Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

A Funny Thing Happened To Me On The Way To The Tyre Centre!

Nigel Coleman

So my SC430 came with a set of new tyres on 19 inch split rim alloys as well as a stainless steel exhaust.

Since winters coming I decided to take my car to the local Tyre  Centre for a free tyre pressure check/test ( I also wanted to know what the correct tyre pressure to keep them at?)

I had not really looked closely at the wheels before. I drove in and the young mechanic came over with the air hose but then he started to scratch his head? "Where is the valve" he said. I looked down at the wheel and I also could not see any valve!

After a few minutes a senior mechanic came across and pointed out that on split rim alloys that the valve is behind one of the numerous hex bolts going around the wheel - it's the one with a slot for a flat head screwdriver and arrow showing the turn direction.

The lad looked somewhat embarrassed (and I had learned something) and applied the air hose but it would not fit - an adapter was required. The lad looked concerned again so as the tyres were not looking flat I told him "not to worry" and said leave it.

I then drove over to Lidl and purchased a cordless car compressor pump with 4 adapters for £29.99 and will do it myself once I find out the correct pressure?

....................."You learn something new everyday".

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Nigel Coleman said:

So my SC430 came with a set of new tyres on 19 inch split rim alloys as well as a stainless steel exhaust.

Since winters coming I decided to take my car to the local Tyre  Centre for a free tyre pressure check/test ( I also wanted to know what the correct tyre pressure to keep them at?)

I had not really looked closely at the wheels before. I drove in and the young mechanic came over with the air hose but then he started to scratch his head? "Where is the valve" he said. I looked down at the wheel and I also could not see any valve!

After a few minutes a senior mechanic came across and pointed out that on split rim alloys that the valve is behind one of the numerous hex bolts going around the wheel - it's the one with a slot for a flat head screwdriver and arrow showing the turn direction.

The lad looked somewhat embarrassed (and I had learned something) and applied the air hose but it would not fit - an adapter was required. The lad looked concerned again so as the tyres were not looking flat I told him "not to worry" and said leave it.

I then drove over to Lidl and purchased a cordless car compressor pump with 4 adapters for £29.99 and will do it myself once I find out the correct pressure?

....................."You learn something new everyday".

How long did it actually take to add air to four tyres. !!

As I notice the following wording in the Lidl device instructions: 

• One Battery charge for inflating is sufficient for 1 car tyre 225/55 R16 from 1.5 bar to 2.5 bar /2 motorcycle tyres 2.75- 18 from 0 bar to 2.2 bar / 4 bicycle tyres 20 x 1.75 from 0 bar to 4.1 bar

or can you plug this into the mains for continuous power and air !

41 minutes ago, Peter1208 said:

…As I notice the following wording in the Lidl device instructions: 

• One battery charge for inflating is sufficient for 1 car tyre 225/55 R16 from 1.5 bar to 2.5 bar /2 motorcycle tyres 2.75- 18 from 0 bar to 2.2 bar / 4 bicycle tyres 20 x 1.75 from 0 bar to 4.1 bar

I’ve seen similar texts for several inexpensive brands of cordless compressors sold in supermarkets, and they have always prevented me from buying one to keep in the boot “just in case”.  But if you think about it, the likelihood that you will ever need to inflate more than one tyre on any given occasion is not high.

On 10/28/2023 at 11:10 AM, Nigel Coleman said:

and pointed out that on split rim alloys that the valve is behind one of the numerous hex bolts going around the wheel

Very interesting.  Not something I’ve ever come across either.

On 10/28/2023 at 11:10 AM, Nigel Coleman said:

will do it myself once I find out the correct pressure?

I take it that a Manual didn’t come with the car.  But there should be a tyre pressure label on one of the front door pillars.

Failing that, check the tyre maker’s website.

3 hours ago, LenT said:

Very interesting.  Not something I’ve ever come across either.

I take it that a Manual didn’t come with the car.  But there should be a tyre pressure label on one of the front door pillars.

Failing that, check the tyre maker’s website.

I have Work 2 piece Alloy wheels and the hole in the rim for the valve to fit is behind the centre  of the wheel.  They use a right angled extended valve to give access from the front of the wheel. This does mean you are never going to be able to refit the standard TPMS valves.

As far as a a cordless air compressor is concerned I bought one of these when they were available which works very well and so far I have had to recharge it as it has a reasonable size battery  https://www.aldi.co.uk/12v-cordless-mini-air-compressor/p/808783560995201

I run my 19" Michelin Sport 4s tyres at 33psi all round.

• Like 1

Yes Glyn, when I removed the centre gear change wood trim to recolour my leather I found that the TPMS module (just below the stereo unit) had been unplugged to disable the TPMS warning light on the dash. Obviously the TPMS valves would also not work with my 19 inch rims.

4 hours ago, Nigel Coleman said:

Yes Len, I've looked at the door label but I was thinking those pressures are for standard 18 inch wheels that come with the car? Would it be the same when the wheels are changed to 19 inch ones?

Unfortunately Nigel, the Manual for my IS250 only covers 16”, 17” and 18” wheels.  I have 18 “ wheels.

But if it’s any help, the recommended pressure from cold is a constant 36psi irrespective of tyre size.  In other words, there seems no change in recommended pressures with wheel size.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links