Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

500% rise in thefts=Lexus

Bluethunder

3 minutes ago, Bluethunder said:

According to LV the brand with the biggest rise in theft is Lexus! Take extra security measures everyone.

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/1841976/vehicle-theft-increase-crime-lexus-toyota

insurance quotes are high on the RX when i checked.

On another note, if it helps some who own the RX or other models liable to be stolen, I came across the new Nextbase smart dash cams that connect to the cloud and film front and back and cockpit and send video to the cloud.  Has loads of other notification features so if someone is dicking around you may get a notification. I am considering getting one for that extra level of protection.

Back in October when I stayed over in a hotel for two nights, I had to park my NX a good 10/15 minute walk away from where I was staying. I have to admit, my heart was in my throat when I made my way back to the car - just hoping it was still there. It's not really something you should have to worry about.

I've recently reverted back to using an old-fashioned crook-lock. Fortunately, I kept hold of the one I had in my garage for a number of years. It's not something I thought I'd have to do with a Lexus, but here we are... I've just read too many horror stories now, of thefts and attempted thefts which has spurred me into taking some action. 

I'll be treating myself to a new Faraday pouch (probably at Christmas) too - as my existing one is over three and a half years old now and looking quite tired. 

I have to admit I'm not looking forward to insurance renewal time... 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gary H said:

I'll be treating myself to a new faraday pouch

Biscuit tin. Even bacofoil aluminium wrap will do it. It is a simple screen for the radio waves. Ask any shoplifter why they line their bags with it. Faraday pouches are a waste of money. My physics teacher could tell you why.

Try this - wrap your key in it and see if it will open your door....

• Like 1

Oh the irony. Years ago i dumped my BMW after the third breakin and total clean out of the cabin. Steering wheel, aircon, satnav, controllers all gone. My logic then was to go for a brand that has low sales thus no market for spare parst e.g. Lexus. I bought an IS300H and drove if for 4 yrs without any attempt to break in or worse. Happy days.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GMB said:

Biscuit tin. Even bacofoil aluminium wrap will do it. It is a simple screen for the radio waves. Ask any shoplifter why they line their bags with it. Faraday pouches are a waste of money. My physics teacher could tell you why.

Try this - wrap your key in it and see if it will open your door....

Ok, well I report having wrapped my key  I could not even get my key to fit into my mortice lock so I think you are onto something, or may be just on something.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Think I’m going to get a steering wheel lock, 1990’s style!

Keys already live in a Faraday pouch, in a metal tin, in the hope this prevents a relay attack.

Does double locking the car rather than just pressing the door handle once make any difference to defence against these attacks?

As for attacks which target the ECU, short of disconnecting the 12v Battery I can’t think how you could defend against that. A steering lock is the best I can think of, as a visual deterrent that there are easier pickings elsewhere.

Disk lock or bar lock? thoughts?

Also, if your car gets nicked, would you be able to see where it is via the Lexus Link+ app journey history?

9 minutes ago, Jim1977 said:

Keys already live in a faraday pouch, in a metal tin, in the hope this prevents a relay attack.

Does double locking the car rather than just pressing the door handle once make any difference to defence against these attacks?

As for attacks which target the ECU, short of disconnecting the 12v battery I can’t think how you could defend against that. A steering lock is the best I can think of, as a visual deterrent that there are easier pickings elsewhere.

Also, if your car gets nicked, would you be able to see where it is via the Lexus Link+ app journey history?

I had a bar lock on my stolen, recovered ES, they just cut straight through the steering wheel so causing even more damage. FWIW I would get the diskloc, I am getting one for my next car

35 minutes ago, Derant said:

I had a bar lock on my stolen, recovered ES, they just cut straight through the steering wheel so causing even more damage. FWIW I would get the diskloc, I am getting one for my next car

Wow, I guess if they really want it there is no stopping them. Diskloc advice gratefully received 👍

4 hours ago, Jim1977 said:

Keys already live in a faraday pouch, in a metal tin, in the hope this prevents a relay attack.

Test your Faraday cage by walking up to the car and see if the key is recognised (whilst in the tin / pouch).

Double locking will have zero impact on a Relay or Canbus attack, but will help prevent access from a window being smashed.

3 hours ago, Spock66 said:

Test your Faraday cage by walking up to the car and see if the key is recognised (whilst in the tin / pouch).

Double locking will have zero impact on a Relay or Canbus attack, but will help prevent access from a window being smashed.

Thank you, we bought new pouches when the car arrived a few weeks ago. The old ones still worked but have read they can fail over time with wear. Standing next to the car, with the key in the pouch and my hand on the door handle, nothing happens as you’d hope. I only had to open the flap on the pouch and the car opened.

Useful info about the double locking 👍

On 12/8/2023 at 11:52 AM, Jim1977 said:

---

That's exactly what I'm doing! Mine is an old-fashioned bar lock. It doesn't *quite* date back to the 90's, but is of about 2001/2 vintage! It still works as good as new. The only problem is that there's a knack on getting it put on and taking off without blasting the horn.    

Indeed, at the end of the day if a thief really wants a particular car, they'll just cut through the wheel. It just stalls them and makes it more awkward - and therefore hopefully less worthwhile when they see a big yellow bar across the steering wheel. From my understanding a Disk lock is the better option, but I've never personally had one or used one in order to comment. 

On one occasion when I visited my brother down in Suffolk, I forgot the Faraday pouch (I'd stupidly left it on the kitchen table at home as I left...), so the keys ended up in his microwave overnight...! 

Speaking of Faraday pouches, I'm hoping Father Christmas will be delivering me a new one... 😉

On 12/8/2023 at 4:21 PM, Spock66 said:

I occasionally try that with mine every so often to make sure it still works. I know my Faraday pouch is getting pretty 'battered' now. As I've just said to Jim above, fingers crossed I'll have a new one in a few weeks... 

• Like 1

Gary, I think the Disklok is meant to be a bit harder to get off, but it may just be semantics between the two types. As you say, if they really want the car, and probably intend to strip it for parts, they are not going to care about cutting the wheel. It’s just that visual deterrent to hopefully stop the opportunist or steer the pro thief to a quicker softer target. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links