Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ls rear wheel drive

Newbie777

20 minutes ago, Newbie777 said:

Interesting..

On my other cars I have all Hankook on the VW Golf and Sport Maxx GT on my Bentley (all bought new).

In the Lexus the front two are Michellns and the back two are Bridgestone, they all have about 5mm to 6mm 

The question on the tyre is would it be worth buying two 6mm  Michelins secondhand now ( to use as back 2) and then replace all tyres with 4 brand new Michellins, when they are near 3mm.

But I guess I should just buy two new Michellins now (buy 2 more new ones again later) and use one of the Bridgestones as the spare.

To be honest I would keep them as it is. As long and you have matching tyres on each axle they should be good enough. That is unless they are badly mismatched e.g. if your fronts are Michelin PS4s (UUHP tyre) and rears are Bridgestone Turanza (touring tyre) then they are not well matched (it goes as follows Eco > Touring > UHP > UUHP > Race). But if fronts are Michelin Primacy (Touring) and rears and Bridgestone Turanza (also Touring), then I would just leave them as they are and just replace them with 4 new tyres once they get to ~2.5-3mm.

The reason for this - for example UUHP will grip a lot better in hot and dry than Touring, but a lot worse on cold morning, so you get this disbalance and unpredictable handling between axles, but as long as they similar "grade" tyres they should be alright. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Linas.P said:

To be honest I would keep them as it is. As long and you have matching tyres on each axle they should be good enough. That is unless they are badly mismatched e.g. if your fronts are Michelin PS4s (UUHP tyre) and rears are Bridgestone Turanza (touring tyre) then they are not well matched (it goes as follows Eco > Touring > UHP > UUHP > Race). But if fronts are Michelin Primacy (Touring) and rears and Bridgestone Turanza (also Touring), then I would just leave them as they are and just replace them with 4 new tyres once they get to ~2.5-3mm.

The reason for this - for example UUHP will grip a lot better in hot and dry than Touring, but a lot worse on cold morning, so you get this disbalance and unpredictable handling between axles, but as long as they similar "grade" tyres they should be alright. 

Thank you very much that uis helpful.

I do like Michellin the area soft and very quiet tyres. But expensive and don't last that long.

If I see a a freat deal for 4 Nichelin Primacy or PS4 Xl 102y I may still get them to use in summer, will see.

27 minutes ago, Newbie777 said:

Interesting..

On my other cars I have all Hankook on the VW Golf and Sport Maxx GT on my Bentley (all bought new).

In the Lexus the front two are Michellns and the back two are Bridgestone, they all have about 5mm to 6mm 

The question on the tyre is would it be worth buying two 6mm  Michelins secondhand now ( to use as back 2) and then replace all tyres with 4 brand new Michellins, when they are near 3mm.

But I guess I should just buy two new Michellins now (buy 2 more new ones again later) and use one of the Bridgestones as the spare.

Why not wait until they reach that magic 3mm and replace 2 or 4 depending which axle wears first ?

Presuming the fronts wear differently to the rears that is !

Malc

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Newbie777 said:

I do like Michellin the area soft and very quiet tyres. But expensive and don't last that long.

I have always favoured Michelin tyres. They wear well and keep their grip level right down to the 3mm limit when I renew tyres. I certainly wouldn't class them as soft though, that's why they last so well.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Malc1 said:

Why not wait until they reach that magic 3mm and replace 2 or 4 depending which axle wears first ?

Presuming the fronts wear differently to the rears that is !

Malc

Thanks Malc will do that, just not fond of different tyres, not bothered about spare as emergency only.

I think on the LS600h it is us 40 front and 60 rear most of the time, so think rears should wear out, a bit first, not forgetting the weight of the batteries in the back too.

3 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

I have always favoured Michelin tyres. They wear well and keep their grip level right down to the 3mm limit when I renew tyres. I certainly wouldn't class them as soft though, that's why they last so well.

I totally agree, Ithink they must be softer than say Dunlops?

Just now, NemesisUK said:

I don't think so. In my experience Dunlops wear much faster than the Michelin

Oh, that just tells you how much I know about tyres,lol, the main thing we both agree on is michellins are the ones to go for.

Quite a big size 245 45 19, too, so not cheap

16 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

Same here - great lifespan, but they are little bit on the "sportier" side. Not harsh, or noise, just not "soft" either. 

13 minutes ago, Newbie777 said:

I totally agree, Ithink they must be softer than say Dunlops?

Funny enough I have replaced Dunlops SportMaxx RT2 with Michelin PS4 and Michelins were noticeably less soft/comfortable.

Now to big part is was because I went from 17" to 18", but still Michelins where noticeably more "high performance" tyre. For example driving Dunlop RT2 on cold morning would not be a big deal, but Michelin PS4 in cold morning (and by cold I mean 4-8C maybe) would be very sketchy, they felt literally like race tyres which you have to bring "up-to temperature" before they start gripping. 

So by that I reckon PS4 had much harder compound which in colder temperatures really suffered and was just too stiff. That said - once PS4 were "up-to temp" they they gripped like a train, point the car into direction and it goes there like on the rails, both mechanical grip and compound itself was phenomenal. 

Sadly, Dunlop has not released any tyres for nearly decade now, everything that is made is all obsolete OEM junk. Dunlop/Goodyear is the same company, so if you looking competitive replacement for Dunlop, then you need to look at Goodyear Asymmetric 6 now.

• Like 1

Thanks, I drive like an old dear, so warming up won't be an issue!

I have iwned Audi A6, A8 and S8s and preferred choice has been Michellins, no regrets other than price, but you get what you pay for - tyres and brakes you never compromise!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Newbie777 said:

Thanks, I drive like an old dear, so warming up won't be an issue!

I have iwned Audi A6, A8 and S8s and preferred choice has been Michellins, no regrets other than price, but you get what you pay for - tyres and brakes you never compromise!

Agreed, tyres in particular are the only thing that connects you and the road, so I never compromise on that. However, premium tyres are probably within 2% of each other (worst to best) and little bit research allows even some mid range tyres in the top 5%, so I still think Michelins are best tyres around, but at the same time I am quite happy to take something like Goodyear for 20% less, knowing they are maybe 0.5% behind Michelin. In some other areas they may even be better - for example Goodyear EffcientGrip2 are considered best touring tyre around. The only reason I don't use it is because they generally do not make sizes that fit Lexus. I think they don't have anything bigger than 235s and 18", so that leaves very limited choice. Event then - I considered downsizing from 245/45R17 to 235, but EfficientGrip2 was only available in 235/50/R17 (which would kind of work), but the price was more than Michelin PS5 in correct size... so it just doesn't make sense. But for example if I had CT200, on it's 215s then EffcientGrip2 would definitely be on my list. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

Agreed, tyres in particular are the only thing that connects you and the road, so I never compromise on that. However, premium tyres are probably within 2% of each other (worst to best) and little bit research allows even some mid range tyres in the top 5%, so I still think Michelins are best tyres around, but at the same time I am quite happy to take something like Goodyear for 20% less, knowing they are maybe 0.5% behind Michelin. In some other areas they may even be better - for example Goodyear EffcientGrip2 are considered best touring tyre around. The only reason I don't use it is because they generally do not make sizes that fit Lexus. I think they don't have anything bigger than 235s and 18", so that leaves very limited choice. Event then - I considered downsizing from 245/45R17 to 235, but EfficientGrip2 was only available in 235/50/R17 (which would kind of work), but the price was more than Michelin PS5 in correct size... so it just doesn't make sense. But for example if I had CT200, on it's 215s then EffcientGrip2 would definitely be on my list. 

Looks like a few options to consider, no rush at the moment, but will look ar this again in 5 months time, if need be, thanks again.

I know some people go for 18inch alloys, but I find the ride and comfort with the 19inch with 36psi air, spot on.

On 12/22/2023 at 12:05 PM, Newbie777 said:

Thanks guys some interesting comments.

I totally agree winter tyres make a bog difference but traction in rear drive cars, with a lot of power can be more difficult?

I remember late 70s, people in the UK drove in  the snow with chains!

Also with AWD you do get more grip and control, however those inexperienced drivers with AWD (like range rovers etc) do not understand that AWD  vehicles are always heavier vehicles and that means braking.. oh well , exoect the vehicle to lunge forward.  This is already normal, wow. I can't even imagine this. I'm just getting goosebumps right now. I also sometimes use this but not as often as I would like. Everything has its own rules. In general, I like your opinion. That's how it should be

Yes, I remember those seventies too!

On 12/22/2023 at 11:38 AM, ColinBarber said:

I once owned a Capri - paving slabs or a bag of cement was needed in the summer :driving:

Also in the 70s a mate had a 3 litre Capri and once took me out on a local dual carriageway for a “ ton up” experience.

On reaching the “magic” speed he then said “roundabout in a mile time to start slowing down”

”But it’s a mile away” I exclaimed.

His reply was ”At this speed in a 3 litre Capri you don’t touch the brakes!”

On 12/22/2023 at 8:13 PM, Newbie777 said:

Looks like a few options to consider, no rush at the moment, but will look ar this again in 5 months time, if need be, thanks again.

I know some people go for 18inch alloys, but I find the ride and comfort with the 19inch with 36psi air, spot on.

On a prior Post here somewhere DJT has Riken tyres and these seem to be a Michelin product ! 

might be worth a check-out 🤔

Malc 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Malc1 said:

On a prior Post here somewhere DJT has Riken tyres and these seem to be a Michelin product ! 

might be worth a check-out 🤔

Malc 

Hi Malc,

Cool will look at these too, thank you

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links