Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Will this be fatal and need add to your list Malc.

This is the photo of my 95 Ls400 rear screen nomenclature ….. just Toyota NOT Lexus …… maybe not an original but I’ve never seen anything in its history about a busted rear screen 

Malc 

IMG_3342.jpeg

LS400  This the info I have:  back window part# 64810-50041   from1/8/92-31/10/94  [SERIES2]

part# 64810-50040 from 1/12/89-31/8/92 [SERIES1]

The last two numbers on 50040 and 50041 change according to the glass colour

DON'T KNOW IF THIS IS ANY USE

• Like 1

Autoglass had no luck in tracing a replacement.This is an interesting DIY video with lots of tips.  Didn't know you could buy Plastic Chisels. Assumed removal would be with a Cheese cutter wire.  Does anyone know if the rear panels hiding the electrical connections to the demister just prise off or are they screwed?  So wet today I wasn't going to take a look.  £75 to have autoglass come and crash wrap the rear. No thanks I've already done it but I suppose taking out the glass will be bit of a job as it flies everywhere. 

Stuart hi. Have you asked the insurers yet for an early view, pre-claim,  before making a claim ?

Malc 

2 minutes ago, runsgrateasanut said:

Likely do today as Autoglass reported back that they couldn't find a replacement.  Will find out the options as first time I've had such a situation.

Wish you very well with all this …….. even getting one bespoke made up north ! 

Ah a thought. USA had loads of these age Ls400s ….. source there maybe 🤔

Malc 

11 hours ago, Malc1 said:

Stuart hi. Have you asked the insurers yet for an early view, pre-claim,  before making a claim ?

Malc 

I spoke to the insurers and told them Autoglass Windscreens came up with a blank after searching for a replacement.  They suggested I phone Nationwide Windscreens who answered as "Saga" and said they have changed their name and are supplied by Autoglass Windscreens. So, back to Saga who then suggested I should contact  a local Garage which I suggested was pointless. They then said to contact my local Lexus Distributors. I said this was pointless as Autoglass will have already approached Lexus to find out any stock item somewhere. So, I wasted twenty minutes of time being shunted back and forth from HO to Ipswich to Colchester Lexus and eventually a guy kept me waiting for ten minutes and said they couldn't help.  So, back to Saga on Monday for options.

• Sad 1

I think that unless you track down the north of England guys making new glass and the Breakers around incl eBay whatever then you’re likely to get to the disappointed stage 

a USA breaker might be able to help but the carriage might be a tad fraught 

a few hours and on the phone searching might entail BUT you might get success the unconventional way ……. the alternative might simply be the insce write-off and into the crusher sadly …… the insurers won’t hesitate to make it simple for themselves  

Malc 

Importing from USA unlikely to find a seller willing and what chance it arrives in one piece.  What are the options for total loss do insurers usually offer. Is it a price and they take the Car or a price and you can negotiate a reduction for the standard Scrappie value and you keep the Car?  If the latter (and I make a plastic rear screen) would the insurance which is valid until April still cover the Car.  I'm with Saga fully comp which covers glass but don't have a clue as to what insurers usually do in such case. Anyone know? 

My 95 Ls400 Cat N with Saga and still fully comp insured with them 

They wrote the car off end 2018’ish for a squashed rear door that was repaired at my cost The repair estimate was @£1500….. I bought the car back from them ….. a bit of a battle on the phone with several Saga people coz they wanted the car scrapped ….. I was very firm at that point ….. it was all just a few £00’s really ….. I felt they wanted an older 4ltr V8 off the road ! ….. my car owes me about £500 these days after the Cat N and Saga paid me out about £500 after xcs if I remember …… but I do have the car and Saga still insure it Fully Comprehensive ( for what that’s worth at 248k miles and Cat N  ! ) 

I pay £448 pa fully comp insce now, this month, coming into the 2nd year of a 3yr rolling fixed price contract with 5000 miles pa limit etc etc etc 

They told  me on the phone the other week that they now don’t insure cars after 30 years young 🥵 ……. they would NOT insure my 91 Ls400 for this reason 

I will then probably go with an Adrian Flux group company that insure my 91 Ls400  . But that’s a way off yet thankfully 

What your situation will be with Saga heaven alone knows …… this is what happened to me 

I would still be persevering on the replacement glass front if I could 

Good luck 

Malc 

• Like 1

Delighted to report that I have just had fitted a s/h rear windscreen. Didn't want to raise my hopes until it was "in situ".  My thanks to Paul Frost who suggested that there may be one on Facebook Marketplace.  Found an ad which had been on for 24 weeks and the guy was just about to smash the rear screen as he wanted to use the body for stock car racing. Just in time and he offered to take it out of the remains of the Car. It was soemthing I couldn't do. Also my friend wo collected my Lexus from France a couple of years back also lived in Northampton and agreed to collect it and bring it down to Essex.  Today it has been fitted.  It has a glass mark Toyota Automotive Temperlite.

Saved th old Girl from the Knackers Yard.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

That’s absolutely BRILLIANT news 

very Well Done and now breathing a huge sigh of relief 

I daren’t ask the cost of all this BUT whatever much better than deploying your dear old Ls400 to the scrapper 

Worth its weight in gold, well a few £000’s anyway 

Can you photo the screen markings to post here ….. I’d like to try to comprehend those hieroglyphics with Temperlite  

Excellent outcome 👍

Malc 

• Like 1

Bearing in mind this Screen had been in a Farmyard with crud all over it, its come up very well.  Not tried the Demister but continuity was checked.  I cleaned the crud but the fitter took off all the bonding and it took him about an hour to fit.  Looks like it has extra connection point to a line that goes nowhere?

IMG_0370.JPG

IMG_0374.JPG

• Thanks 1

somewhat different style of nomenclature ....  maybe it was a " new " rear screen for the donor car at some point !

Hopefully the heater demister element will work but if it doesn't, well, at least the weather stays outside the car 

Well done again  👋

Malc

9 hours ago, runsgrateasanut said:

Gold Lexus  reg L400JEP  the MOT fail back in 2018(?) owing  to rust issues

Wow, the MOT fail was in 2016 some 8 years back ……. amazing the donor car wasn’t scrapped long back 

You’re sooooo lucky to have found it ……. Well done again 👍

Malc 

Regret to report that my good luck ran out the same evening the Glass was fitted.  Was awoken this morning by the neighbour after a night of rain to be told that yobs had targeted the screen again and it was broken with both sides shattered.

We've lived in this house for 38 years and not had vandalism before.  Haven't spoken to any youths or given the evil eye to anyone, but the culprit/s having seen that the tarp was no longer on the screen, sometime last night attacked the Car again. There has been vandalism in the Town recently.

I have advanced prostate cancer and Lmphodema and being "Sunset strip" in age see this as the end of the Car.  Can't do it all again even if possible.  Someone has taken exception to a Classic Car and so I'll speak to the Insurers but if anyone wants the Car for parts then I'll let you know a price after the Insurers give me a value.  Really disappointed at this. Was looking forward to driving it today.

• Sad 1

So so sad to hear this devastating news   It’s just TERRIBLE 

My heart goes out to you   Buy yourself another Ls400 immediately the insurers have settled with you 

Really hope the Police get the buggers and clap ‘em in irons, break their legs whatever …… I’m fuming for you 🥵

Malc 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Malc1 said:

So so sad to hear this devastating news   It’s just TERRIBLE 

My heart goes out to you   Buy yourself another Ls400 immediately the insurers have settled with you 

Really hope the Police get the buggers and clap ‘em in irons, break their legs whatever …… I’m fuming for you 🥵

Malc 

Stuart I’d let you have my 91 Mk1 car as replacement but if you’re being targeted coz it’s a Classic car then that would be challenging to bear tbh

Malc 

4 minutes ago, lex - eleven said:

Did your dashhcam catch them?

I didn't have it set up with the rear view / vibration- not too au fait with these things. Chinoisorie instructions usually baffle me.

Malc you are right it seems that they don't like something a bit special. My dilemma is what will happen if I replace it with a an S Class. Will the same thing happen?  Rozzers have been informed but unlikely to take an interest, though my Neighbour opposite side has CCTV set up but is away in Germany until Wednesday. On his return, say Friday I'll ask if he can look back. on the recordings. Happens at night and they probably wear Hoodies though I've never clocked the little group, only heard voices from within. Not been out during the two weeks as walking is difficult and tiring.  Been thinking of two options. Possibly a 3D Printer could maybe could print a plastic Screen?  Or, I can cover the area with a heavy duty Canvas with a Window of Perspex. Affixing is the problem. This  LOL https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203537995090?itmmeta=01HQ09EPVW0V40DMEHK3F1PJGF&hash=item2f63cf5552:g:2foAAOSwJOtlsRyM&itmprp=enc%3AAQAIAAAAwDnYfjbKJIgEexaTkjzn5C4btM4IraPw2xZsbgdF2%2Fsl8M8M0XGhVFobvBwzEP71zLS2xtLjK2myyjmRfMpdvXy%2Fc%2Fs8VNvC3dfbwcW6Zk%2FLY0d9SPjjzuXBfhHT1DLEv1eEHdTUXGeOxV%2BY7U4mfS4%2BYLHozHhRXdsEN1FZc0aFAVnGO2JDezc%2FxYb0cIt09t3mODArRcIWzJmn317hJGsvFNCQTHffoynVeBIjoeQkZjqpCeLyYXv1beYhTjlmQQ%3D%3D|tkp%3ABlBMUILuuom4Yw   

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links