Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Friday 13th - Puncture!!!

Unfortunately picked up a discarded tyre valve on the motorway today which punctured a tyre (NSR). Technology worked with the pressure monitor indicating a problem and showing the tyre pressure reducing by the minute. The Run Flats performed well and no adverse handling issues. Lexus Edinburgh responded swiftly however the tyre was deemed non-repairable due to the size of the hole so new tyre fitted. Typical Friday 13th!!! 

• Sad 4

34 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

I thought run-flats weren't repairable, full stop? Tyre shops can't determine if the carcass has been damaged due to excess speed or mileage whilst deflated.

Technically some can be repaired (once) but yes, the reality is that the repairer cannot determine how far or fast you have travelled on the unpressurised tyre and will therefore will not attempt a repair for not wanting to be associated with any potential future failure of the tyre.

• Like 2

On a more positive note I left my car with Gleaming Motors of Bideford this morning to get some stone chips touched up and a machine polish to remove some swirls etc & have a coating of wax prior to the weather getting worse. 

4/5 hours later and all done for £65 which I thought was a very reasonable price.

• Like 5

23 hours ago, Ken R said:

Unfortunately picked up a discarded tyre valve on the motorway today which punctured a tyre (NSR). Technology worked with the pressure monitor indicating a problem and showing the tyre pressure reducing by the minute. The Run Flats performed well and no adverse handling issues. Lexus Edinburgh responded swiftly however the tyre was deemed non-repairable due to the size of the hole so new tyre fitted. Typical Friday 13th!!! 

I had a puncture last February Ken and had to wait 4 days for a replacement tyre from Asda Glasgow. (I was visiting Glasgow). Did you get a replacement straight away?

• Like 1

On 10/13/2023 at 5:56 PM, Ken R said:

At least you got it all sorted quickly. I normally get a puncture on a Sunday night or a bank holiday Monday 🙄

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, hintonwood said:

I had a puncture last February Ken and had to wait 4 days for a replacement tyre from Asda Glasgow. (I was visiting Glasgow). Did you get a replacement straight away?

Yes. Fortunately I was close to Lexus Edinburgh, phoned ahead and they were ready and waiting for my arrival! They did indicate that a repair may be possible however after inspection it was deemed non repairable. They had Bridgestone Alenzas in stock so fitted a new one and I was on my way again in under an hour. I'm never keen on just fitting one new tyre - I'd rather fit in pairs - however at a 'top dollar' price and with c6mm tread on the opposite side I'll restrict it to one this time! I could have got the tyre significantly cheaper from other retailers however I wasn't prepared to wait for a minimum 4 days!

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Ken R said:

Yes. Fortunately I was close to Lexus Edinburgh, phoned ahead and they were ready and waiting for my arrival! They did indicate that a repair may be possible however after inspection it was deemed non repairable. They had Bridgestone Alenzas in stock so fitted a new one and I was on my way again in under an hour. I'm never keen on just fitting one new tyre - I'd rather fit in pairs - however at a 'top dollar' price and with c6mm tread on the opposite side I'll restrict it to one this time! I could have got the tyre significantly cheaper from other retailers however I wasn't prepared to wait for a minimum 4 days!

Hi Ken, how much did the tyre cost you?

I also have a slow puncture in a 20" rft, getting it changed tomorrow at my Lexus dealer,  was quoted £370 but got them down to £315 when I showed them the Asda price, ching ching.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Paul Mingay said:

Wow ,very expensive ,out of interest would my rx450h 2021 have run flats ?

I don't think RF's were an option on the 21MY RX. Personally I wouldn't have them given the expense! In their defence however I don't notice any significant deterioration in ride quality or increased noise and there was no adverse handling after the tyre deflated whilst travelling at motorway speeds 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Run flats are expensive and I was between a rock and a hard place given that my tyre was a write-off and other tyre retailers, while cheaper, didn't have stock for up to 4 days. Also forgot to claim my LOC discount! 😭

What was impressive was that the handling of the car was unaffected whilst the tyre rapidly deflated and the TPMS kept me fully informed.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links