Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus 450h Tacuma Stolen - Surrey- 2024 Warning

On 1/11/2024 at 6:32 PM, luckyduck said:

I am still waiting to get my canbus fitted - in the meantime I am using a good old Halfords sourced crook lock on the steering wheel - clearly visible and an extra deterrent - on top of this the car is always double locked - if they can still get away wiht my pride and joy, then I know I have done all I can.

In Perspective.. There are Two Types of Car Thieves..Those who are Classed as Professionals Which means Largely your car Is OFF or The Opportunists Who Make up the Majority Of Attempts to Steal your car And if we take Basic Precautions Are Unable to...Sadly all Cars Are At Risk But lexus seem to be a Prime Target..Personally i think a Brick Built Garage with its own secure Alarm system is possibly the best way to secure your pride and joy But Alas not everybody has this facility...My Heart goes out to john in surrey And hope he gets his Beautiful car Returned in a Reasonable Condition Although I Have Grave Doubts......!!!!!

• Like 1

On 1/11/2024 at 1:10 PM, Lexus450h said:

Hi All,

Sadly my  2021 Lexus 450h Tacuma was stolen last night. We have video. The thieves got in under the front passenger wheel arch and somehow opened, started and drove of in the vehicle in under 2 minutes.

Be warned - its not just hiding your keys. Recently fully serviced and valeted --- what can I say ---- I hope it does not happen to you.

I strongly urge you to get a tracker - ( Lexus Link is NOT a tracker - we registered )

All owners beware .

Please please let other Lexus owners know.

Lexus garages are aware - and why they do not fight back and urge Cutoemrs to fit trackers or fix the SECUIRTY FLAW makes me wonder....

What Lexus are going to do.....sympathy.....

Ah well. The most reliable car in the world just got KO'd

JD 

JD,

Mine was stolen from outside my home on Friday night, also in Surrey. Curious to know where you are based…

CANbus plates were due to be fitted after Lexus cancelled on me the day of installation so had to book another slot which was this week coming. 
Sorry for your loss, I know the pain all too well

• Sad 1

These Lexus thieves are only classed as professionals because they’ve invested in ten quidsworth of dark web electronics to bypass Toyota’s ***** poor comms systems.

I’d be interested to know whereabouts these are happening too - Lexus's approach seems to be that London dwellers are priority for canbus plates and the rest of us (and anybody with a non-RX Lexus) can sod off.
Leafy Surrey isn’t what I’d class as London.

9 hours ago, Danny Cowell said:

I completely agree with Larryadler. My Mercedes AMG E43 was stolen last February. I had a Scorpion S5 fitted as per insurance requirement. The tracker was active for two days after the car was stolen. The Police DID NOT ATTEND! The tracker company will only inform the police of the car location.

That's shocking! 

I would have put a complaint in, after all wichever you look at you are out of pocket!

I might get myself in trouble for saying this, but we are too soft in this country and should be more like the French!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Just to add a little nugget of information to the discussion around how well (or not) Lexus are advertising the availability of the protection plate for the RX......

When I was booking in my NX online for it's forthcoming annual service (since COVID my local dealer has employed an automated locker system to drop off the key), I noticed that alongside the usual extras that they try to sell you on the booking website (air con re-gen; mud-flaps; etc.) there was an option to have the plates fitted (should your car be an RX) with a description along the lines of "enhanced protection for your RX". 

Obviously this relies on the owner choosing to book in their car online (assuming their dealer uses this method) and actually noticing the option.

They seem to offer it as an accessory now something that is not really needed but you can use it to achieve enhanced protection. Something like a plastic wrap around your suitcase at airports, or ceramic coating to protect your paint.

A recall is normally only done if there is a safety concern and it looks like Lexus does not really know how to handle the situation. It is not a UK problem only but its spread worldwide in both Toyota and Lexus vehicles so Toyota Legal will have a major say in this as well and they could be afraid that if they recall all cars it will be seen as an admission. This will open the door to numerous claims from insurance companies and private individuals alike. I really feel they want to keep this under the radar as long as possible but you what happens with a smoldering fire don't you?  So far for putting customer first and the relentless pursuit of perfection, all seems a long time ago.

This will bite them hard if they don't fix it.   

• Like 2

23 hours ago, steve2006 said:

“Enhanced protection for your RX” Lexus speak for an anti theft plate 😀

Out of interest did it give a price for this or was it FOC?

There was no mention of price on that particular initial web page - there may have been had I selected that option and delved deeper.

• Like 2

On 1/26/2024 at 10:39 AM, Andy B said:

There was no mention of price on that particular initial web page - there may have been had I selected that option and delved deeper.

Is there some reason why you didn’t think it worthwhile to investigate this option?  

After all, you’ve nothing to lose…apart from your Lexus, of course. 😊

On 1/11/2024 at 2:46 PM, PDM said:

I think a very small subset of Lexus owners use or read this forum (and why should they - for most people it is a way of getting form A to B - they are not enthusiasts).  I don't think it is reasonable to expect an owner of a pretty new vehicle to know that a security enhancement has been made to their vehicle if neither the dealer of manufacturer has alerted them to the fact.

100%. It's good that Lexus produced the plates but surely they have a duty of care to make sure that everyone gets them fitted, having sold vehicles with such a major security flaw. If they made it a recall, they may sell more cars because currently, insurance is getting insane. I've been looking for an RX 450h for quite a while and insurance quotes increased over the last six months from £650 to £1000+, and today it came in at £1400+. I won't now be buying one.

8 hours ago, LenT said:

Is there some reason why you didn’t think it worthwhile to investigate this option?  

After all, you’ve nothing to lose…apart from your Lexus, of course. 😊

Hi Len, I don't own an RX (I have an NX).  If I did though I would definitely have requested the plate.

I just mentioned the availability via the service booking website for the benefit of RX owners on here. 

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links