Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Security.

Hi, Ive invested in a Disclok to protect my Takumi 250h which is a visible deterrent, but they can be removed evidently, So seriously looking at a Ghost alarm, not sure it defeats a Canbus attack, also i see there is an Obd lock, And i have a Faraday box at Home...... But surely the Manufacturer should be doing more, I understand RX sales are falling due to Insurance Companies refusing to insure them, Should the t onus should be on Lexus to beef up Security on their Vehicles? 

10 hours ago, Stompe said:

Hi, Ive invested in a Disclok to protect my Takumi 250h which is a visible deterrent, but they can be removed evidently, So seriously looking at a Ghost alarm, not sure it defeats a Canbus attack, also i see there is an Obd lock, And i have a Faraday box at Home...... But surely the Manufacturer should be doing more, I understand RX sales are falling due to Insurance Companies refusing to insure them, Should the t onus should be on Lexus to beef up Security on their Vehicles? 

As fast as security responds, the scumbags follow.  I’ve not heard sales are falling, I understand UXs are doing very well.  

The determined professional thief will be able to steal any car no matter what security devices are used. However, with any model of car that's sold in volume if you make it somewhat more difficult to steal than another down the road, 99% of the time your's will be safe. For this reason I think visible deterrents are more worthwhile than hidden deterrents like OBD locks. I've invested in a Stoplock Pro Elite which is certainly visible and substantial enough to delay the theft of my car. The main downside is that it's more cumbersome to fit than I'd expected because I'd not seen one before ordering it online.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roger Bill said:

The determined professional thief will be able to steal any car no matter what security devices are used. However, with any model of car that's sold in volume if you make it somewhat more difficult to steal than another down the road, 99% of the time your's will be safe. For this reason I think visible deterrents are more worthwhile than hidden deterrents like OBD locks. I've invested in a Stoplock Pro Elite which is certainly visible and substantial enough to delay the theft of my car. The main downside is that it's more cumbersome to fit than I'd expected because I'd not seen one before ordering it online.

Same concept as what do in the event of a zombie apocalyse...run !. You don't need to be the fastest, you just need to be faster than the slowest, or in this case more secure than your neighbours.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, Don C said:

As fast as security responds, the scumbags follow.  I’ve not heard sales are falling, I understand UXs are doing very well.  

Your Absolutely right

2 hours ago, Roger Bill said:

Milenco.. Looks much better and far Easier to fit  Just as good as the Stoplock Pro in my opinion...!!!

• Like 1

On 9/25/2023 at 8:55 AM, Stompe said:

one other thing to consider about the RX and insurance is that along with the CT they are a target for cat thefts and as the price would be over £1,000 to fit another they could be back unless you were to take other forms of prevention e.g a catloc, but how many would think of fitting one from new ( the car)

i attended 2 times to the same vehicle after the cat had been stolen.

On 9/25/2023 at 8:55 AM, Stompe said:

Hi, Ive invested in a Disclok to protect my Takumi 250h which is a visible deterrent, but they can be removed evidently,

I’ve had a couple of these and they’re pretty much the Gold Standard in steering wheel locks.  But as Milenco recently wrote to me, given time, equipment and a quiet location, any lock can be eventually defeated.

But using powerful cutting tools in a confined space is both noisy and dangerous - and every extra minute increases the risks.  Personally, I’m now looking at the Milenco bar, which claims to be as resistant as the Disklok but more convenient to use.

I like the concept of the Ghost-like systems.  But I think the mistake is to advertise their installation.  Ideally, the thief only discovers the possibility that the car has one after defeating the door and steering wheel locks and jumping the ignition lock.

Faced with an engine that just turns over, or stops after a few seconds, that’s when the possibility of a Ghost Immobiliser might occur - but that means starting all over again.  Many will give up at that point - and maybe come back at a later date!  Thieves go for the direct CANbus attack when they know such a system is already installed.

As I have posted elsewhere, for a competent DIYer the fitting of a ‘Kill Switch’ to the fuel pump seems an attractive proposition.  It produces the same result as a Ghost Immobiliser but is harder to bypass.

Ultimately, your car can always be loaded on to a trailer!  So security gates and Rising Posts come in to consideration.  And then your car disappears from the supermarket car park because you forgot to put the keys in the Faraday pouch!

Best solution - get something like an old Austin Allegro.  No-one ever wants to steal one of them!

• Like 1

On 9/26/2023 at 5:02 PM, Don C said:

If I leave mine in the garage while I go on holiday, I pull the IGN1 relay.  Unless they’re geared up with such things, it ain’t going anywhere.   

In the ‘Old Days’ removing the rotor arm from the distributor served the same function.  You just had to make sure you didn’t lose it!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, LenT said:

In the ‘Old Days’ removing the rotor arm from the distributor served the same function.  You just had to make sure you didn’t lose it!

I used to have a MkI Fiesta.  It had the coil mounted 6 inches from the dizzy cap so I’d often be sat in the cinema with the HT lead in my pocket.  

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links