Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

2021 UX300e AA / CarPlay

Query re: Android Auto / apple CarPlay on my partner’s 2021 (71 plate) UX 300E

My partner has an Android phone, I have an apple Iphone. I use the car occasionally and we would like to be able to select one phone at a time at the start of the journey. We connect via USB cable.

CarPlay worked fine the first time I tried it, but after selecting “prefer Android Auto”, the car doesn’t recognize my Iphone and CarPlay won’t start. This is even after turning off the car in between (and only connecting the iPhone), changing setting to “prefer CarPlay”. AA is working fine in previous journeys.

Any ideas how to switch between phone types? I was considering one phone connecting wirelessly but I don’t know how to try that (I’m not sure if the vehicle has wireless AA and/or CarPlay).

Wireless AA is not an option with Lexus Europe I believe, nor with Toyota. Probably a licensing issue. A wireless dongle solves that and works flawlessly. Judging by the hash-up Toyota make with their apps I think that wireless integration may be too much for them to get their heads around.

I think maybe the issue with having apple and Android would mean deleting one of the phones from the system. Does the apple phone connect wirelessly? Maybe best to start with that then try the wired connection after. Probably will not work but worth a try.

45 minutes ago, Lmafudd said:

Wireless AA is not an option with Lexus Europe I believe, nor with Toyota. Probably a licensing issue. A wireless dongle solves that and works flawlessly. Judging by the hash-up Toyota make with their apps I think that wireless integration may be too much for them to get their heads around.

I think maybe the issue with having Apple and Android would mean deleting one of the phones from the system. Does the Apple phone connect wirelessly? Maybe best to start with that then try the wired connection after. Probably will not work but worth a try.

Thanks Charles. Do you think the car has wireless apple CarPlay? This is what I thought, but haven't figured out how to connect to it yet. 

10 hours ago, ArneT said:

Thanks Charles. Do you think the car has wireless Apple CarPlay? This is what I thought, but haven't figured out how to connect to it yet. 

Apologies but I think I'm confusing the UX with the C-HR I had for a short time. The latter had wireless apple but not Android. Looking at my UX handbook the connections are all wired.

I don't entertain apple stuff so only have Android. I bought this and it works flawlessly. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0BRQ3RWFX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

This hides away nicely under the storage tray in the center console.

55 minutes ago, Lmafudd said:

Apologies but I think I'm confusing the UX with the C-HR I had for a short time. The latter had wireless Apple but not Android. Looking at my UX handbook the connections are all wired.

I don't entertain Apple stuff so only have Android. I bought this and it works flawlessly. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0BRQ3RWFX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

This hides away nicely under the storage tray in the center console.

no problem. I've done a bit more research and it seems wireless connectivity (AA and CarPlay) was introduced in the 2022 facelift, so that could explain why I wasn't able to do it!

I don't entertain Android stuff, but can look at that dongle for connecting my partner's phone to her car. Thanks for the tip.

Like a few others on here, I have been using the AAWireless dongle to connect my Android phone to Android Auto "wirelessly" and it does the job perfectly so this may be the solution for your partner's phone. Furthermore, if you purchase the 2nd generation of the dongle, there is currently a beta program ongoing which will hopefully enable it to also work with apple CarPlay in the near future. So in theory you'll only need the one dongle between you.

https://www.aawireless.io/carplay

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/15/2024 at 10:48 AM, Andy B said:

Like a few others on here, I have been using the AAWireless dongle to connect my Android phone to Android Auto "wirelessly" and it does the job perfectly so this may be the solution for your partner's phone. Furthermore, if you purchase the 2nd generation of the dongle, there is currently a beta program ongoing which will hopefully enable it to also work with Apple CarPlay in the near future. So in theory you'll only need the one dongle between you.

https://www.aawireless.io/carplay

Thanks for this Andy, I missed your reply until today and will look into this option.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links