Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Personal Registration Plate

I have gone through the Gov.UK site (to remove my personal plate) to the point where I have to pay but could not see how I get an age related number to replace it. I have done this before but cannot remember where the age relate number comes from?

2 minutes ago, Richard1200 said:

I have gone through the Gov.UK site (to remove my personal plate) to the point where I have to pay but could not see how I get an age related number to replace it. I have done this before but cannot remember where the age relate number comes from?

You pay now (on retention) so when you want to put your personal plate on new vehicle you have already paid the assignment fee ....£80 I believe.

The vehicle that has personal plate from which it is removed will get its original plate reg which you will be told via the DVLA.

3 minutes ago, Duggie B said:

You pay now (on retention) so when you want to put your personal plate on new vehicle you have already paid the assignment fee ....£80 I believe.

The vehicle that has personal plate from which it is removed will get its original plate reg which you will be told via the DVLA.

But my car was registered with my personal plate. I need to get age related plates made before it goes in p/ex

11 minutes ago, Richard1200 said:

But my car was registered with my personal plate. I need to get age related plates made before it goes in p/ex

DVLA will assign a registration for you and you will get the relevant document to have plates made up prior to you trading in your existing vehicle .....either that or let dealer sort it out 

Always register a new car with a gov number then change to your personal reg.  when you retain your number they issue the new number to suite your cars age.  At that point don’t close it down because they give you a link that you’ll need to have the number plates made.  

1 hour ago, Don C said:

Always register a new car with a gov number then change to your personal reg.  when you retain your number they issue the new number to suite your cars age.  At that point don’t close it down because they give you a link that you’ll need to have the number plates made.  

That's what I have always done and each time I have taken my private plate off when I have changed cars, they always got their original number back.  I always keep the original physical number plates too so I can put them back on when I change the car.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, stepppy said:

That's what I have always done and each time I have taken my private plate off when I have changed cars, they always got their original number back.  I always keep the original physical number plates too so I can put them back on when I change the car.

That’s it Stephen, I’ve just done the same.  My UX should get to the dealer this week and it’s got a regular 73 number.  I’ll put my Reg on when the V5C turns up.  

• Like 1

Thanks guys, always get an answer on this forum. I went through the payment part and there was was my assigned 71 plate. Taken your advice and having my new one next month with a 73 plate and I will keep my plate and retention certificate until ready.

thanks everybody

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Richard1200 said:

Thanks guys, always get an answer on this forum. I went through the payment part and there was was my assigned 71 plate. Taken your advice and having my new one next month with a 73 plate and I will keep my plate and retention certificate until ready.

thanks everybody

You can make a nicer job of fitting the plates too.  They often have the dealer name slapped across them which when you think about it, if you scrawled your name on the front and back of their car they’d call the police.  They want you to advertise for them and they don’t even offer to tax your car for free or free servicing!   All the plates need is a very small discrete manufacturer name and the BS number so they often look much nicer.  

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links