Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Looking to purchase a SC430

Craig_f

28 minutes ago, Boomer54 said:

Marketplace – 2008 Lexus SC | Facebook

Interesting because of colour combo and year 2008. Not sure I have seen one of them before. Less interesting just the wrong side of good mileage for a car of this year and not sure the price really reflects that. In addition, the MOT history makes me think it's been owned with little spent for quite some time. Based in Dover for may be 10 years I would want to be very sure about what that undercarriage looked like. Leather looks a bit tired as well for the year ,but the mileage would explain that.

Still 2008, fairly rare?

It's driven 107k kms  .  it's in Dover, just been imported maybe !

Malc

11 minutes ago, Malc1 said:

It's driven 107k kms  .  it's in Dover, just been imported maybe !

Malc

Don't think it's been imported, but that close to sea air and judging by history of spend bet it has had no undercarriage treatment so definitely needs a long look. Won't be waxoyled like your undercarriage (sic).

my undercarriage is virginal I believe .......  never been touched by human nor other hand ......... nor spray apart from maybe sea-salt spray ..  so hope it's not " crusty " like me ! 😇

Malc

9 minutes ago, Malc1 said:

my undercarriage is virginal I believe .......  never been touched by human nor other hand ......... nor spray apart from maybe sea-salt spray ..  so hope it's not " crusty " like me ! 😇

Malc

I wish my undercarriage was viginal!

Had a look at the blue one in Dover yesterday.

107,000 miles. 2008.

Has been driven!

One too many scuffs and dinks and leather ok rather than good.

Probably has a good Lexus service record but actual evidence is scant. Last owner 12 years. OCD paperwork is not his forte.

Owner thinks it is a £12 grand car and that he is giving it away at 10. He is a Lexus lover and plans to replace it with an LS.

Good Pirellis , brand new windscreen, original patched exhaust.

10 minutes ago, Mossypossy said:

107,000 miles. 2008.

Has been driven!

Probably has a good Lexus service record but actual evidence is scant. Last owner 12 years. OCD paperwork is not his forte.

Owner thinks it is a £12 grand car and that he is giving it away at 10. He is a Lexus lover and plans to replace it with an LS.

For £10k in my view you want a lot of future proofing. Money spent on major stuff, solid underneath, and bodywork in good nick with plenty of paperwork. I know I wouldn't settle for less than that. £12k cars are just not selling very well even from dealers who might give you some warranty cover. If the seller needs to be told that then frankly they have not done much market research so so much for 'giving it away'.

Did you get a look underneath?

1 hour ago, Mossypossy said:

107,000 miles. 2008.

Has been driven!

Good Pirellis , brand new windscreen, original patched exhaust.

The retired mechanic in me can see potential with this car, it’s ‘young’ metal in terms of the SC430 production times.

Most used cars have had paintwork done, it just wether the new owner knows it’s been done .

my last mint sc430, full Lexus history , 46k on the clock , outstanding in every respect but on speaking to the workshop manager a few months later about sparks should have been changed last service …he said he remembers the car , it had bonnet, wing, both bumpers paint while it was at the workshop !…yet I couldn’t tell .

So its okay to get bodywork done, it’s just about how much it cost and how good they are at doing it .

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Bob King said:

The retired mechanic in me can see potential with this car, it’s ‘young’ metal in terms of the SC430 production times.

Most used cars have had paintwork done, it just wether the new owner knows it’s been done .

my last mint sc430, full Lexus history , 46k on the clock , outstanding in every respect but on speaking to the workshop manager a few months later about sparks should have been changed last service …he said he remembers the car , it had bonnet, wing, both bumpers paint while it was at the workshop !…yet I couldn’t tell .

So its okay to get bodywork done, it’s just about how much it cost and how good they are at doing it .

I agree, mine as been resprayed and I am happy about that. With the above car though, can you really justify £10k and then have to start may be spending at least another few thousand doing things the current owner might have done had they wished to preserve value. On  mine Stew paid for all that and I happily paid him back to some extent.

This is an issue I have seen with property many times over the years. Basically, someone buys a house, camps in it, spends nothing and then thinks they can sell it for the same value as a property that has been well maintained with all that that implies. Similar story with cars by the look of it.

3 minutes ago, Bob King said:

The old fellow selling it is just looking at prices of others for sale, not the fact his wants paintwork and interior leather refurbished .

Then he will have to find out about market dynamics the hard way

9 minutes ago, Mossypossy said:

I think he will come round eventually.....like the guy on Hayling Island who thinks using a local garage constitutes a service history to die for with his 14 grand 2005 car.

Nice looking car that one., but as he is finding out £14k is probably too rich for the market. Had it had many recent upgrades ,exhaust, suspension, brakes and so on? Assuming you might have seen it.

The Red south London car looks good ..although it has a set of Chinese "ditch finder" tyres on it ! And god knows why the rear fog lamps have had chrome trim fitted around them 😮

very desirable colour combination .

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202308211052506

Read some of the dealers feed back…very helpful before the sale , then once paid for they drop you like a hot brick !

10 minutes ago, Bob King said:

The Red south London car looks good ..although it has a set of Chinese "ditch finder" tyres on it ! And god knows why the rear fog lamps have had chrome trim fitted around them 😮

very desirable colour combination .

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202308211052506

Read some of the dealers feed back…very helpful before the sale , then once paid for they drop you like a hot brick !

Doesn't really help that they repeat themselves in the blurb and use 100 pics ,but cannot find room for any of them to be of the undercarriage. Plenty of polish and shiny tyre, but what's the exhaust and other important stuff really like? Pass.

1 hour ago, Mossypossy said:

I think he will come round eventually.....like the guy on Hayling Island who thinks using a local garage constitutes a service history to die for with his 14 grand 2005 car.

It's not blue but the one at Hayling Island looks nice. It says 'loved' but it hasn't had much of a life on the road so the service history counts for very little as it hasn't gone very far in 12 years to wear anything out. It's more a matter of what may have decayed, seized or perished through lack of use. If it has always been kept in a warm garage that would help. Tyres and sensors replaced, exhaust was blowing a while ago. I would be looking at shocks, brakes, radiator, bushes, belts too but £14k for a 2005 SC seems very expensive. My 2006 was £8k in 2014.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Mossypossy said:

Also.

Pay 14k for a 2005 car. Can you get an agreed value for insurance purposes?

I think that is a very fair point and 2005 notwithstanding the Insurer will have a market value range and if this falls outside of it what happens if you ever have to claim.

I tried classic insurance with my latest SC, being a 2007 they just laughed !

Think the quote came back at over £700 !

My current insurance came up trumps with multi cover at £165 😎

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links