Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RX450h+ Sit Up! Driver's Face Not Detected

Yesterday I drove 60 miles with the message 'Sit Up! Driver's Face Not Detected' continually showing and the warning chimes continually sounding. I am 6 ft with a fairly normal white face (I think), with no facial adornments apart from some whiskers and a pair of glasses. Does anyone know how to dis-able this feature? As usual, there is nothing in the handbook.

Question number 2: Why is it that sometimes, when I lock the car, there are 9 'beeps' and lights flashing and sometimes there are none of these? Again, nothing in the handbook.

That’s a new one!
Just wondering if the camera ( assuming that is the device used) has some contaminant or condensation on the lens ( given the damp weather).

Regarding the second question maybe ask your dealer?

Not sure where the face recognition camera is located.

Multiple locking beeps are not due to open door or key inside. The vehicle locks OK, it just flashes and beeps, but not every time. 

As far as asking my dealer is concerned, they have very little clue about anything to do with this car! In fact they recommended me to use this forum for answers to any queries!

15 minutes ago, Tom, said:

Not sure where the face recognition camera is located.

Multiple locking beeps are not due to open door or key inside. The vehicle locks OK, it just flashes and beeps, but not every time. 

As far as asking my dealer is concerned, they have very little clue about anything to do with this car! In fact they recommended me to use this forum for answers to any queries!

The NX beeps four times (not nine, which may be different) if you’ve been in the back seats / opened a rear door, and thus may have forgotten something (or a sleeping baby!). It confused me initially too. 

• Like 1

In the RZ the Driver Monitor camera is on the bottom of the drivers screen. If you have the steering wheel too high it obscures the camera as it is in the screen not on the column.
In the RZ you can turn it off in Driver Assistance. I haven’t, as you will have to do it every time the car start (EU regulation) and I suspect the dynamic radar cruise will not function. 

2 screenshots. The first is the RZ and I think the second is the 2023 RX

IMG_0842.jpeg

IMG_0843.jpeg

Thanks Bob and others. The RX is the same as the RZ and the camera screen moves up and down with the steering wheel adjustment, so it's not the wheel obscuring the camera. So I dusted off the small screen, but what I've also done is gone into SETTINGS - DRIVING ASSIST- DRIVER SUPPORT - DRIVER MONITOR ALERT and turned it off. 

I shouldn't think this would affect the dynamic radar cruise function, which cannot be a function of the driver monitor. I did stop and start the car and it remained off, so we will see!

I turned that one off as well and its not turned back on - kept giving me messages to pay attention also when I was looking away. 

Only issue I seem to be having is that I cant get connected to the multimedia system - the car has been registered to the Lexus Link+ app and I can see journeys / location of the car, just the multimedia system doesnt seem to register so I can't setup my own profile. Not sure why this is

Tom, are your glasses by any chance tinted. I drove another car with a similar system, only way it would shut up is by taking off said tinted glasses. Some tints reflect IR.

https://www.embedded.com/breaking-down-misconceptions-about-driver-monitoring-systems/

I'll try that, although the glasses are not tinted. Think I'm going to leave the feature dis-abled because I don't really want to be told to sit up and pay attention. Takes me back to my school days!

• Like 1

@Tom, In addition to the eye tracking, did you manage to turn the speed beeps off? It was previously mentioned in another thread if you disable it, it comes back on every time you restart the car. But was mentioned in a US forum if you change from audible to visual alert, it doesn’t beep anymore and doesn’t reset if you restart though nobody had verified this on a UK car.

1 hour ago, wivenhoe said:

I have been told that the EU mandates that it defaults back every time the car is started. Right hand drive, Brexit and our cars are configured for EU rules !

Did you try it on your RZ? I read if you turn it off it turns back on when you restart the car due to the regulations, but if you leave it turned on and change it from an audible to a visual notification it will still flash up a warning on the screen but at least it won’t beep at you.

I’ve been looking at buying an RX350H, but I can see this getting pretty annoying if you have to dig into the menus to turn it off every time you drive it.

I found this to be the same as the ‘over speed’ warning - you can select to have visual without audible but it has to be set every time. It’s annoying and the manual for the RZ is a bit misleading as it says this can be set as part of ‘my settings’ which reads as becoming the default but it isn’t. As it seems to be an EU reg there isn’t a way round it. My previous BMW had it but it was only active when the semi-autonomous driving was operating - far more sensible and it wasn’t as sensitive. The Lexus system is so sensitive that it gives an alert when you’re looking at a junction or at the door mirror. 
I have turned the volume right down for all notifications so I can’t hear them with the radio / music. 
We swapped the wife’s 2022 Honda for a new Toyota as the lane keeping in the Honda was so severe it was dangerous - even on the lowest setting if you moved over to avoid something in the road it wrestled the car back towards the kerb ! The Toyota has a button on the wheel to turn it off but in the Honda it was buried in the menu and accessed by a button deep down below the dash 

I should also have said that in the RZ it’s very easy to turn off the speed limit display as it has a dedicated shortcut button in the screen. BUT this turns off the speed limit display completely in the HUD and both screens. 

Dan & Bob - I have turned off the driver's face detection and it has not turned back on when the car is re-started. Not concerned about the speed 'beeps' as I find them quite useful in adhering to speed limits. However, I have found no means of disabling the beeps when I first lock it.

• Like 1

Tom - good to hear, I’ll try that.
The beeps when locking the car seem to be random. At first I thought it was the second press causing it - reminding you that the internal sensor was armed so not to be used if a pet or child was still in it. There just doesn’t seem to be any logic to it - sometimes it’s total silence and then for no reason the beeps happen on the next locking. The second press just double locks, apparently the intrusion and tip sensors are armed after just the single lock. 
As usual, the manual doesn’t seem to cover it at all. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I have an RX450h+ and also struggled to determine what was causing the nine beeps (my dealer told me it was due to parking too close to an object, but of course…..). The actual cause is due to if any passenger door or boot has been opened. A warning message is displayed when switching the car off to remind you that something may be left in the car. There’s a prompt to hold the OK button (lower section of the left hand four point button) to disable this feature; however it, of course, requires doing each time.

If only the driver’s door has been opened then there’s no warning or beeps. Hope this helps.

Kevin

Thanks Kevin. Yes, someone else mentioned that it is a warning that you might have left something or someone in  passenger seat. I've seen that prompt when I stop the car and wondered what it was! The beeping is not a problem anyway.

Cheers,

Tom

Ah, I’ve finally found other 450h+ owners!

I suffered the same re driver alert and have turned it off as suggested. I’m struggling to turn off the multiple beeping/check rear seat thing. The instructions I’ve found only seem to relate to the NX not the RX which has a slightly different menu in the Utility option. 

It’s reassuring it’s not some kind of fault but have you guys managed to turn it off?

Hi bladgb,

Despite searching the full 800 page manual plus supplementary Infotainment manual I haven’t (yet) found a permanent way of disabling this function. However I’ve become accustomed to holding the OK button on the left hand steering wheel switch (HUD) and disabling it before exiting the car. This stops the nine beeps when locking alarm.

Hope this helps 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links