Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

UX300e 12v Battery woes

23 hours ago, Jim1977 said:

I have a Noco Boost GB40. It fits in the glovebox. I can confirm it jumps a totally dead 300e.

You just connect it to the positive and negative terminals on the 12v battery. Turn it on. Press the boost button if the 12v is too dead for the Noco to detect (I had to do that). Start the car. Then with the car still on, turn off the Noco, then disconnect.

NB positive first, then negative when connecting. 
Negative first, then positive when disconnecting.

IMG_5920_Original.jpeg

I was told not to do this .. connect the NOCO positive to the Battery positive BUT connect the negative to some bare, unpainted bodywork or a convenient bolt, anything that gives a good earth.

Apparently, if you connect both directly to the Battery it can cause issues with electronic circuitry.

3 minutes ago, schroder said:

I was told not to do this .. connect the NOCO positive to the battery positive BUT connect the negative to some bare, unpainted bodywork or a convenient bolt, anything that gives a good earth.

Apparently, if you connect both directly to the battery it can cause issues with electronic circuitry.

Was that specific Lexus advice, or jumping 12v in general? I just had a look at the Noco instructions and it does say you can connect to the chassis or the negative terminal. The leads would be long enough to find a suitable connecting point if necessary.

1 hour ago, Jim1977 said:

Was that specific Lexus advice, or jumping 12v in general? I just had a look at the Noco instructions and it does say you can connect to the chassis or the negative terminal. The leads would be long enough to find a suitable connecting point if necessary.

The handbook suggests using the bare metal piece roughly in the center of the engine bay for the UXe

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jim1977 said:

No, it wasn't advice from Lexus, more 'in general' although copious posts in the Toyota forum regarding this.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Yorkshire Lexus said:

Gents, I suggest…..you should not have to jump start a £55,000 car that is 18 months old , missing the point …..

one shouldn't have to do anything to an 18 month young car save servicing regularly and properly .......  whatever the make Marque of car let alone a LEXUS

Malc

So Ive hooked up the Noco Genius 2A (good discount from Halfords) and it took about 2 hours to fully charge. Currently on maintenance mode but doesnt appear like there's anything majorly wrong with the Battery itself.......

The Battery is tiny though - 32ah standard 12v

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 1/9/2024 at 6:51 PM, rayaans said:

All it's got is a dash cam which is 12v socket powered. It's taking 0.5amp when asleep so not much. 

Weirdly after the 20 mile drive on Sunday, it started first time today so took it for another 15 mile spin and left it on for 60 mins after. 

I've found my starter pack jump set so I could use that potentially. Used to use it for the lawnmower and for emergencies so should be fine.

I'm going to get a trickle charger though as well and give it a full 2 days on there just to get the Battery up if possible. Just been sent a Halfords 15% off code so why not

Hi folks, reading these threads seems ludicrous that you buy from Lexus for reliability- well this is why we do, but you can’t go away for a weeks holiday and expect your car to drive.!!! Surely rather than buying chargers and jump start equipment as a back up you should be going straight back to Lexus to say this isn’t fit for purpose. Love my UXe but the 12v has drained twice already!! The reliability selling point is wearing off. This is my 5th Lexus- and first ev, so disappointed!!

While the issue of the 12v Battery going flat due to lack of regular use (Time running not distance matters when getting a Battery back to full charge)  the problem exists for conventional petrol or diesel cars too.   It's not just Lexus self charging hybrid vehicles but any car that has multiple electronic control units that require either a constant low amperage supply or more power when booting the car into life.   All exotic models like Bentley, Aston Martin, Jaguar, Mercedes etc always recommend a CTek charger for conditioning the Battery when not in use.   CTek is recommended by all the British Manufacturers even to the point of the car's logo on the unit.   First signs of low Battery voltage in these expensive cars are multiple waring lights on the dash.

I admit my current Lexus car is the only hybrid Lexus out of 6 that let me down with a flat 12v Battery in the last 5 years.   Never gave it a second thought that my car would not start when I press that button.      The traction Battery does all the charging of the 12v Battery but it's the 12v Battery that needs to initiate the starting process to get you in the READY mode to move off. 

There doesn't appear to be any options other than use the car regularly or get into the habit of using a CTek conditioner every 3rd or 4th day if you know the car won't be used for extended periods.  I can't get my car into my garage so run a lead out from the garage to the boot of the car on the drive and connect the CTek.   I lock the car up and just leave it till the CTek shows fully charged even if that takes 4 or 5 hours.   I know then I will be able to move off without an issue.   

16 hours ago, Dedra said:

Hi folks, reading these threads seems ludicrous that you buy from Lexus for reliability- well this is why we do, but you can’t go away for a weeks holiday and expect your car to drive.!!! Surely rather than buying chargers and jump start equipment as a back up you should be going straight back to Lexus to say this isn’t fit for purpose. Love my UXe but the 12v has drained twice already!! The reliability selling point is wearing off. This is my 5th Lexus- and first ev, so disappointed!!

It's inherently an EV problem. My hybrids were never as poor Battery wise and could be left for weeks without issue.

AA man said 50% approx of callouts now are EV 12V batteries discharged as they keep putting smaller and smaller batteries in. Porsche Taycan seems to be a regular.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all 

I bought UX back in July 2023 and already had flat Battery issue twice. First one  has been direct result of dash cam settings but last friday upon return from holidays Battery was dead again (after 2 weeks of car parked at gatwick) and this time its defo not cameras fault (been replaced and correct settings applied)

Today afeter speaking to Twickenham Lexus been told that due to very low milage - 2600 the warranty will not cover it should they have to replace it. I'm amazed by such reaponse .. any one has got similar reponse/ experience ? 

Many thanks 

1 hour ago, Gregory Z said:

Today afeter speaking to Twickenham Lexus been told that due to very low milage - 2600 the warranty will not cover it should they have to replace it. I'm amazed by such reaponse .. any one has got similar reponse/ experience ? 

That is a far from ideal response but I can understand the logic. The Battery will be discharged through lack of use, which would affect its capacity and ability to maintain a charge - 12v lead acid batteries do not like being deep discharged. In the eye of the Battery manufacturer, this isn't a warranty issue because it isn't a manufacturing defect, it has inadvertently been user damaged.

I'd argue that a vehicle isn't fit for purpose if you cannot go on holiday for two weeks, so you will have some recourse if you wanted to threaten or take up legal action. However, just replacing the Battery with a new one doesn't solve the issue, and I doubt there is room to fit one with a larger capacity.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links