Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Great video on amazon car fuses

I wonder why supposedly fuses for cars are rated and tested in the video at 32 Volts and not 12 Volts?
There is a significant difference in the power rating between the 2  voltages, if you take 32 Volts @ 2A = 64W, 12 Volts @ 2A = 24W.

It would be nice to see how OEM fuses perform under the same conditions.

In electronics there are various types of fuses, slow blow, quick blow, time delay and anti surge to mention just a few and domestic fuses/circuit breakers also have different characteristics for the same current values as in Type B/C etc. So which type do we have in vehicles I wonder.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

I wonder why supposedly fuses for cars are rated and tested in the video at 32 Volts and not 12 Volts?

Fuses don't blow based on voltage or power just current. So it makes sense to use a common fuse for both 12v and 24v vehicles (with 24v vehicles commonly having voltages near 29v when charging). The voltage rating is more related to the gap between the fusible link inside the fuse which needs to be greater on higher voltage applications to stop arcing between the two points.

I think all standard automotive fuses are slow blow - they should be able to work at the rating current indefinitely, but I would expect them to blow within a second or two if you doubled their capacity. 

• Like 1

This video is entertaining. Not sure educational. 

The trouble with buying such things from amazon or eBay is that more often than not its the same sellers selling the stuff.

The ratings are not actually fake. They're taken from which seller offers amazon more moolah, spondoolicks etc.

There was a programme on TV not long ago about such.

Unfortunately however you pays your hard earned for goods which either are worth it or not. Most goods are manufactured in China. Some good and some cheap n nasty. So you pays ya money and takes ya chance. 

A bit like those super bright replacement LED interior lights which fail within a few weeks taking out, in my case, the integration relay when I had my 94 Celsior.

When the original filament bulbs tend to last the life of the car I now leave it as that.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links