Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Spare Wheel

Malc1

Guys chatting here about carrying that spare wheel or spacesaver 

Essential in my view but you all know that anyway ! 

the Dacia Jogger tv advert doesn’t mention the spare BUT reading the sales blurb you can actually buy the spare wheel at £300 ……. So it has the space in the car and rip-off not providing it for free methinks 

Why spend £300 when a spacesaver must surely be about £250 less !

I do have a bit of a passion for this modern thinking that a tube of gunk can repair a pothole shredded tyre 🥵

Malc

• Like 1

This is exactly how my car is:  I have the room for a space saver wheel and kit in the boot, but you have to buy it.  I enquired the other day and was told it was nearly £400!

I made a mistake not getting it when my car was new, especially as my Christmas day ended like this:

1000008012.thumb.jpg.ab1feacfe7313b61b2f9f67575611326.jpg

Yep, hit a pothole that destroyed my NSF tyre.

Despite the cost, I am probably going to try and source a spare as I plan on keeping the car for a while.

• Sad 1

I would really like a spare wheel or space saver (even if it does remain unused in the car!) however there is a growing list of cars that does not have the space for either 🙄

My masterplan is to buy a full sized wheel/tyre and store it in my garage (not ideal, but better than nothing) 😀

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Shahpor said:

Yep, hit a pothole that destroyed my NSF tyre.

Shahpor, have you considered making a claim against your Local Authority for compensation?

If you know the exact location of the offending pothole, then photograph it and check if it has previously been reported.  If it has, then the LA is legally liable for the fact that it hasn’t been repaired and you can claim for compensation.

You should also check for any damage to the wheel as well.

Plenty of online information about how to do this!

• Like 2

absolutely useless keeping your spare or spacesaver other than in the car ..  the RAC whatever will have the necessary jack etc in the terrible event .

as you may remember my daughter and her family one bank holiday Sunday had a shredded tyre on their Arbath and the RAC tow truck eventually, and far away, got them to a new tyre place 

Had they had that spare then the RAC guy would have simply changed the tyre in a matter of minutes and their break could have proceeded much much happier !

Malc

• Like 1

9 hours ago, LenT said:

Shahpor, have you considered making a claim against your Local Authority for compensation?

If you know the exact location of the offending pothole, then photograph it and check if it has previously been reported.  If it has, then the LA is legally liable for the fact that it hasn’t been repaired and you can claim for compensation.

You should also check for any damage to the wheel as well.

Plenty of online information about how to do this!

Claim already submitted against Hillingdon Borough Council 🙂👍

Haven't heard anything back yet, but I will keep chasing.

This is the pothole in question:

1000007985.thumb.jpg.9509d2c5eba93eb4a73a3ab3ffda2814.jpg1000007988.thumb.jpg.838e63a4f5d506038b40a061121265e7.jpg

As for wheel damage, the saga doesn't end there.

Since the AA dropped my car off at home and I didn't have a spare, I (perhaps foolishly) got a mobile fitter from Halford to come and change the tyre since they could do it much quicker than anyone else.  The fitter was a nice guy who let me inspect the wheel without the tyre on and it looked fine.  However, after putting the wheel back on, I noticed that a groove had now been cut into each of the spokes of my wheel where he had allowed the tyre fitting machine to drop too low! 🤬

Fair play to Halfords though, one of their managers called me the same day to tell me that they admit they damaged the wheel and will get it fixed.  I am just waiting to hear back from them now on what can be done.  I did enquire with the dealer on the cost of a replacement wheel and was quite shocked when they said £930!

So, as of today, I am waiting on the outcome of a claim against both Hillingdon Council and Halfords.

1 hour ago, Shahpor said:

Claim already submitted against Hillingdon Borough Council 🙂👍

Haven't heard anything back yet, but I will keep chasing.

Excellent news, Shahpor.  Well done for such prompt action - and a great shot of the offending pothole. A tyre shredder if ever there was one.

Judging from other’s accounts, perseverance is the key to success.    As I recall, the Detailer who did my car had at least two occasions when a wheel on his Porsche suffered severe pot holing around our country lanes and -  eventually - had each claim settled.  

Pity that Halfords couldn’t get the job right first time.  But is getting a new wheel compensation enough?  Possibly!  😊

• Like 1

11 hours ago, LenT said:

Excellent news, Shahpor.  Well done for such prompt action - and a great shot of the offending pothole. A tyre shredder if ever there was one.

Judging from other’s accounts, perseverance is the key to success.    As I recall, the Detailer who did my car had at least two occasions when a wheel on his Porsche suffered severe pot holing around our country lanes and -  eventually - had each claim settled.  

Pity that Halfords couldn’t get the job right first time.  But is getting a new wheel compensation enough?  Possibly!  😊

Thanks Len.

The new tyre cost me £225, and I also had the tracking checked for £55, so I definitely going to be chasing them for payment!

As for Halfords, I would be perfectly happy if they agree to a new wheel as I would keep the current one as a spare 🙂

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links