Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RC-F exhaust heat shields

Bit random but recently the heat shield above the right hand exhaust backbox came loose & rested on the top of exhaust, it had 4 mounting points but they had all corroded away so it was 100% loose but not in danger of falling off the car, is this sort of thing common on these? Cheap replacement though. 

31 minutes ago, RadicalCoupe-Fuji said:

Bit random but recently the heat shield above the right hand exhaust backbox came loose & rested on the top of exhaust, it had 4 mounting points but they had all corroded away so it was 100% loose but not in danger of falling off the car, is this sort of thing common on these? Cheap replacement though. 

The backbox heat shield on my 08 RX fell off somewhere unbeknown to me but the mechanic said its not really an issue as the backbox never gets that hot unless you lived in the tropics.

Both sides of my RCF, have had loose and corroded heat shield just around mounting holes…. I just undid nut and put a big washer to cover hole and retightened up… that was 2-3yrs ago and no problem since

A few years ago, at about 220k miles, the seemingly vestigial ( over engineered ) heat shields on my 95 Ls400 had their “ end of life “ and disposed of 

Now on 247k miles and none the worse for the loss ! 

You might be as “ lucky “ 

Malc 

6 hours ago, RadicalCoupe-Fuji said:

Think it’s relatively common on everything!  The aluminium corrodes at an accelerated rate, I can only assume due to the use of salt on the roads.

Wifes 2018 Range Rover needs a new one and contemplating just removing it….

On 11/16/2023 at 10:51 AM, RadicalCoupe-Fuji said:

the heat shield above the right hand exhaust backbox came loose & rested on the top of exhaust

Yes, I had the same issue.

Mine dropped off last year  ( The heat shield I mean! ) A big washer fixed it ( No I don't mean the wife ).

It's called Galvanic corrosion. You'd think they would have thought of that and used rubber isolating washers wouldn't you.😲

• Like 1

I seem to remember on the LS400 the retaining nuts are 8mm so give them a good dose of penetrating fluid overnight before trying to remove them or you could snap the stud.

”Penny” washers do the job of refitting.

11 hours ago, RadicalCoupe-Fuji said:

...to be fair all the old cars I've owned were jdm imports so spent most of their life not on uk roads. Has anyone had underseal done on their cars?

Both mine are just “ factory finish “ underside, lived outdoors by the sea and covered some 350k miles in the UK ….. no inkling of anything other than usual acceptable aged weathering  

Robust usual aged Ls400s though 

Malc 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links