Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Retrofitting OEM Reverse Camera

Hey Everyone,

I picked up a 2016 IS300h F-Sport earlier this year, which annoyingly didn't come with a reverse camera installed. I've had a look about and seen threads about this before, with people saying the wiring looms are different so you would have to go aftermarket. However, I've had a look in car and spotted an empty connector which, to me, looks like the connector for the OEM camera.

Am I right in thinking it's the right connector? If so would fitting an OEM one be essentially plug and play?

IMG20230924195521.thumb.jpg.cd97af84903ca3978286d1076fa937bd.jpg

IMG20230924195544.thumb.jpg.96d0a296f11644d0f46bab5bb1b5fc1a.jpgThanks!

Yup, that's the right connector. I have a 2015 IS250 and have successfully fitted the OEM reverse camera. After finding a used camera on eBay, plugged it in and voila, put it in reverse and seems to work.

However, the main issue I had was with cutting a hole in the boot, my boot didn't have a hole for the camera to go through. I was able to do this with a Dremel tool. The cuts I made weren't perfect, it was my first time trying to use a Dremel on my car. But once the camera and moulding goes on, those will be covered up.

You will also need to change the boot moulding to one that has the camera cutout.

I am not sure, but maybe you will be lucky and the cutout in the boot is already there, I am not sure.

Here are some pictures I had taken back when I did it.

Connector:

image.thumb.jpeg.db0da145a7f4341a681d3b4f4274d100.jpeg

Cutting:

image.thumb.jpeg.b2cdc8d5c8e7804271831319767f64a9.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.e84536621b9bde1826569abce526eeaa.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.c66dc5624f64dc7256db6e134cb13ed5.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.5e9ce29ed69a5b93bb9547544bb58338.jpeg

Installing Camera:

image.thumb.jpeg.7e1423676766278bd82ffac796fae135.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.ad4d2ec7d8ccfdec3238bd21d6e044fe.jpeg

Final Result:

image.thumb.jpeg.d450193aa3499a3e93063e89a319afce.jpeg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 9/24/2023 at 11:07 PM, waquidvp said:

Yup, that's the right connector. I have a 2015 IS250 and have successfully fitted the OEM reverse camera. After finding a used camera on eBay, plugged it in and voila, put it in reverse and seems to work.

However, the main issue I had was with cutting a hole in the boot, my boot didn't have a hole for the camera to go through. I was able to do this with a Dremel tool. The cuts I made weren't perfect, it was my first time trying to use a Dremel on my car. But once the camera and moulding goes on, those will be covered up.

You will also need to change the boot moulding to one that has the camera cutout.

I am not sure, but maybe you will be lucky and the cutout in the boot is already there, I am not sure.

Here are some pictures I had taken back when I did it.

Connector:

image.thumb.jpeg.db0da145a7f4341a681d3b4f4274d100.jpeg

Cutting:

image.thumb.jpeg.b2cdc8d5c8e7804271831319767f64a9.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.e84536621b9bde1826569abce526eeaa.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.c66dc5624f64dc7256db6e134cb13ed5.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.5e9ce29ed69a5b93bb9547544bb58338.jpeg

Installing Camera:

image.thumb.jpeg.7e1423676766278bd82ffac796fae135.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.ad4d2ec7d8ccfdec3238bd21d6e044fe.jpeg

Final Result:

image.thumb.jpeg.d450193aa3499a3e93063e89a319afce.jpeg

Hi mate, this is really useful info. Thanks for sharing!  I’ve been thinking about doing this for a while. Can I ask where you managed to get the piece of trim with the cut out for the camera from? I’ve never been able to find one on eBay or anywhere else for that matter. 

5 hours ago, HighlandJohn said:

My camera is, to say the least 'hazy' when R is selected. I'll try giving the lens a clean with Duxsback or similar but realistically how easy is it to swap out the camera for a replacement?

It looks fairly straight forward John. I’ll share what I know in exchange for the piece of trim I need 😜

The camera itself is just a couple of clips and unplugging the connecting wire in the boot, but you’ll need to remove a piece of trim on the boot lid that covers it. I’ll see if I can attach some screenshots of the repair manual for you…

IMG_3804.thumb.png.12d6a3064e59c5d9ca8466e8ea15a0ad.png
IMG_3805.thumb.png.8a8806b17db853a7ce63f31bf56e2745.pngIMG_3803.thumb.png.87a007b4feece923ab666d93b87bdc1e.pngIMG_3802.thumb.png.a776edc5fe205efdd408454ce02c1111.png

I tried to put them in the right order, but it’s remove the cover inside the boot. Ignore the bit about the hinge covers. Then it’s the rear light assemblies, followed by what looks like the number plate lights which will give you access to the screws for the trim. Once the trim is off, it will give you access to the camera. Disengage the 2 clips and then unplug it. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/11/2023 at 5:05 AM, Strenoob11 said:

Hey i have 2013 lexus is300h and dont have parking camera neither sensor. Can i add camera the same method like do i have the connector there? If so should the infotainment system need some reprogramming

First thing to check is the connector. Pop the trim off in your boot and have a look. If you’ve got the connector, it should just be plug and play 👍

I got a camera from a breakers for £150 and it was plug and play with no software updates. I managed to find the replacement bit of trim on eBay for £30. The scary bit is cutting a square hole in your boot 😬. I might do it this weekend if I get time.

If you’ve got the connector, get a camera from someone who accepts returns. That way you can then plug it in to see if it works with no risk. Then think about getting the other bit of trim and cutting the hole later. 

• 2 weeks later...

At the risk of raining on someone's parade, my efforts over more than 2 years to fit an oem reversing camera that displays on the 'big screen' have failed. N.B. my car is a 300h Executive Edition so this may not apply to upper level versions!

On the net I found a detailed account of a plug and play fitting, and removed the boot lid trim to find THE connector sitting there. Deep joy! As new cameras from Lexus were £250, and used ones weren't available, I located a company called Hushan in Taiwan who listed an OEM camera with the right part number for c.£100. I successfully negotiated the language and customs barriers; well done, me. When the camera arrived I found that the connector on this camera was completely different and would not connect to the one in the boot. DOOM!

Then I bought a complete (damaged) bootlid with camera etc. Removed the camera and plugged it in. Nothing!  When the car next went in for service I asked the Service Dept. To identify the connector in the boot and explained why. Reply was that this was the connector for the camera, but a lot more electrical bits would be needed, dashboard out, possibly a new infotainment unit, so economically unviable.

Next I bought a connector adaptor from Ukraine (!) which piggybacks onto the back of the radio unit and includes a camera connector. To date I have not got this to work, and when in place, the MAP option on the menu carousel disappears!  However, my son is a genius on all this sort of thing, and has the Carista software which he's had plugged into my car previously, so I will try to persuade him to have a go. However, he's very busy and lives far away.

The temporary solution that does work is  a basic eBay reversing camera connected to a wireless transmitter in the boot lid. Wireless receiver is hidden under the gearshift cover, and displays on a 5" screen mounted between the seat heating switches. But I still want to get a setup that displays on the big screen! 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, oldcarman said:

At the risk of raining on someone's parade, my efforts over more than 2 years to fit an oem reversing camera that displays on the 'big screen' have failed. N.B. my car is a 300h Executive Edition so this may not apply to upper level versions!

On the net I found a detailed account of a plug and play fitting, and removed the boot lid trim to find THE connector sitting there. Deep joy! As new cameras from Lexus were £250, and used ones weren't available, I located a company called Hushan in Taiwan who listed an OEM camera with the right part number for c.£100. I successfully negotiated the language and customs barriers; well done, me. When the camera arrived I found that the connector on this camera was completely different and would not connect to the one in the boot. DOOM!

Then I bought a complete (damaged) bootlid with camera etc. Removed the camera and plugged it in. Nothing!  When the car next went in for service I asked the Service Dept. To identify the connector in the boot and explained why. Reply was that this was the connector for the camera, but a lot more electrical bits would be needed, dashboard out, possibly a new infotainment unit, so economically unviable.

Next I bought a connector adaptor from Ukraine (!) which piggybacks onto the back of the radio unit and includes a camera connector. To date I have not got this to work, and when in place, the MAP option on the menu carousel disappears!  However, my son is a genius on all this sort of thing, and has the Carista software which he's had plugged into my car previously, so I will try to persuade him to have a go. However, he's very busy and lives far away.

The temporary solution that does work is  a basic eBay reversing camera connected to a wireless transmitter in the boot lid. Wireless receiver is hidden under the gearshift cover, and displays on a 5" screen mounted between the seat heating switches. But I still want to get a setup that displays on the big screen! 

I have an executive too and if you want to have a reversing cam display on the big screen. There are 2 options. For both you will need a generic Chinese reversing camera as these use simple RCA cables. Then you will need an android box that accepts an RCA input this acts as in interface between your factory head unit and factory screen but will add android auto/carplay and reversing camera functions to your existing setup something like this. If you're willing to invest the time and effort you can even get a 360 camera. 

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mMin4qk

The other option is to again use a generic camera but instead of the Android box you can upgrade your factory screen to a larger chinese one with android. Similar to the box this does improve the overall functionality and even uplifts the interior of your car making it look more modern but is a pricier option. This also offers the 360 camera option 

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mLuj3b6

The chalenge here will be installing it. Should be easy if you're good with DIY. Also i seen you get Chinese cameras that support dynamic lines i.e the lines turn when you turn your steering wheel. 

I have ordered one of these screens ans cameras and will try to do a step by step video review if possible. 

On 11/14/2023 at 6:43 PM, CypressPhil said:

First thing to check is the connector. Pop the trim off in your boot and have a look. If you’ve got the connector, it should just be plug and play 👍

I got a camera from a breakers for £150 and it was plug and play with no software updates. I managed to find the replacement bit of trim on eBay for £30. The scary bit is cutting a square hole in your boot 😬. I might do it this weekend if I get time.

If you’ve got the connector, get a camera from someone who accepts returns. That way you can then plug it in to see if it works with no risk. Then think about getting the other bit of trim and cutting the hole later. 

Hope it all goes well with the cutting, I used a Dremel but it was a little difficult cause it was my first time cutting into a body like that.

Excited to see the result!

11 hours ago, oldcarman said:

Wow this is very interesting, it was plug and play for me. However mines is a 2015 IS250 Base model. Once I plugged the camera in and put the car into reverse, the screen switched over to the camera.

It’s worth mentioning that it doesn’t always work for me, once every 25 or so reverses, the camera won’t show up on the screen. This might be something else but I haven’t investigated much since it only happens so rarely. Turning the car off and on again seems to fix it.

• 2 weeks later...

so i installed a cheap aliexpress camera to the original connector by tutorial from another forum. He had clear picture but i have these pixels on right side. It seems when obstacle comes closer they get worse. I am almost sure my connections are strong. May the camera be bad?

IMG_2014.jpeg

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, jackdublin said:

I wonder why it is plug&play in some cases and in other cases decoder or new headunit is needed. Anyone can clarify?

I think its down to whether the car has nav or not. I can only assume that the controller for the reverse camera lives in the nav unit for some reason and not in the entertainment unit. SE models that dont have nav cant seem to plug and play whereas others with the executive and up that have navigation can plug and play. Infact I managed to wire an aftermarket chinese camera to the factory connector in my executive without having to cut any factory wires or drill any holes.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/2/2023 at 3:16 PM, Strenoob11 said:

so i installed a cheap aliexpress camera to the original connector by tutorial from another forum. He had clear picture but i have these pixels on right side. It seems when obstacle comes closer they get worse. I am almost sure my connections are strong. May the camera be bad?

IMG_2014.jpeg

Hi! Could you share the tutorial? I also want to try this. 

1 hour ago, theFlatkiller said:

Hi! Could you share the tutorial? I also want to try this. 

Full thread is here. I did this too but your car needs to have the factory camera connector.

13 hours ago, Notamech said:

Full thread is here. I did this too but your car needs to have the factory camera connector.

Thank you so much! Mine has it... I will try it soon! Thank you again! 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links