Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Multiple Rattle noises, offset steering and fuel comsumptiom

Hello,

I picked up my new 450h 2 weeks ago immediately noticed a rattle on rough A roads.  Went in on Monday and dealer fixed it as could not hear it on way home (A pillar drivers side). The next trip which was about 80 miles and the longest so far I noticed a new  sound coming from in front of me when at motorway speeds on rough roads (possibly dash or steering column), also now getting used to the car the steering wheel is slightly offset.

This is booked into the dealer again for a couple of weeks to investigate, slightly frustrating on a new car and wonder what else may start working loose.

Finally, appreciate the engine has only done a few miles but fuel consumption is currently in low 30s, has anyone else noticed this and have an idea of when this will start to improve ?

• Sad 2

Hello David, my NX350h AWD does 45 - 68 mpg ( Derbyshire hills ) and did improve after the first month and is still improving at 6 weeks old. I'm not sure if it's me running in the engine or my right foot learning hybrib mode, I use ECO mode 99% of the time only using normal to climb steep hills and then not pushing it hard. hope that helps.

• Like 1

Hi @Richolf. I can't really comment accurately on the fuel consumption as I have the 350h - but I usually achieve high 40s commuting to work and it'll happily tip over 50mpg on a run. It's only up to 1500 miles at the moment, so I think it's still early days in terms of getting the best from it. My previous car, a UX, took several thousand miles before I started getting anywhere close to book figures. 

Out of curiosity, one notable 'fault' I have on mine which I've yet to report (my dealer is probably one of the worst you'll find from Lexus in Britain, so I've not bothered...) is that my steering wheel whilst travelling 'straight ahead' is slightly off to the left. It has been since day one. I'll be interested to hear if yours in the same. The car drives perfectly fine. Straight and true. It's literally just the steering wheel which is off-centre to the left slightly. 

22 hours ago, Richolf said:

Hello,

I picked up my new 450h 2 weeks ago immediately noticed a rattle on rough A roads.  Went in on Monday and dealer fixed it as could not hear it on way home (A pillar drivers side). The next trip which was about 80 miles and the longest so far I noticed a new  sound coming from in front of me when at motorway speeds on rough roads (possibly dash or steering column), also now getting used to the car the steering wheel is slightly offset.

What tyres are on your car, I noticed something similar and complained to the supplying dealer who checked the suspension etc. and said nothing was wrong. Over time the noise disappeared. Then when I got new front tyres it has come back. Car was supplied with Yokohamas and front tyres replaced with these. So wondering if its something to do with the tyres.

Fuel consumption shouldn't be in the low 30's! I have owned a 450h since March 22 and have recorded every fill of fuel and charge over 15000 miles. Converting the electricity costs to the current petrol costs at each refill, the lowest I have recorded in any period was in January this year with 37.62mpg and the highest 64.22mpg. Average overall is 49.78mpg.

• Like 2

I am embarrassed to ask this, but here goes. I have a 450H+ and I cannot find any way of finding the MPG when running on ICE, only an MPG on both electric and ICE. Is there a way to find petrol MPG without logging refuels etc?

I don't have a rattle but I do have an occasional "buzz" like a high frequency rattle which I think is on the passenger side and the passenger thinks is from the drivers side.

Hello David,

'My' (company car) UXe had a rattle from the same area and it also appeared on rough, broken A roads. As the car is generally very quiet, it was especially noticeable. A UX Hybrid courtesy car also had the same issue so I do wonder if it's a more general fault.

The dealer (Lexus Hedge End) put more felt/ padding in the UXe and it's been sorted- for now anyway. They were very helpful and receptive to getting it fixed and I hope you get your issue resolved too.

I looked at a NX Plug-In when the car was in for it's last service- Terrane Khaki with tan interior and it looked great.

• Like 1

I think my calculations for fuel were off in that I was calculating purely the petrol miles driven and fuel based on that without any allowance for additional hybrid use.  Unfortunately the only trip I have done so far without a full Battery was from the dealer and that one was not recorded.

23 hours ago, Hayzee said:

When you switch it to HEV mode it will show current trip MPG

Thanks Hayzee. If I had used the correct terminology my question would have been easier to write and clearer for readers. I may have a different version of software on my car since my MPG displayed in-car has never dropped below 80, which I do not believe is the true HEV MPG.

However I have discovered that on the app you can see the MPG for individual trips. I just did a 5 mile test in HEV and while the car displayed 86.6 MPG the app gave a more believable 43.2 MPG.

On 10/27/2023 at 4:04 PM, Hayzee said:

When you switch it to HEV mode it will show current trip MPG

When I switch to HEV it shows the average MPG - is there a switch / setting for trip mpg

the average is nonsense as when I got the car it was showing over 100 mpg for the 1st month and is now dropping every with every use ( now down to 72)

12 minutes ago, HMT said:

When I switch to HEV it shows the average MPG - is there a switch / setting for trip mpg

the average is nonsense as when I got the car it was showing over 100 mpg for the 1st month and is now dropping every with every use ( now down to 72)

You can scroll and see the trip MPG

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links