Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Brake Squeal

ISD2000

Dear all,

Several months ago, I began experiencing a recurring issue with the brakes of my vehicle. Specifically, I noticed a squealing noise whenever I applied the brakes at low speeds < 10 mph. Initially, I sought the assistance of my local mechanic, who informed me that the brakes were worn and needed to be repaired. This came as a surprise to me, as I only drive circa 12,000 miles per year, most of which consists of motorway driving.

Since I was due for a major service at my local Lexus dealer, I decided to have them examine the brakes and address the noise issue. I explained the situation to the technician, who determined that the front brake pads were missing a shim kit, causing the aforementioned noise (yes I had to google it) 🙂. Additionally, the technician informed me that the brakes were not OEM parts. Given their expert or so I though recommendation, I decided to have the brakes and discs replaced, despite the hefty cost of £330. 

Unfortunately, within a a couple of days, the squealing noise returned, much to my disappointment. As a result, I scheduled another appointment with the dealer today. They provided me with the customary video of my car on the ramp, and their mechanic narrated he had cleaned the brakes, both front and back. However, they now attribute the noise to two potential causes: 1) chemicals from a car wash that have made their way onto the disc pads, and 2) the notion that this noise is common among hybrid vehicles (which seems like a convenient excuse).

I have owned the vehicle for five years and have not made any changes to my driving habits or the way in which the car is washed or maintained (full Lexus service history). Prior to this year, I never encountered any issues with the brakes.

I have attached a video depicting the noise for your reference. Any assistance in resolving this matter would be greatly appreciated.

1 hour ago, ISD2000 said:

Dear all,

Several months ago, I began experiencing a recurring issue with the brakes of my vehicle. Specifically, I noticed a squealing noise whenever I applied the brakes at low speeds < 10 mph. Initially, I sought the assistance of my local mechanic, who informed me that the brakes were worn and needed to be repaired. This came as a surprise to me, as I only drive circa 12,000 miles per year, most of which consists of motorway driving.

Since I was due for a major service at my local Lexus dealer, I decided to have them examine the brakes and address the noise issue. I explained the situation to the technician, who determined that the front brake pads were missing a shim kit, causing the aforementioned noise (yes I had to google it) 🙂. Additionally, the technician informed me that the brakes were not OEM parts. Given their expert or so I though recommendation, I decided to have the brakes and discs replaced, despite the hefty cost of £330. 

Unfortunately, within a a couple of days, the squealing noise returned, much to my disappointment. As a result, I scheduled another appointment with the dealer today. They provided me with the customary video of my car on the ramp, and their mechanic narrated he had cleaned the brakes, both front and back. However, they now attribute the noise to two potential causes: 1) chemicals from a car wash that have made their way onto the disc pads, and 2) the notion that this noise is common among hybrid vehicles (which seems like a convenient excuse).

I have owned the vehicle for five years and have not made any changes to my driving habits or the way in which the car is washed or maintained (full Lexus service history). Prior to this year, I never encountered any issues with the brakes.

I have attached a video depicting the noise for your reference. Any assistance in resolving this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Just bear in mind I am part deaf, but I don't hear any squealing noise. I hear some 'clunking'. Have you had a look at rotors?

It happens with mine if I leave it parked with handbrake on for a couple of days. I think the cable may stick a little.

I have a tendency to just leave it in park where possible ( I know, getting on the naughty step 😄) but have found giving the handbrake pedal a regular couple of pumps on and off cures the problem and keeps it free.

Although I cannot hear noise on your video (I am also a deaf old man).  I had similar with my LS over a number of years, went through not using OEM, then OEM, and new shims etc.

Still even to the end would get a squeak - usually after the car had been standing for half hour (at least) but the squeak lasted less the none second so gave up worrying about it.  I always tried to remember to put car in park or handbrake after stopping at lights (to minimise any pad deposits on the disc) and always on handbrake for overnight parking etc.  

So I had a squeak for about the last 50K miles I owned the car.

I have the same noise. It only makes that noise just before I come to a complete stop so at slow or slowing down speed. When I bought the car it didn't make that noise but it did after a month or so. I went back and had it checked out by the dealer I bought the car from and they put some grease on the front brakepads. The sound went away for a month or so and then it came back again.

Had my car serviced at another (Toyota)garage and asked them what it was and they said it's "normal" or at least common for the CT but nothing was wrong or needed to be fixed. I did find some posts online and forums with a similar problem and from what i understand is that in the worst case it is the brake actuator which is starting to fail. I hope not because that's an expensive part to replace.

It's been 3 years since I got this car and it still has that noise but brakes work fine.

3 minutes ago, MartsCT200 said:

It's been 3 years since I got this car and it still has that noise but brakes work fine.

You need to do some hard braking 60-10 mph to clean the pads/discs and correctly transfer pad material to the disc surface. You on'y get the sound as the vehicle stops because above 5 mph most of the braking is electrical regen rather than from the mechanical brakes.

Toyota OEM are typically noisy and create lots of dust. For a CT consider replacing with EBC Greenstuff pads.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links