actual wheel to the arch, unless you severely lower the car (like 80mm), but you will probably scrape the bottom of the car before you scrap the wheel on the arches. In short as far as spacers are concerned, wheels width isn't an issue most of the time. 

Not that it matters in OP's case, but I can confirm you will scrape on your arch liner before you scrape on the chassis. This is why it needs cutting out or trimming when lowering the car to a point where it looks lowered. In fact my wheel managed to rub through the top of my arch liner and through the window washer pipe before, so be careful.

"Play stupid games, win stupid prizes"

• Sad 1

On 8/24/2023 at 10:27 PM, LenT said:

I think that rather depends on the second figure in the equation - the aspect ratio which determines the height.

My IS wears 225/40 on the front and 255/35 on the rear - both on 18” wheels.

The second figure is the height of the tyre expressed as a percentage of the full tyre width.

So the rear wider tyres have a lower percentage which results in the two tyres having exactly the same height.  This ensures that the rolling radius remains unchanged.

Totally agree.  3mm is my limit - and it’s a depth below which most tyre manufacturers claim performance deteriorates rapidly.  

Generally, cheap tyres are cheap for a reason.  However, some ‘budget’ tyres are cheaper for different reasons.  Namely, they are made by major tyre brands - often using the same compounds and benefitting from the same technology - but they are made in a limited number of the most popular sizes, thus reducing production costs.

They don’t aspire to being ‘performance’ tyres but are perfectly acceptable for most drivers.  If cost is a real consideration, they can be worth seeking out.

you are right. but the older cars have the same profile front and rear 225/40/17 on front 245/40/17 on rear.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have a square setup of 225s on 18’s,the rears appear stretched but you get use to the look and I find the car handles better than it did with non square setup.
Goodyear asymmetric 6’s and damn there a good tyre! 
As for fuel consumption which was mentioned somewhere in the thread,from my experience after nearly 10000 miles I’d say get a slightly better mpg rather than worse. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, zoricib said:

Decided to go with the staggered setup in the end and just ordered a pair of Asymmetric 6's from ASDA tyres

Always makes me smile with ASDA selling tyres.

The name ASDA comes from the original company name of ASsociated DAiries which sold milk, cream and other dairy products.

Along came the supermarket chain and now just like most of the others they sell everything.

I would love to have a chat with their technical tyre department regarding noise levels between 2 brands with a 3 dB difference in published figures. 

2 hours ago, steve2006 said:

Always makes me smile with ASDA selling tyres.

The name ASDA comes from the original company name of ASsociated DAiries which sold milk, cream and other dairy products.

Along came the supermarket chain and now just like most of the others they sell everything.

I would love to have a chat with their technical tyre department regarding noise levels between 2 brands with a 3 dB difference in published figures. 

Things always change with brands and companies - I used to work for a pharma company which originally produced and sold solid fuels. 

ASDA came cheaper than the rest, so went with them.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links