Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Polishing infotainment screen

This is going to seem like a very stupid question, but would it be a good idea to polish the infotainment screen?

My screen is fairly damaged, previous owner seemed to have not been careful around it. I figured a mild compound wouldn't be too aggressive and would remove a plethora of the damage.

It's not a touchscreen, so there shouldn't be any olephobic coating to rub off?

Yes, I would imagine there is an anti-glare coating. Members have been caught out by this before, this is from an IS300h that didn't like a cleaner that was used on the screen:

image.thumb.png.2c53eaf1f544cca9b3dbc7509326ad0e.png

If that happens then you just need to completely remove the coating to stop it looking horrible. 

Our NX screen coating was gradually damaged when the car was valeted (I no longer let anyone else clean the interior of our cars other then the dealer vacuum at servicing).  By the time I realised it was happening it was too late (it started lifting at the edges).  The anti glare is very susceptible to common interior car cleaning materials.  I believe there was an admitted fault on some IS screens but that may have only been in the USA.  When it happened on our NX I complained and got nowhere.  So I just went to the valeter, asked what he used, bought some myself and used that on a micro fibre cloth to remove the rest of the coating.  Took a while but it all came off.  And once it was completely removed I could not notice a difference between when the coating was undamaged versus completely removed. 

As long as the underlying screen surface is not damaged you should be ok.  IIRC the product was Frogchem silicone gloss.  Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Paul

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I seem to remember the was a TSB that replaced the outer glass on the display for this issue can’t remember if it was for IS or NX but the parts were quite cheap at the time. I have polished them befor but it never looked the same and always had a slight glare  

• Sad 1

Is it possible that the protective film on new car screens is still there and was never removed.These films are sometimes of such good quality,they are very hard to see.I found a piece of protective film on one of my watch bracelets recently...after 4 years of wear!.......insert chosen Specsavers joke here..

• Like 1

I'll attach some pics to show how bad it really is

WhatsAppImage2024-03-29at21_23.03(1).thumb.jpeg.4ebbbff4d2e0ab2623f52bc92dfed9e7.jpeg

WhatsAppImage2024-03-29at21_23_03.thumb.jpeg.121ee36055756ad4e5be24395f88373a.jpeg

WhatsAppImage2024-03-29at21_23_02.thumb.jpeg.ced362127a813f52203cf247272cf37a.jpeg

There are also a couple small chips right on the screen! i can't imagine what would possess someone to damage the screen that way considering it's not even touch screen. Fortunately this damage isn't really visibile unless it's in direct sunlight, and for the moment 80% of my drives are after sunset.

I tried polishing the gear selector indicator as it was lightly scuffed but that didn't work and may've made the situation worse, unwilling to back down i also tried polishing the screen behind the drive mode selector in case it came out rubbish and lo and behold... it was. Seems polishing will likely ruin the antiglare and keep the scratches anyway. If i ever end up going to a professional i'll ask for a hail mary but in the mean time it's whatever.

No sure if it for you screen but this is the TSB might be worth checking the price if it’s in the vin range just don’t use any chemicals to clean the screen it seems to absorb them. 

IMG_0140.png

14 hours ago, Rizzoe said:

WhatsAppImage2024-03-29at21_23.03(1).thumb.jpeg.4ebbbff4d2e0ab2623f52bc92dfed9e7.jpeg

WhatsAppImage2024-03-29at21_23_03.thumb.jpeg.121ee36055756ad4e5be24395f88373a.jpeg

WhatsAppImage2024-03-29at21_23_02.thumb.jpeg.ced362127a813f52203cf247272cf37a.jpeg

There are also a couple small chips right on the screen! i can't imagine what would possess someone to damage the screen that way considering it's not even touch screen. Fortunately this damage isn't really visibile unless it's in direct sunlight, and for the moment 80% of my drives are after sunset.

I tried polishing the gear selector indicator as it was lightly scuffed but that didn't work and may've made the situation worse, unwilling to back down i also tried polishing the screen behind the drive mode selector in case it came out rubbish and lo and behold... it was. Seems polishing will likely ruin the antiglare and keep the scratches anyway. If i ever end up going to a professional i'll ask for a hail mary but in the mean time it's whatever.

Unfortunately this looks like scratches rather than the coating lifting off.

Not sure if you can get a new plastic cover? (Issue is it may only be sold with the screen as one part).

Paul

• Like 1

On 3/30/2024 at 12:13 PM, PDM said:

Unfortunately this looks like scratches rather than the coating lifting off.

I agree, they must've cleaned it with sandpaper and toothpaste and finished it off with a wire brush.

For now i'll live with it as my initial idea was to change the 7" screen with the 10.3".  

• Haha 1

I posted on here back in 2022 a couple of weeks after I picked up my new UX, I discovered some deep scratches on my screen (not the big one) the dealer replaced it under warranty. At that stage I had not so much as flicked a duster around the inside. I was difficult to see unless you viewed it from a certain angle.

I looks to me as if the screen material is quite delicate.

Bill D.

3 hours ago, Bill Dawes said:

I discovered some deep scratches on my screen (not the big one) the dealer replaced it under warranty.

How'd you manage that, Was it right off the lot? Mine is under factory warranty until October of this year but i can't imagine they'd do anything more than laugh at me if i asked for a screen replacement.

3 hours ago, Rizzoe said:

How'd you manage that, Was it right off the lot? Mine is under factory warranty until October of this year but i can't imagine they'd do anything more than laugh at me if i asked for a screen replacement.

Got to be worth a try ...

On 3/29/2024 at 9:32 PM, Rizzoe said:

Mamma mia che disastro!

• Sad 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links