Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Questions about 2019 CT200

Rizzoe

I was in the market for a hybrid when a couple 2019 CT200s caught my eye.

I know the CT200 had the same issues the 3rd gen prius had in 2010-2014 related to head gasket and EGR problems but those were eventually rectified in >2015 correct? I shouldn't have many worries if i understand correctly. All the vehicles I'm looking at have <50k km so barely broken in right? 😁

Head gasket issues are virtually unheard of in the UK due to a combination of good fuel and most being regularly serviced by Lexus dealers using good quality synthetic oil, but certainly it is recommended to inspect/clean the EGR out every 40k miles or so.

But yes engine changes in 2015 were on the Prius and CT - which also stops carbon build up on the piston rings, scoring the bores and causing oil consumption.

• Like 1

Thanks Colin! That's reassuring. I went and checked a 2018 "Black Street" trim CT200 this weekend and the carfax returned it had been in an accident. Front passenger wheel panel was repainted but it's likely it was only cosmetic. Waiting for the seller to lmk if i can take it to my mechanic for a PPI. Hopefully if all is well i can get a great deal on this as usually people steer clear from accident vehicles.

Engine has gone about 6k km since last service and the oil is about 3/4 full so seems like oil consumption is a non issue.

Just something for you ponder over before you rush in, one Lexus I owned was in a bump as they would say cosmetic, headlight, bumper etc. The insurance company recommended repair centre was Stoneacre, the repair cost £4500 but the total cost was just over £10k with the car hire like for like, the repair was so bad the car had to go to Toyota, when they looked at it they had to get it inspected and take photo's of the car under the cosmetics, cost a further £5500 to put right what the first garage failed to do plus the car hire again so the full cost was over £20,000. If you must go down the repairable route have it inspected and don't pay top dollar for it cause when you sell it that will be the first thing they kick you in the goolies about, it's not what the outside looks like it's what's behind, tread carefully.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kaptkremmin said:

The insurance company recommended repair centre was Stoneacre, the repair cost £4500 but the total cost was just over £10k with the car hire like for like, the repair was so bad the car had to go to Toyota, when they looked at it they had to get it inspected and take photo's of the car under the cosmetics, cost a further £5500 to put right what the first garage failed to do plus the car hire again so the full cost was over £20,000. If you must go down the repairable route have it inspected and don't pay top dollar for it cause when you sell it that will be the first thing they kick you in the goolies about, it's not what the outside looks like it's what's behind, tread carefully.

Thanks for the insight, i do not intend to pay asking price (€19k) even if the PPI passes with flying colors. I know for certain it needs a oil change, Battery and tires since they're both over 6 years old with 45k km.

I intend on offering closer to €14k mainly due to the maintenance needed practically immediately and that accident vehicles are just not always worth the potential headache. That's if im convinced of the vehicle at all.

You never mentioned it's service history, it's always worth having full Lexus history then you get the 10yr warranty on the hybrid batteries which are checked each year or it can be done at a Toyota dealer for a reasonable price. That way if a dealer has done all the servicing you know it's not been messed around with. I bought mine from Lexus and it came with a years warranty plus it's always worth a look under the bonnet to see if any nuts and bolts are rusty, the fasteners, pipe clamps etc, in this currant climate you have to make sure the car hasn't been used as a submarine or driving through a Ford regular, a seller wouldn't go to the trouble of changing any pipe clamps and a few nuts and fasteners here and there, as a further thought and I'm not being bias I would never buy a car from the coast or Scotland unless you live there(LOL) take the first two letters from the reg and see where it was registered, it will give you an idea how rusty it is underneath and if all that doesn't float your boat pardon the pun a little app on your smart phone is great called, Vehicle Smart it's free put any reg in and it will give you a lot of information, if a car is MOT'd all previous MOT's showing mileage, how much road tax etc.

I ended up chickening out for now, i don't want to go through the hassle of checking an accident vehicle if there are quite a few options on the market. Service history was always done in Lexus every 6-9k km so that's fine but the whole accident thing really throws any potential reliability aspects out the window. BTW i am in Italy.

I started fancying the UX 250h so i might just splurge and get something a bit more modern, wallet be damned 😄 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links