Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I mentioned this in one of my other posts, but I finally got round to dismantling some of the interior today to hard wire my dash cam. I took some photos showing the mysterious wiring. I haven't identified where it goes yet.

Heading down the left A pillar are thick red and blue wires, and a thin black/white wire.

Near the passenger distribution block there's a new black wire bolted to a chassis earth point, and the blue wire becomes orange via a bullet connector. There's also a thicker black wire coming from under the passenger carpet and heading up to the dashboard but it seems to disappear somewhere under the left dash speaker and doesn't continue up the A pillar.

Under the front left door threshold plate there are a set of 5 wires disappearing under the carpet towards the front passenger seat with a very tight bend radius, looking very non-Lexus.

I've run out of light now but I'm unsure how to proceed. I'll need to disconnect the Battery for the next steps due to the airbags, but I think I'm going to remove the passenger knee airbag and glovebox and see if I can see anything aftermarket installed there. I also suspect I might have to remove the passenger seat to see where the wiring from the door threshold goes, and the centre console to see if any of the other wires go there.

Best guess: an old tracking system.

In other news, I sold my Mini Clubman this morning so the LS is now my only car!

IMG_2341.jpeg

IMG_2342.jpeg

IMG_2343.jpeg

IMG_2344.jpeg

IMG_2345.jpeg

• Like 1

John, Niaz here has just bought a 2010 Ls600 and often Posts ……. he might have some thoughts for you …….. all looks amazingly complex and challenging 

Good luck

Malc 

Niaz also has a Bentley that’s occasionally challenging 😰 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jon Evans said:

I mentioned this in one of my other posts, but I finally got round to dismantling some of the interior today to hard wire my dash cam. I took some photos showing the mysterious wiring. I haven't identified where it goes yet.

Heading down the left A pillar are thick red and blue wires, and a thin black/white wire.

Near the passenger distribution block there's a new black wire bolted to a chassis earth point, and the blue wire becomes orange via a bullet connector. There's also a thicker black wire coming from under the passenger carpet and heading up to the dashboard but it seems to disappear somewhere under the left dash speaker and doesn't continue up the A pillar.

Under the front left door threshold plate there are a set of 5 wires disappearing under the carpet towards the front passenger seat with a very tight bend radius, looking very non-Lexus.

I've run out of light now but I'm unsure how to proceed. I'll need to disconnect the battery for the next steps due to the airbags, but I think I'm going to remove the passenger knee airbag and glovebox and see if I can see anything aftermarket installed there. I also suspect I might have to remove the passenger seat to see where the wiring from the door threshold goes, and the centre console to see if any of the other wires go there.

Best guess: an old tracking system.

In other news, I sold my Mini Clubman this morning so the LS is now my only car!

IMG_2341.jpeg

IMG_2342.jpeg

IMG_2343.jpeg

IMG_2344.jpeg

IMG_2345.jpeg

Hello Jon 

Happy New Year!

I'm not sure I have something that looks like a like a small box microphone in the top left corner of my front winderscreen. It also looks aftermarket( will take pic tomm).

Autoglass are replacing my front windscreen  next Tuesday and Halfords are fitting a dashcam front and back next Thursday so will ask both of these guys.

It could be a Tracker/Microphone/Antenna/ for DAB etc.not sure though.

Niaz

Use some needle probes on a multimeter when the various ign powered up scenarios are in place if there is any life in the circuits check for load and ohms output .If nothing is apparent leave it alone and forget about it.

Lexus demonstrators were fitted with trackers as standard for the dealerships insurance policy .My ls400 which was owned by the dealership for its first twelve month  still as it in situ and is a constant drain on the Battery but because I have it on Battery charge when idle I will leave it in place I can always re-register with the tracking company if needed.

My 460 had a tracker fitted, when new. After two years the subscription wasn't renewed and everyone forgot about it.

It took two Battery replacements (free of charge) before the dealer decided to investigate in-depth and remove the culprit.

Looks like they tapped into the power in the roof wiring, upstream from the wiring harness connector. It's drawn more current than the connector was designed for, so one of the pins broke off as soon as I moved it. What a pain. I'll have to get some new pins from Lexus.

IMG_2358.jpeg

IMG_2359.jpeg

IMG_2360.jpeg

Now you have found it you have the choice  of removing it, remember if you reconnect it your battery  you will have a constant drain,If you re-register it with the organisation that it is assigned to the device you will have to pay a annual subscription and prove you own the car .

I have never found mine I suspect it is somewhere in the floor space but let sleeping dogs lye is my motto, in your case searching for it as been a good outcome in finding the possible rust scenario.

Get that cleaned up and sprayed with wax as soon as .

18 hours ago, Newbie777 said:

Hello Jon 

Happy New Year!

I'm not sure I have something that looks like a like a small box microphone in the top left corner of my front winderscreen. It also looks aftermarket( will take pic tomm).

Autoglass are replacing my front windscreen  next Tuesday and Halfords are fitting a Dashcam front and back next Thursday so will ask both of these guys.

It could be a Tracker/Microphone/Antenna/ for DAB etc.not sure though.

Niaz

Here is what I have looks more like a gps or extra microphone to me.

20240107_150106.jpg

I’ve finished work for today now. Car Battery is still disconnected, front passenger seat is in our hallway.

i removed the tracker. To deal with the broken pin I’ve just soldered a new wire between the two halves of the plug. Access is virtually impossible so it’s a bit of a bodge. I think the whole dash would have to come out to fix it properly.

Anyway, the front dashcam is in, and the wiring is routed down the A pillar. I've routed the rear dashcam cable as far as the rear door, next job is (I think) removing the rear passenger seat (ottoman) so I can remove the door trim up to the C pillar. There’s a rattle coming from that area so I want to do that anyway.

@Newbie777 that looks like a GPS antenna to me.

IMG_2362.jpeg

IMG_2363.jpeg

IMG_2364.jpeg

IMG_2365.jpeg

IMG_2366.jpeg

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Jon Evans said:

I’ve finished work for today now. Car battery is still disconnected, front passenger seat is in our hallway.

i removed the tracker. To deal with the broken pin I’ve just soldered a new wire between the two halves of the plug. Access is virtually impossible so it’s a bit of a bodge. I think the whole dash would have to come out to fix it properly.

Anyway, the front dashcam is in, and the wiring is routed down the A pillar. I've routed the rear dashcam cable as far as the rear door, next job is (I think) removing the rear passenger seat (ottoman) so I can remove the door trim up to the C pillar. There’s a rattle coming from that area so I want to do that anyway.

@Newbie777 that looks like a GPS antenna to me.

IMG_2362.jpeg

IMG_2363.jpeg

IMG_2364.jpeg

IMG_2365.jpeg

IMG_2366.jpeg

Well done and am glad you didn't give up and got it sorted.

Whatever it is am leaving with the new glass. Not as brave as you to check it out.

• Like 1

It seems to be a very well made unit. It's a "Tracker VLU6 Locate". It has a (very dead) lithium Battery pack. When connected to my bench PSU it draws ~60mA when active and ~15-20mA in standby (when only the permanent supply cable is connected).

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links