Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Yet another MOT fail! Can someone help identify this part?

MrTrendizzle

Hey,  

So my MOT failed this morning and the happy people at Halfords couldn't find the part required on their system but have listed down "Suspension arm ball joint excessively worn Nearside Rear Lower (Front most)  

No i'm trying to figure out what exactly i'm looking for as without getting super wet and cold i have no idea what part that is and Google brings up "upper control arm joint" rather than anything lower for the rear, or it's for the front only. Maybe i'm getting old and my Google is just outdated...  

Does anyone have a picture or even a diagram to help find the part i require? I'm running through everything in my head and i can't for the life of me figure out which ball joint it could honestly be that's at the rear, low and at the front of the hub unless it's the large control arm the strut bolts in to but then i don't think that has a ball joint anywhere so i'm lost.  

Besides that i need to adjust the headlight and it's flawless sailing through the retest.  

EDIT: Would it be this https://www.moog-suspension-parts.com/beckarnley-102-7302 or this https://www.moog-suspension-parts.com/beckarnley-102-7327
I assume the first link but will need to double check and find this in the UK.

29 minutes ago, MrTrendizzle said:

So my MOT failed this morning and the happy people at Halfords couldn't find the part required on their system but have listed down "Suspension arm ball joint excessively worn Nearside Rear Lower (Front most)  

I’ve always understood that one of the reasons garages set themselves up as MOT stations is so that they can make some real money carrying out the remedial work.  If Halfords ‘can’t find the part’ that they’ve just declared an MOT fail, I would question their competence to actually do the testing.

And, perhaps, question the wisdom of going there in the first place.

I appreciate that with a sixteen year old car, cost becomes a significant factor - and it sounds like you’re planning to do any repair work yourself.  But would it now be better to find a recognised Lexus dealer - or a competent repair shop - to either do a retest and/or repair.  Or at least to identify and supply the part, if it is actually needed?

Note:

Since writing this I see that Steve has provided the information that the OP needs to identify the part that Halfords has failed.

So that just leaves me wondering why take your car to Halfords for an MOT in the first place?

• Like 4

Just rechecked and the red circled is correct, the blue one is the upper control arm

7 minutes ago, MrTrendizzle said:

Thank you @steve2006 I'll get that ordered and sort my headlight out for the retest. Thank you for helping clear that up.

Before you order from the USA the Lexus list price is showing at around £50.00 for the genuine part, maybe worth calling LPD first?

Lexus part number is 48706-53020 Link Sub Assy, Toe Control, LH

Just rechecked and the red circled one is the lower so correct if Halfrauds have described it correctly.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, LenT said:

I’ve always understood that one of the reasons garages set themselves up as MOT stations is so that they can make some real money carrying out the remedial work.  If Halfords ‘can’t find the part’ that they’ve just declared an MOT fail, I would question their competence to actually do the testing.

And, perhaps, question the wisdom of going there in the first place.

I appreciate that with a sixteen year old car, cost becomes a significant factor - and it sounds like you’re planning to do any repair work yourself.  But would it now be better to find a recognised Lexus dealer - or a competent repair shop - to either do a retest and/or repair.  Or at least to identify and supply the part, if it is actually needed?

The issue for me is every local garage is booked up until next year for MOT's I've tried the 3 most local then just accepted Halfords as they could get me in asap. I'm sure if i dug around the next town over i'd find a garage with a slot available but i opted for the easy route.
The person looking for the parts was showing me front ball joints, then someone else came to look and just said "We can't get the parts" so not very helpful. I should've ask if the guy who did the MOT could just point out the part on the car while it was parked up. I just didn't think at the time. I was more concerned with working out what part and how much.

2 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

Just rechecked and the red circled is correct, the blue one is the upper control arm

Before you order from the USA the Lexus list price is showing at around £50.00 for the genuine part, maybe worth calling LPD first?

I just checked eBay and found the part for £80 For Lexus Is220d Is250 05-13 Genuine Rear Left Lower Track Control Arm - New I don't suppose you could send me that link for the one you found on LPD could you.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, MrTrendizzle said:

We can't get the parts" so not very helpfu

My local Halfords told me last year, after carrying out service and mot to my Citroen van, that they didn't have anyone with the skill set to remedy my apparently overheating van (temp sender went rogue it turned out) but they would take money off me to diagnose the problem ....yeah right!....that lost my custom for sure not again will I grace Halfords with my wallet!!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, steve2006 said:

It’s not listed on LPD just a suggestion to give them a call for the price 😀

Just gave LDP a ring and they've got the part for £130 which includes shipping, VAT and all the bolts, nuts etc... Not bad at all considering the alternative is £90 and if i damage the bolt/nuts i'm back to waiting on parts.  

Thanks again for the help Steve.

• Like 1

A bit more than the €47.53 I have listed but no idea how old the database is now plus you have to add in the inflation effects of global warming and the Ukraine war amongst others.

If you get the cam adjustment bolt included that’s €12.00 on top and they do tend to seize up.

Make a note of the position of this to get it back in a similar position and perhaps consider alignment once fitted.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

A bit more than the €47.53 I have listed but no idea how old the database is now plus you have to add in the inflation effects of global warming and the Ukraine war amongst others.

If you get the cam adjustment bolt included that’s €12.00 on top and they do tend to seize up.

Make a note of the position of this to get it back in a similar position and perhaps consider alignment once fitted.

Yeah the quote includes the cam adjustment bolt, the locking nut and i'm sure the lady said a shim or plate? I can't remember but it was everything i would remove to replace the part. So it's much better to have them laying around and crack out the grinder rather than shout and throw spanners around for an hour.  

To be fair £130 i can't sniff at. It's coming from a reputable place unlike eBay random Lithuania seller which dosn't include any nuts/bolts.  

Again thank you so much. I was going out of my mind trying to visualise and figure out what exactly i needed so you saved me a massive headache. I definitely owe you a drink if we ever meet at a show.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MrTrendizzle said:

The issue for me is every local garage is booked up until next year for MOT's I've tried the 3 most local then just accepted Halfords as they could get me in asap. I'm sure if i dug around the next town over i'd find a garage with a slot available but i opted for the easy route.
The person looking for the parts was showing me front ball joints, then someone else came to look and just said "We can't get the parts" so not very helpful. I should've ask if the guy who did the MOT could just point out the part on the car while it was parked up. I just didn't think at the time. I was more concerned with working out what part and how much.

I just checked Ebay and found the part for £80 For Lexus Is220d Is250 05-13 Genuine Rear Left Lower Track Control Arm - New I don't suppose you could send me that link for the one you found on LPD could you.

Have you check your local council MOT center (if they have one)

Stafford do and a very good service they give as well, they can only pass or fail as they do not supply or fit anything so have nothing to gain by sucking their teeth etc.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MrTrendizzle said:

Hey,  

No i'm trying to figure out what exactly i'm looking for as without getting super wet and cold i have no idea what part that is and Google brings up "upper control arm joint" rather than anything lower for the rear, or it's for the front only. Maybe i'm getting old and my Google is just outdated...  

Does anyone have a picture or even a diagram to help find the part i require? I'm running through everything in my head and i can't for the life of me figure out which ball joint it could honestly be that's at the rear, low and at the front of the hub unless it's the large control arm the strut bolts in to but then i don't think that has a ball joint anywhere so i'm lost.  

Besides that i need to adjust the headlight and it's flawless sailing through the retest.  

EDIT: Would it be this https://www.moog-suspension-parts.com/beckarnley-102-7302 or this https://www.moog-suspension-parts.com/beckarnley-102-7327
I assume the first link but will need to double check and find this in the UK.

Ohhh please! People DO NOT USE halfrauds for MOT, you are 100% to be stitched-up, they will always try to fail you for profit. This is literally worst possible place to take your car for MOT.

Halfrauds in particular is massive NO NO! I am sure kwikfrauds similar... 

Just rule of thumb - if you could find MOT centre that doesn't work on cars, then it is ideal, because they have no incentive to fail you, but you at least have to use centre that you trust to be honest with the repairs. Since when halfrauds and honest belongs in one sentence? 

I am glad you found the part you need, but to be fair you were kind of asking for trouble here. Don't want to repeat the stories about halfrauds for nth time, but the people there can't even tell the difference between front of the car and rear of the car (literally, they advised my front brakes, when the rear needed replacement). And even if we assume you want to find out whenever your car is safe to drive (which I advise shouldn't be done during the MOT), then halfrauds is still horrible place to do it, because they will miss genuine faults and point out something stupid like ball joint rubber. So I would not even trust them to if they say I have passed.

• Like 5

18 hours ago, VFR said:

Have you check your local council MOT center (if they have one)

Stafford do and a very good service they give as well, they can only pass or fail as they do not supply or fit anything so have nothing to gain by sucking their teeth etc.

I'm not sure if there's one local to me. (Pershore, Worcestershire) I have a friendly garage right next door to me but they're booked up non stop as they seem to service everyone local. Nothing but amazing reviews for that place tho. I'll keep an eye out for a "council MOT" place and if i can find one i'll definitely use that next time.

18 hours ago, Linas.P said:

Ohhh please! People DO NOT USE halfrauds for MOT, you are 100% to be stitched-up, they will always try to fail you for profit. This is literally worst possible place to take your car for MOT.

Halfrauds in particular is massive NO NO! I am sure kwikfrauds similar... 

Just rule of thumb - if you could find MOT centre that doesn't work on cars, then it is ideal, because they have no incentive to fail you, but you at least have to use centre that you trust to be honest with the repairs. Since when halfrauds and honest belongs in one sentence? 

I am glad you found the part you need, but to be fair you were kind of asking for trouble here. Don't want to repeat the stories about halfrauds for nth time, but the people there can't even tell the difference between front of the car and rear of the car (literally, they advised my front brakes, when the rear needed replacement). And even if we assume you want to find out whenever your car is safe to drive (which I advise shouldn't be done during the MOT), then halfrauds is still horrible place to do it, because they will miss genuine faults and point out something stupid like ball joint rubber. So I would not even trust them to if they say I have passed.

I agree 100% unfortunately it was one of the few places that could fit me in. I've been out under the car this morning wiggling things with a 4ft breaker bar and i couldn't find anything moving around, gave them a call to just confirm what was wrong so i could get it replaced/ The attitude i received just from asking was horrendous. All i asked was if the tester could give me a call back to explain exactly what was wrong or if i should come in with a picture so he can point to the part which needs replacing. After a few minutes they get back on the phone with the tester in the background saying "press down on the ball joint" literally felt like the nut was loose. So i tightened it up and it's still wiggling up and down but there's no flex side to side or forwards/backwards.  
To be honest it's a little rusty and could do with replacing regardless.  

Next thing on my list today is to adjust my headlight (Drivers headlamp aim too high - Adjusted internal to retest) whatever that means. I assume they turned the light level dial after failing it? Going to look a fool parking up on the industrial estate for level ground (My drive slopes) adjusting the headlight but it's got to be done.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MrTrendizzle said:

@VFR That's actually not too far. A little further than Evesham but might be worth the extra miles. Thank you.

Your welcome & what I would do is take your car there for a booked MOT and simply say that you took your car to your usual man who could not find any fault who then advised you to take it elsewhere for the re-test. 

Good reviews LED you here instead of Halfords.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MrTrendizzle said:

if i should come in with a picture so he can point to the part which needs replacing

This prompted the recollection that at my last MOT/Service (I combine the two for convenience) at Lexus MK, I was emailed a video by the tester around mainly the underside of the car.

In it he took the time to identify the areas he’d looked at and his comments about them..He’d even chalked the tread depths across the tyres!  Clearly, this would have been the ideal way to identify a specific problem.

In fact, this was the first time this had happened so it’ll be interesting to see if it’s repeated next year.  It probably depends on the individual tester — and should be encouraged!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, LenT said:

This prompted the recollection that at my last MOT/Service (I combine the two for convenience) at Lexus MK, I was emailed a video by the tester around mainly the underside of the car.

In it he took the time to identify the areas he’d looked at and his comments about them..He’d even chalked the tread depths across the tyres!  Clearly, this would have been the ideal way to identify a specific problem.

In fact, this was the first time this had happened so it’ll be interesting to see if it’s repeated next year.  It probably depends on the individual tester — and should be encouraged!

I would love videos be standard practice during an MOT. It would make things so much easier to fix/replace both for the at home DIY or garage. If the tester had simply just taken a photo saying "This has too much play" it makes fixing things so much better and even prompts you with confidence.  

16 hours ago, VFR said:

Your welcome & what I would do is take your car there for a booked MOT and simply say that you took your car to your usual man who could not find any fault who then advised you to take it elsewhere for the re-test. 

Good reviews led you here instead of Halfords.

I've already ordered the parts from Lexus Parts Direct. I'll definitely be booking my next MOT with that place in Tewkesbury tho.

• Like 1

I'm surprised that Lexus Owners Don't use a Lexus dealer for MOT's. They don't charge any more than any other MOT station. Lexus provide a very good video mainly of the underside but if there's an issue above they show that too.

It's appreciated however that sometimes a place like Halfords has to be used. I've praised them before recently and now because of some staff changes I'll not use Halfords again. 

I'll tell you why. 1: they at first stated they couldn't do a wheel alignment because the top suspension mounts were shot. What? I said. It passed its MOT only 2 weeks ago. After some gentle strong words the managed to align the wheels (the tracking was well out as was the steering wheel position)   2: Aircon recharge. They stated to me I had a massive leak which they couldn't find. All the gas had escaped within 10 minutes. I went elsewhere and guess what. They filled the system. Left it running for a few hours (I told them that Halfords said there was a leak). No leak found and the system blows ccccold. 

Places like Halfords Kwikfit can be good places but it Totally depends on who works there. Only last year my local Halfords was brilliant. Now it's #hit.

I recommend Mr T you take your car to your nearest dealer for MOT'S in the future. 

• Like 3

Just a quick update: MOT has passed. I'm pretty sure they didn't even retest the car or adjust the headlight. I think the guy sat in the car, read the LPD receipt and passed it. My headlight is in the exact same position as it was before as when i got home put the lights on and they line up with my previous mark i made on my second car (Dry wipe marker on the boot panel to see where the light came up to).  

I now have another 12 months of enjoying my IS250 and i'm on Black Circles right now ordering new rear tyres. I checked the front pads and they still have a bit of life left so will replace them next month.  

I might replace the rear number plate but need to get a show plate made up (No silly markings, just the letters/numbers. I like the clean look and honestly who gets close enough to rear the tiny print saying "Made by X"  

I've also been on to Aliexpress (Best Chinese website ever 🤣) to order the auto folding mirror module along with some new carbon effect door strips to protect my house from the kids swinging the doors open.

• Like 4

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links