Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Supermarket parking course

Boomer54

I too try to park defensively, then you come back to the car and find two battered bangers parked either side of you.

I like the old insurance ad showing a car owned by a careful owner being hit by a meteorite.

Surely this image cannot be right? It says cab hit by meteorite in London???

Meteorite Crashes Into London Cab - Universe Today

• Haha 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/15/2023 at 11:13 AM, Boomer54 said:

This is how we do it. Before and after.

Actually anyone got some interesting pics of supermarket parking, theirown car , or indeed others post them up here.

sup before.jpg

Sup after.jpg

That must be an AI generated photo. No way you had so many sensible people parking at the same time…! 😄 

• 2 weeks later...

I've chosen where I park for years not just to protect the car from dings but to get more exercise. Most people like to park as close to a supermarket entrance (or anywhere else) as possible I do the opposite parking as far away as possible. If I can't do this then I choose what type of vehicle I park by.  When I had a sports car I would never park by a SUV as they are so much higher the chance of a door ding I felt was more of a risk.

Awhile ago I was chatting with some friends about the fact that I would get back to the car and there would be loads of empty places around where I was parked but someone would be parked next to me. A female friend said that she was not very good at parking so always parked next to another car as that helped her to judge her position in the bay. Now before you all say anything I'm a woman too and perhaps some male drivers do the same as my friend. There are good and bad drivers irrespective of whatever gender they identify as (careful use of words on my part here !!)

After my friend comment I have employed another technique in car parks. I try to find an end spot by a kerb (or bollards) then park as close as possible so I'm well over in the space. It also means at least one side of the car is protected. Like Boomer parking at the edge is a good idea as it means you don't get people walking in-between parked cars - think bag buckles etc.

On another note - I was in a pub car park in my previous car, had just got out but was getting stuff out the boot. Another driver was attending to get in the space by me & I had to tap on car bonnet to stop  it from going into the side of me. She was very apologetic saying she wasn't very good at parking & gratefully accepted my offer to park the car for her. Needless to say I popped back after a couple of minutes & moved my car elsewhere. 

Surely someone has made a cotton wool cover that I can wrap my car up in !!!! 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

I’ve always thought that the type of vehicle you drive and park in a supermarket car park has a profound affect on the drivers’ of other vehicles choosing to park near to you.

IMG_1110.jpeg

I can't match that ,but once upon a time my favourite drive was a 1959 LWB Land Rover and I can say people did not take liberties with me when I was behind that wheel.

On 11/15/2023 at 11:13 AM, Boomer54 said:

This is how we do it. Before and after.

Actually anyone got some interesting pics of supermarket parking, theirown car , or indeed others post them up here.

sup before.jpg

Sup after.jpg

The Golden rule Stephen...DON,T Park next To The Hillbillies ( The Clampets ) Or Really Old cars Hanging with Stickers Flags and Encrusted with RUST Just Love where you,ve parked.. Spot On..!!

• Thanks 1

I’m surprised that as part of the theory driving test one of the subjects in the “Hazard Perception” section isn’t based in a supermarket car park.

Things like an errant unsecured shopping trolley about to gain substantial momentum on the slight but significant downhill slope, a BMW ( other German marques are available) straddling 2 or more spaces, pedestrians totally unaware of the queue of cars behind them as they walk towards the store entrance, drivers completely ignoring one way instructions, give way lines and pedestrian crossings.

Add in the massive queue at the connected filling station backing up onto the only access road to save 2p a litre and your supermarket experience is complete.

Just popping up to my local Sainsbury’s now, with the snow they’re offering a skid control course around the  little used area of the car park if they can get the driver of a single Lexus SC430 to move first.😀

• Haha 2

Manic in the local supermarket this morning, I parked in my usual spot well away from anyone else.

As I walked in a woman pushing her trolley missed scraping the front bumper of a high end Porsche with her trolley by about 2mm and I thought to myself, yes that's why I park up the corner.

All supermarket trollies would fail the MOT on excessive play in the steering (dangerous section 6 iii), excessive play in wheel bearings (dangerous section 4 iv) and brake efficiency below minimum standards ( more dangerous as they don’t have any section 2 (b).

Customer Advice.

If you get to the supermarket at this busy time of year and find there are no trollies available try looking in the local streams, rivers and canals. Hooks and ropes are available on aisle 2.

• Haha 5

I was having a bit of a bad day when I parked at my local LeClerc supermarket in France. I came back to the car to find a man parked next to me trying to stuff a box onto the back seat of his car. His car back door was rubbing against the side of my car and had taken some paint off already. When I asked him what the **** he was doing and that I wanted his insurance details he blankly said that it was not him that had made the paint scuffs and small dent and refused.

To cut a long story short when I had him by the throat on the floor his wife started screaming for the Police. Would you believe it? There wasn't even any blood! So, I gave up and left the place just after the large crowd had gathered.

I have calmed down a bit now, it is better for my blood pressure.

BTW - Avoid parking next to a car with kids in the back seat. They will fling the door open regardless.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, steve2006 said:

If you get to the supermarket at this busy time of year and find there are no trollies available try looking in the local streams, rivers and canals

An acceptable shopping trolley substitute many years ago, was to look for a handy Skoda.  It was also said in those days they were equally likely to be found in local streams, rivers and canals.  😊

I am LED to believe that this is no longer the case.

6 minutes ago, GMB said:

I was having a bit of a bad day when I parked at my local LeClerc supermarket in France. I came back to the car to find a man parked next to me trying to stuff a box onto the back seat of his car. His car back door was rubbing against the side of my car and had taken some paint off already. When I asked him what the **** he was doing and that I wanted his insurance details he blankly said that it was not him that had made the paint scuffs and small dent and refused.

To cut a long story short when I had him by the throat on the floor his wife started screaming for the Police. Would you believe it? There wasn't even any blood! So, I gave up and left the place just after the large crowd had gathered.

I have calmed down a bit now, it is better for my blood pressure.

BTW - Avoid parking next to a car with kids in the back seat. They will fling the door open regardless.

I cannot stand in judgement. In days of yore before I became the kind hearted tolerant individual I am today I did jump out on a large roundabout of stationary traffic and yank a driver out of his Jaguar to remonstrate with him over forcing me into the kerb on the previous junction. Thank the lord that we have found 'jesus' in our advancing years.

1 minute ago, Boomer54 said:

Thank the lord that we have found 'jesus' in our advancing years

I could not agree more. I blame it on the hormones.  The older you get the closer you get ( To Jesus I mean ) Or if you have not been a good person you might be getting closer to someone or something else:devil2:

I have several of the issues mentioned in this thread as my LC has very long doors and I can't get out in a "normal" parking space next to other cars. I also drive round looking for a wider space or one where someone cannot block my driver's door. This is a problem with all the 2 door coupes that I have owned (Aston DB9, Merc CL500 etc.)

I saw one interesting comment in another forum about reserved wide spaces in car parks to the effect that they do not need to be near the doors of the supermarket etc. as, once you have got your wheelchair or pushchair out of the car and loaded your passenger up, you are then fully ambulant and can travel a bit further to the shops. It also said that only people with physical disabilities requiring wheelchair use should be allowed to use Blue Badge spaces and not the "not all disabilities are visible" brigade.

12 minutes ago, Bob King said:

Done that with my previous SC430 👍🏻…..say no to door banging ✊🏻✊🏻

IMG_6175.jpeg

Metaphor for life in my experience. The willingness to 'go a bit further' than others usually gets rewarded if in this case the reward is your car emerges unscathed.

1 hour ago, malcolmw said:

I have several of the issues mentioned in this thread as my LC has very long doors and I can't get out in a "normal" parking space next to other cars. I also drive round looking for a wider space or one where someone cannot block my driver's door. This is a problem with all the 2 door coupes that I have owned (Aston DB9, Merc CL500 etc.)

I saw one interesting comment in another forum about reserved wide spaces in car parks to the effect that they do not need to be near the doors of the supermarket etc. as, once you have got your wheelchair or pushchair out of the car and loaded your passenger up, you are then fully ambulant and can travel a bit further to the shops. It also said that only people with physical disabilities requiring wheelchair use should be allowed to use Blue Badge spaces and not the "not all disabilities are visible" brigade.

True, and yet some supermarkets (in my experiece Lidl, Costco, Morrisons and Asda) seem to manage wide enough parking spaces for all.

1 hour ago, Boomer54 said:

I cannot stand in judgement. In days of yore before I became the kind hearted tolerant individual I am today I did jump out on a large roundabout of stationary traffic and yank a driver out of his Jaguar to remonstrate with him over forcing me into the kerb on the previous junction. Thank the lord that we have found 'jesus' in our advancing years.

To be fair, Jesus' dad would still smote the motherfudger, with great vengeance, and furious anger.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bluemarlin said:

To be fair, Jesus' dad would still smote the motherfudger, with great vengeance, and furious anger.

To be fair when it registered he was about 80 yrs old and one twitch away from an heart attack I put him gently back into his seat.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Boomer54 said:

To be fair when it registered he was about 80 yrs old and one twitch away from an heart attack I put him gently back into his seat.

You played the old Christianity one two perfectly, where life is like being farked by God, and then cuddled by Jesus 🙂

1 minute ago, Bluemarlin said:

You played the old Christianity one two perfectly, where life is like being farked by God, and then cuddled by Jesus 🙂

I know the first bit very well ( f* 'd by God) but have yet to experience the latter. Maybe one day.........🥰

• Haha 1

I too choose my space very carefully.  Preferably an end space so I get just one car beside me. The ideal car to choose as a car park neighbour is a small Japanese or Korean car as they are usually owned by very sensible, careful older people. Obviously avoid Audis,Bmw's and Range Rovers at all times 

4 hours ago, steve2006 said:

All supermarket trollies would fail the MOT on excessive play in the steering (dangerous section 6 iii), excessive play in wheel bearings (dangerous section 4 iv) and brake efficiency below minimum standards ( more dangerous as they don’t have any section 2 (b).

Customer Advice.

If you get to the supermarket at this busy time of year and find there are no trollies available try looking in the local streams, rivers and canals. Hooks and ropes are available on aisle 2.

My local Aldi always short of the smaller trolleys ……. asking a couple of days ago why, where are they all , clearly not in the shop with customers ….. simple answer she says …… they get stolen and scrapped ……. what a Society we live in eh ! ……. and of course I s’pose lots end up in streams etc too …… or maybe that’s where the upmarket Waitrose one’s end up ……. gone fishing 😢

Malc 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links